Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

most feared hitter in baseball

hmmmm........what do all the Bonds haters think he is taking now?

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Barry Bonds SF 24 67 19 23 3 0 9 21 23 10 1 0 .343 .511 .791 1.302
Albert Pujols STL 26 100 13 28 4 0 6 15 11 12 0 1 .280 .363 .500 .863

HR/AB - Bonds - 10%
Pujols - 5.4%

Walks/AB - Bonds - 25%, Pujols - 10%

ratios adjusted for walks, i.e. walks count as an AB.
Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set

Comments

• Options
    baseballfanaticbaseballfanatic Posts: 2,415 ✭✭

<< <i>hmmmm........what do all the Bonds haters think he is taking now? >>

HGH image
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    of all-time? Ted Williams
  • Options
    Joey Cora!

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    My daughter just signed up for Tee Ball. She starts next week. I will have to hold off on my opinion until then
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>hmmmm........what do all the Bonds haters think he is taking now? >>

HGH, just like he's been for years. Any more questions???
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
  • Options
    <<HGH, just like he's been for years. Any more questions??? >..

so, you take HGH and you become the most feared hitter in baseball? Seems simple enough. Does he just take more than all the other players or is his HGH a special blend?
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options

<< <i><<HGH, just like he's been for years. Any more questions??? >..

so, you take HGH and you become the most feared hitter in baseball? Seems simple enough. Does he just take more than all the other players or is his HGH a special blend? >>

Isnt it odd when they start testing for steroids he becomes injured before spring training and sits out til September?image
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭✭
    imageI would have to say my son Scott. The other night he as intentionally walked in T-BALL.--Thats fear by the opposing team.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    1. Bonds probably was a knowing cheat, of course he is far from the only one.
    2. Bonds often is portrayed as a total jerk.
    3. If you think you are going to see a better player in your lifetime, you'd better plan on living a LONG time.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Easy question.....Homer Simpson.

Not to many batters have a song in their honor....

Sung to the music of ``Talkin' Baseball''

Well, Mr. Burns had done it. [Burns laughs]
    The power plant had won it. [Charlie scores winning run]
    With Roger Clemens clucking all the while.
    [Clemens clucking on the mound]
    Mike Scioscia's tragic illness made us smile. [Scioscia being Geigered]
    While Wade Boggs lay unconscious on the barroom tile. [Barney punches Boggs]
    We're talkin'... Softball. [Various people hit the ball]
    From Maine to San Diego. Talking'... [Homer's slo-mo homer]
    Softball. Mattingly and Canseco. [Mattingly answers the door] [Canseco heads into the fire]
    Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw. [Griffey wheeled into the hospital]
    Steve Sax and his run-in with the law. [Sax arrested and in the clink]
    We're talkin' Homer... [Homer tips his cap] Ozzie, and the Straw. [Smith at bunting practice] [Strawberry lands after leaping catch]
    We're talkin'... Softball. [Beer warmups] From Maine to San Diego. [Apu and another man pitch]
    Talkin'... Softball. [Burns gives the signals]
    Mattingly and Canseco. [Mattingly's haircut] [Canseco rescues a dryer] Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw. [Clips of Griffey swilling tonic]
    Steve Sax and his run-in with the law. [Police car in rear-view mirror]
    We're talkin' Homer... [Homer's game-winning hit-by-pitch] Ozzie, and the Straw.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>hmmmm........what do all the Bonds haters think he is taking now?

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    Barry Bonds SF 24 67 19 23 3 0 9 21 23 10 1 0 .343 .511 .791 1.302
    Albert Pujols STL 26 100 13 28 4 0 6 15 11 12 0 1 .280 .363 .500 .863

HR/AB - Bonds - 10%
    Pujols - 5.4%

Walks/AB - Bonds - 25%, Pujols - 10%

ratios adjusted for walks, i.e. walks count as an AB. >>

I agree with you crave.

