Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Title Changed: Today 1-04-02 UpDates in 10 Different Sets. "Very Cool" Merc Registry

Appears to Me that alot of Set owners from other series take the Registry a whole lot seriously than We do. What do you think? To Me it is only a question of whether you have any Morals and whether you are a True Collector. Edited To Add: Today(1-04-2002) went to the Registry and noticed that updates have been made to 10 different sets. The updates included some Very Hard dates to find in the conditions that were added. Looks like the Mercury Dime Collectors would rather Collect than sit around and Whine about trival problems. Sure some problems are present,but nothing that is EARTH Shattering IMO. Take Care and the Fun has just Begun. Kenimageimage

Comments

• Options
    Ken, Good evening!
    I just left my only thought about this in another thread. I said when the time comes to get my coins reholdered with my name on them, they will know that I own them. This is one sure fire way of telling the truth. If we all want our coins petigreed properly, then I dont think if someone was "leasing" a coin could get it from the rightful owner and put thier name on it. I think that would be when the line would be drawn. What are your thoughts? I couldn't sleep at night knowing that I was that dishonest as to cheat at such a game. This was set out to be a fun thing for the collector. Anyway, enough from this corner, I hope everyone has a very prosperous New Year!!!!!!
    Dennis

My Dimes
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Dennis: I put a response in on ModMan's Post on this Forumn. Looks like to me some of these other people DONOT know how to have a little Fun. Boy am I glad that the Merc people do not stoop to Leasing Coins, at least the ones that Post frequently. Check out My signature. It tells you how to Verify if I own a PCGS coin in my set.imageimage Have a Very Nice New Years Day and Coming Year. Please Cheer on the OREGON DUCKS tomorrow. Take Care: Ken
  • Options
    Yep, pillow case for sure. By the way what brand of camera and what model number was used in photos you took? They are real nice pics.
    Dennis

http://www.pcgs.com/new_set_registry/display_coins.chtml?regsetid=485&alltime=no
    Dennis

My Dimes

• Options

hi
    everyone,
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    All I have to say about my set of Mercs is that I own all of them.
    We joke and have fun with each other and that is the way it should be.
    Leasing coins for a set is NOT the way to have fun in our hobby and anyone who does this
    is not a collector but a scammer and lowlife.
    I hope that no one from this forum would stoop that low.

Ray
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy the people who collect mercury dimes. I know that it is more fun being in the mercury dime registry, than other sets! I own all my coins and would never think of leasing a coin.

To All Have a Happy new year
    Pat Vetter
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Geeze, and I was just thinking of offering $ for Aaron's old inserts! image
    Just give me a 67FB insert, and I can stare at it for hours "thinking" how nice the coin would look! LOL!
    I guess that I should re-think that one before I lose any credibility, although my "Winged Liberty Heads" keep reminding me of freedom of thought! image

Enjoy the game, and have a Happy '02!
    Oh yeah, and keep those thoughts "free"! image

Regards,

Don

Full Band inserts and

FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I attribute the fact that we dime collectors seem to get along so well to our incredibly high intelligence. Everyone knows it takes mucho IQ to collect dimes!!

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will reconfirm that I own all of my dimes! I forgot to say that I am accepting donations to the ptvetter collection from almost anyone! OK let's make that anyone. Feel free to ship them to me any day. I could use the following dimes 1916-D in 67FB, 1921 and 1921-d and 1931-s in 68FB also. Don't be shy ship now before the rush begins!!image
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Dennis: Its a SONY FD75. Pat: I only have the insertsimage was going to put them in My Setimage but after ALL of this I will just Sell/Rent them to youimage,which ever way suits you.image Boy that 16D would have looked good in the set.image Happy New Year Everyone,and its good to hear from you all. Take Care: Ken. Oregon Game is Starting,MUST GO. "GO DUCKS"
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant conceive of someone adding coins that don't belong to them.Idont have a lot but there sure mine.AlAl's Merc's
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    If I were leasing, I would certainly pick higher graded coins that I presently own. Actually, I dont really care all that much about the thread, becuase the satifisfaction is in ownership, not registryship (is that a word?).

