Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The PCGS Early American Coins and Tokens Basic Design Set 1616-1820 (We're Done!)

Comments

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I added the French Colonies Copper Sou.
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic coins CCU and a great thread. I'd love to learn more about colonials.
  • Options
    BajajimBajajim Posts: 529
    Amazing coins with informative discussion...much of the reason I follow this forum.
  • Options
    I added the Continental Dollar.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I added the Continental Dollar. >>

Finally! One I recognize.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I added the Continental Dollar. >>

Finally! One I recognize.

Russ, NCNE >>

I am presenting these in the order of the PCGS set, which parallels the Redbook order (pretty much, but not exactly).
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful display.
  • Options
    Ladies and gentlemen: The Nova Constellatio has been added.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hibernia halfpenny almost looks prooflike. That coin deffinately circulated in the colonies. I know of dozens of examples that have been found with metal detectors in Massachussets alone, including 1 by me.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Absolutely awesome coins!!!!

Thanks for posting.

hrh

• Options

<< <i>The Hibernia halfpenny almost looks prooflike. >>

Because that one is a proof pattern. It is graded PCGS PF66 and is likely finest of less than a dozen known of this type.

• Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Wow! CCU, you have been paid the ultimate compliment -- a post from HRH himself.

Colonials are, incidentally, what brought HRH and I together for the first time. I wonder if he remembers it as clearly as I do -- summer ANA in 1991. I was calling him a capitalist heathen for wanting to slab colonials. Hopefully everyone won't think me a total kiss-ass if I admit in public here to David and others that slabbing colonials, while not perfect, has worked out better in the last 16 years than I thought it would have. And I still have the copy of HRH's book that he signed for me when we met, incribed "from one heartless capitalist to another."

I probably should not mention, however, that I once gleefully broke one of the exact specimens depicted above out of its PCGS holder. image

CCU -- THANK YOU for sharing this amazing group of images and keeping my favorite series on the first page. I think it's inspired more than one reader here to more deeply explore these fantastic coins.

EDIT: That Nova Constellatio, aside from the pedigree, has to be one of the most beautifully preserved examples not only of the series but of that entire era of early American issues. And, better yet, it's a type that everyone can afford and hope to obtain in a decent grade.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    This thread just gets better and better...
  • Options

<< <i>I probably should not mention, however, that I once gleefully broke one of the exact specimens depicted above out of its PCGS holder. image >>

And I almost as gleefully put it back in.

I wonder if the forum can guess which one it was?
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    incredible coins john!
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭

If I were a rich man, this is the set I'd have.

Wow!!!!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

And another thing, I LOVE the 1766 Pitt Halfpenny. It REALLY has that "Colonial" look. image

• Options

<< <i>And another thing, I LOVE the 1766 Pitt Halfpenny. It REALLY has that "Colonial" look. image >>

I like how the die engraver tried to shoehorn in that little tiny 'R' at the end of RESTORER as if no one would notice that he screwed up.
  • Options

<< <i>I like how the die engraver tried to shoehorn in that little tiny 'R' at the end of RESTORER as if no one would notice that he screwed up. >>

image I'd call it character. It's this sort of crude design and workmanship that I find so endearing about early American coinage.

• Options
    I added the 1787 Immunis Columbia.
  • Options
    And then the Massachusetts Cent.
  • Options

Geez, the Mass Cent still has some red! image

• Options

<< <i>Geez, the Mass Cent still has some red! image >>

If you had enough time and money you could find another Mass Cent with red on it. But not another Pitt Halfpenny.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your collection is where I'd want to be, if I'd only had the wherewithall and the sticktoitiveness.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    This is not my collection.

This is an amalgam of coins we have sold or placed in recent years, plus a picture or two I snagged off the internet, and one item in our current stock because I couldn't find a picture to replace it.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is not my collection.

This is an amalgam of coins we have sold or placed in recent years, plus a picture or two I snagged off the internet, and one item in our current stock because I couldn't find a picture to replace it. >>

CCU - do you still maintain a personal collection? If so, is it mostly colonials?
  • Options
    I have a few colonials, a 1932 Indian $10, a wildly toned 1946 Dime I bought from LucyBop, 1 Hard Times Token and a box of weird stuff.
  • Options

Of course, we're dieing to know what sort of items are in your "box of weird stuff".

• Options
    I added the Connecticut. And if anyone wants to know what's in my box of weird stuff, PM me. I don't want to go off on a tangent in this thread.
  • Options

Amazing... The 1787 Connecticut 'Laughing Head' looks as though it's a counterfeit. But I only say that because I've never seen Early American coinage in such high grade nor would I know the difference between the real thing and otherwise.

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I've been reading this thread since its beginning and the coins just keep getting better and better!

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    I added a particularly uninspiring picture of a beautiful type - the New York Excelsior copper. I'll look to upgrade this photo before this thread finally succumbs.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This bears repeating. What great stuff!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I added a Machin's Mills Halfpenny.
  • Options
    I added the Nova Eborac, Large Head.

Nova Eborac is Latin for New York. Usually the regular type is seen, this one is a Large Head of which there are about 30 known in all grades (that's known - not just slabbed).
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John, what a great group of Colonials! imageimage

I like the Higley the best. Any Higley is extremely difficult to acquire!

The set you've posted certainly cannot be purchased easily!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just opened this thread for the first time.........WOW. Damn nice stuff man!!!! The Pine Tree sent me into convulsions. image
  • Options
    I added the New Jersey copper. This is a common Maris 56-n Camel Head type (among the most common of all NJ types) but unusual in that it is very well made with all of the design bold and clear.
  • Options
    I added the Vermont Landscape. This is a Ryder-7 variety, VERMONTENSIUM type, and is one of the more popular colonial type coins with it's interesting landscape motif that is unlike any other issue in the colonial series.

These are not terribly rare, and there are usually a few on the market at any given time - but they never look like this. Most are struck on flawed planchets with pits or fissures, many are cleaned and recolored.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love this thread.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Love this thread. >>

Indeed! Love those coins! image
  • Options
    I added the 1787 Vermont Brittania, Ryder 13 variety.

This is an interesting issue, having been struck with a reverse die that was extremely worn such that the coins exhibit very little detail on this side.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    I'm really enjoying this thread, CCU. It reminds me of the old TV or movie serials in which the last episode leaves me anticipating the next.
  • Options
    I added the 1781 North American Token, and it's a pretty nice one.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    This is an incredible thread!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    I added the Bar Cent (with thanks to CoinFacts for the image).
  • Options
    After a brief sabbatical, I have added the Auctori Plebis Token.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Damn that's such a nice collection. Those examples are just incredible, mostly in that fact that they were able to survive in such condition for so long.

Please keep us updated whenever, if-ever, you add more coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Damn that's such a nice collection. Those examples are just incredible, mostly in that fact that they were able to survive in such condition for so long. >>

Interestingly, at least a few example of most every colonial issue have survived in true mint state. I'm not sure how, or why, but they have - and many (but not all) are still relatively affordable compared to other areas of numismatics.

Having said that, the most recent addition, the Auctori Plebis, is not one of them. I am not aware of a mint state survivor, slabbed or raw, anywhere.

So if anyone has a picture of one, please send it to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file