Some other issues to take into consideration:
    PacBell is the toughest HR park,
    lineup of each team (Durham batting in power spot, when had been a leadoff hitter most of career) vs Rolen, Edmonds, Duncan,
    with Bonds supposedly bad attitude vs. Pujols good boy image, you would think that Pujols would get the marginal pitch calls from umps.

On the topic of steroids and other banned substances, I have heard some medical experts state that becoming over muscled will hamper baseball and golf swings. Why didn't Arnold Schwartzenegger (sp?) play baseball?

Also some of the experts said that the banned substances are more for recooperating muscle after injury / intense play. So it was more beneficial for pitchers than batters.

My 2 cents

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Yea, he's not juicin'

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I have heard some medical experts state that becoming over muscled will hamper baseball and golf swings >>

I remember back in the early 90s when Rubien Sierra was playing for the A's. He suddenly got really big and muscular, and his career took a sharp decline.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>Yea, he's not juicin'

image >>

Wow. That body couldnt even hold his head now....
  • Options
    baseballfanatic.....before and after pics? come on. let's see yours. image
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Saw this 2001 World Series pic of Luis Gonzalez yesterday and found it amusing -

• Options
    To heck with walking Barry, just plunk him in his gigantic head...

softball from Maine to San Diego...softball... Mattingly and Canseco! image

thanks for the memories! One of my favorite simpsons episodes ever... prompted me to name my bowling team the Springfield Isotopes for a season... (very few people got the reference)
  • Options

Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options

<< <i>image

image >>

Are you implying something??
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I think that cravetopps is saving Puljols looks good in red or on a red background.....image

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    His head still looks in proportion, so it must be weights and good nutrition and not BOND'S BEEF ROID CREAM ®

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Hmmm, that is a tough one .
    I can't remember the name of that gigantic dude Buggs Bunny was pitching to , but his baseball bat looked like a Giant redwood .

I guess I would have to go with Barry, even though he may or may not be taking steroids when the pitchers get to him, they have to be thinkin . . . . " Damn ! . . . damn damn damn damn damn .
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Clue Heywood.
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I'm not sure who is the most feared hitter in baseball today, but on the all-time list, certainly Nolan Ryan comes to mind:

As far as the least feared hitter in baseball, I'd have to go with Don Zimmer:

• Options
    "most feared hitter in baseball?"

If this is the actual question, its easy ~ Travis Hafner! You can just walk Bonds or Pujols and try your hand at the hitters behind. In Cleveland its a little tougher though and Pronks OPS show that he's just as dangerous with the bat...

Now, obviously it was just a question posed to talk about Bonds though, and that being the case then I'll add my two cents:

As touched on by Alfonz, his park does limit HRs like crazy! His totals there are just mind-boggling… Is it the result of drugs? Like Alfonz also mentions “no”, steroids do not equal HR numbers!

Steroids can = bulk in body…
    Bulk in body = less speed in bat...
    Less speed in bat = fewer HR…
    Fewer HR = Steroids

Difference comes in HGH, but this doesn’t increase power at all ~ it stretches the muscles and in turn increases recovery time and leg speed. It also pulls those muscles to the point of also snapping though resulting in lots of hamstring problems but beside the point. Who are the players getting caught on HGH again? Oh yeah most are either pitchers or middle infielders/speedy outfielders. Huh, why is it only the slap hitters are the ones getting caught? Sure, power hitters can use it to get over injuries faster, but it isn’t going to increase muscle and it isn’t going to help you hit HRs.

Besides, its not like Muscle = HR anyway ~ its all about the swing; timing and hand-eye coordination help you hit HRs, not muscles! Look at Strawberry; the bat he was swinging was thicker than his arms when he came up but he had no problem putting them over the wall!

Bonds = best eye we have ever seen in the game and one of the prettiest swings. His bat speed is beyond comprehension and those are the reasons he hits the HRs like he does, not something that helps you get over tired muscles faster!