If you life is so empty you have to stoop to using borrowed coins for your registry, then I feel sorry for you.

I really think the Mercury folks are a great bunch of people and doubt that anyone would feel the need to "borrow" coins. Maybe it is a modern disease? All this said, I have ignored the lengthy posts about "leasing" as I do not want to feed the trolls more.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Hey Fairlaneman:
    How about them Oregon Ducks!!!image
    I Left a Duck thread on U.S. forum Oregon 38 Colorado 16
    and it was not even that close!!!
    cladmaker
  • Options
    Clademaker,
    You need to dig deeper in that box of yours,and find me some nice FS MS 67 Merc'simage.The last one's where beauty's.Al
  • Options
    OK guys,i would like to see invoices of all coins in the Registry.If you don't have one it will be pulledimageimageimage
  • Options
    Cladmaker: HOWS THIS ?image
  • Options
    Al:
    only have 1941-d ms 66 fb at the momment on ebay and 1944-s ms 66 fb soon for eBay.
    no ms 67 fb's at this time.
    Rick (a.w.coins)
  • Options
    Fairlaneman:
    I LOVE IT! IT MAKES ME PUMP MY CHEST OUT AND BE PROUDimage
    I slipped over to the open forum to check out your Duck thread there,
    niceimage
    WOW!! LSU is taking it to ILLINOIS 20 to 0 --Then again it is no big surprise, The BIG 10 has been kinda whimpy lately!!!image
    Have they won a bowl game this year yet?
    cladmaker
  • Options
    I'm not a Merc collector, but I think DeepCoin hit it right on the head...

<< <i>If I were leasing, I would certainly pick higher graded coins that I presently own. Actually, I dont really care all that much about the thread, becuase the satifisfaction is in ownership, not registryship (is that a word?).

If you life is so empty you have to stoop to using borrowed coins for your registry, then I feel sorry for you. >>

My feelings exactly! What pride could you possibly derive from a Reg Set that is all numbers and no coins?

madmike
  • Options
    tggrtggr Posts: 748
    Hey Al,
    I have to watch you.
    You are silpping up and will catch me if I am not careful.

LOL Rayimageimage
  • Options
    You guys are way ahead of me.It will be slow going but is fun.(i like the fun of competing) as my funds allow.I will be adding 3 more image watch outimage.Al

Al'S Merc's
  • Options
    There is a definite difference between real coin collectors, who collect coins for the fun and history involved, and those who participate in this artificial market they call a registry, and who want nothing more than to be better than the person sitting next to them.

While we're on the subject of mercs, what are your thoughts about the Kritzman collection being sold at the FUN sale?

Kyle
  • Options
    It was fun to read about Kritzman. I did not know that he is the person who "invented" the "full split bands" idea. It's sort of cool that it is possible to trace this notion to one person! (Does anyone know who, if anyone, invented the concept of "full head" for Standing Liberty quarters?)

As far as his dimes go, it's fascinating that his coins range from non-gradable (his 19-D; 36-S; 44-P; and 44-D/D) up to MS67. It's really clear that he focused on one attribute, the strike of coin!

I have other coins that right now take priority, so I don't plan on bidding aggressively on his coins. But it might be fun to bid on one of his less expensive coins. I think it would be neat to own (not lease!) a coin pedigreed from his collection. What do the rest of the dime collectors think?

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    For those of you who are unaware.....