Seagard said it best with this:
    3. If you think you are going to see a better player in your lifetime, you'd better plan on living a LONG time.
    Currently searching for 05 Upper Deck Origins & Old Judge Autos #/5 (Feller, Hafner, V.Martinez & Rosen)
    and 06 SP Authentic “By The Numbers” Letter Autos (Sabathia, Hafner, Sowers, V.Martinez & Lee)
  • Options
    His head still looks in proportion, so it must be weights and good nutrition and not BOND'S BEEF ROID CREAM ®

Looks like this stuff was available over the counter in the 20s and 30s as well. image

Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options

<< <i>Hmmm, that is a tough one .
    I can't remember the name of that gigantic dude Buggs Bunny was pitching to , but his baseball bat looked like a Giant redwood .

I guess I would have to go with Barry, even though he may or may not be taking steroids when the pitchers get to him, they have to be thinkin . . . . " Damn ! . . . damn damn damn damn damn . >>

imageimage
  • Options
    Everyone puts on weight and fills out. Bonds was 24, now he's 42. I don't know about drugs. Something like fast food could do that to a person. How come he's not coming up positive now? 744 today?
    ORANGE
  • Options
  • Options
    Crave, dont get into a "now and then" argument over this, it means nothing as everyone bulks up over time, esp those who lift weights. Frank Thomas is a great example of someone like that ~ his arms are now like 5 times the size of my head! ~ and we all believe he is natural…

Bulk does not equal HRs (swing does) and HGH doesnt help you hit HRs ~ thats all the argument needed!

You can take all the steroids in the world but you would have to have ‘better than amazing’ bat speed and ‘better than amazing’ hand-eye coordination to hit HRs because of um. Most players that use Steroids might be able to increase their power numbers for a year (maybe two) but then the swing, coordination and wear in muscles take their toll. If Bonds was on steroids he defies what they do to your body by continuing to play for so long and just get better all the time (when not injured)... On the flip side, patience and pitch recognition is usually what you see as players progress in their careers ~ just like Bonds is doing and being questioned because of.

If you really want to show something interesting, show Bonds vs Aaron in a year by year (by age) breakdown of stats and you will be amazed at the near identical patterns in their advancement at the plate as far as power goes. Peak years, increase years... it all matches; and it starts to show how this can be done naturally for those who just dont want to believe it because they dont like Barry.
    Currently searching for 05 Upper Deck Origins & Old Judge Autos #/5 (Feller, Hafner, V.Martinez & Rosen)
    and 06 SP Authentic “By The Numbers” Letter Autos (Sabathia, Hafner, Sowers, V.Martinez & Lee)
  • Options
    Work out for a couple years and you could look like that too.
    ORANGE
  • Options

<< <i>

I guess I would have to go with Barry, even though he may or may not be taking steroids when the pitchers get to him, they have to be thinkin . . . . " Damn ! . . . damn damn damn damn damn . >>

imageimage >>

LMMFAO Stingray ! Thanks a lot man !
    I was goin crazy tryin to think of where I could a picture or a name of what I was talkin about and that's exactly it !
    How the heck did ya come up with that ?
    I was going on memory over here and I guess I was right . . . . it was a tree
  • Options
    <<<< His head still looks in proportion, so it must be weights and good nutrition >>>

draw your own conclusions...
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

imageimage >>

LMMFAO Stingray ! Thanks a lot man !
    I was goin crazy tryin to think of where I could a picture or a name of what I was talkin about and that's exactly it !
    How the heck did ya come up with that ?
    I was going on memory over here and I guess I was right . . . . it was a tree
    image >>

That's Gashouse Gorilla!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Vlad would be considered one of the most feared hitters in today's age anyway... and Pujols obvioulsy.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Ruth or Williams. Probably give the nod to Williams as a pure hitter, since Ruth (obviously) could do it all, on the mound and off. Then again, Cobb as most feared might get the nod - certainly the most reviled/scared of, what with the spikes and 'tude and all...
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Pedro Cerano
  • Options
    When the other team walks a batter with a runner on 1st or with the bases loaded - that makes you the most feared hitter in baseball - period. And this fact - not about innocence or guilt.