Link to Kritzman Auction
  • Options
    Python1: (Dennis) The 18D you put in your Set is a VERY NICE addition. I am envious. You are pulling away from me,but just maybe I have a couple of Tricks up my sleeve.imageimage I saw some Very Nice PCGS Mercs today and just need my car parts to sell on eBay for some after holiday cash. Ending this with much Envy over your 18D.image Ken
  • Options
    Python,i noticed that additionimage.Nice coin.Al
  • Options
    figures all the lots I wanted are over my bid prices and the REAL auction hasn't even started image
  • Options
    Ken and grip, thanks for the flowers.....about the 18D, it is a nice one. I am waiting on one more to come in, 24s, it should be here by monday, it is a screamer!!! I sure missed talking last night, but I am an officer of the local coin club, we meet on the first thursday of the month. Anyway, Ken, congrats on the new seat you are sitting in!!!!!!!!!Glad to see we are still together....cant wait to see the pics of the new ones....
    Mark, I checked out the Kritzman collection, nice stuff, and like others, I too would like to own one or two of them. Have a great weekend ALL...
    Dennis

My Dimes
    Dennis

My Dimes

• Options
    Dennis: A 18d and now a 24S "WOW" two great ones back to back. Would love to see both dimes. Quit buying dimes and get a camera. Is the 24S a FB coin or are you going to make us wait ? Take Care: Ken
  • Options
    Ken,
    I am going to get with the program one of these days, I had a scanner that did a wonderful job, but caused so many other problems with the pc, I just put it up, and I am checking on that Camera like you have, to see about getting one like that, since it does such a great job on your coins. Well the 24S is not FB (at least not noted), but I will see how close it is when it arrives. I bought a real nice microscope, and have made notes of the die cracks and other devices on all my dimes, I get real excited to see so many differences in each dime. So I hope in the near future, you and our clan of mercury dime collectors, can see my dimes that I have spent alot of time putting together. As far as one comment that was made in an earlier reply, I am a real collector, I have collected for more than 35 years, and now OWN, a full complete set of the following, all circulated: Indian cents, Lincoln cents, buffalo nickels, jefferson nickels *82% are Full steps w/all UNCS., mercury dimes, roosevelt dimes, washington quarters, walking halves, franklin halves, peace dollars, ( 8 short) of completing Morgans. And with all that, I am well on my way in completing the barber series (dimes, quarters, halves). I spend alot of time with other people in the club, helping them with their sets as well, I especially enjoy helping the kids, they get so excited, when they find one they need. The main and only reason I started my collection on mercury dimes, I really think they are the most beautiful coin minted,(just my opinion) and wanted to challenge myself, to complete a real pretty (white) set, all slabbed. But I must admit, it is fun to stay on top, and talk to all of you about our sets. Well, enough of this, and sorry if I rambled to much.
    Dennis

My Dimes
    Dennis

My Dimes

• Options
    Don't you guys have anything else to do other than BUY MERCURY DIMES!!!! Come on, get a life--spend money on the spouse, on the car, on the house, on a vacation--but not on these dimes!!!

Now, more seriously, there sure are some nice up-grades. That 18-D strikes me as a serious coin. And Fairlaneman finding 2 (!) coins to add...neat!! Pat (PTVETTER) and I (and others) are being left in the dust!

Is anyone here seriously considering bidding on the Kritzman coins? No need to disclose which coin(s), but is anyone going to pursue these coins?

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just like to see all of this energy going into one great coin series. Just so you will not lay awake tonight worrying, I am not taking up Mercury Dimes any time soon. I have one in a PCGS holder, the 16D, and it is low grade and only in a holder to make sure it was real. I still need to get all of the varieties that exist for Liberty Nickels, 114 needed, a long way to go.

This makes what, 2 or is it 3 great collections of these little jewels that will have been auctioned in the last few years. I have all of the Catalogs, just don't spend to much time studying these.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    python1, you are a true coin collector and a great postimage.Al
    I bid on one Kristmen,a serious bid but found some others without the signature price attached .Good luck to you and KEN.
  • Options
    Mark: Have one bid in on the Kritzman Dimes. If history repeats I will not be a Winner. Sure some nice stuff in that set.Have viewed the set every day since Heritage put it up. Love the 20S and the 25D not to mention 27S and 27D. It was interesting that Heritage is Auctioning the 39S by its self seems how it grades only 63FB. Take Care: Ken