Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another EAC convention report

I have been reading some great reports from some pretty pumped copper and early coinage fans up on this year’s EAC convention held last weekend in St. Louis. I am finally getting the opportunity to post some comments and observations of my own on the convention. This year’s convention was no less than spectacular IMO. This year was the first that I attended both as a member and dealer. It was great fun, but quite a challenge as I missed almost every educational seminar and found it quite difficult to scour the bourse floor as a collector, while always looking over my shoulder to see if I was needed at my table.

The highlight of my convention was to meet and get acquainted with several forum members that I had not meet before and to hook back up with some old EAC buddies and catch up after a year. I was fortunate to meet RYK (Robert) for the first time and his son Jack. We chatted on Friday and again on Saturday. Both Robert and Jack are first class fellas and EAC is fortunate to have the participation. Robert, I am confident you will find EAC to be a most pleasurable and rewarding experience. I also met Hoot for the first time and did get a chance to chat some at the Friday night post-Eric Newman Money Museum dinner and again on the bus returning to the convention hotel. Hoot is an amazing and engaging fella and I could talk copper for hours with him. We had planned to share some of our coppers, but unfortunately tending to my table and an untimely death in the family of my tablemate forced me to pack up and leave before hoot and I had a chance to share our coppers and get better acquainted. I also met James Early-US Garcia, but again I waited too late to spend some time with James. I had planned to have James photograph my coins while at the convention. Frustrated as I was with not getting to spend enough time with Hoot and James, I was glad to get to meet the both of them and am sure we will have a chance to catch up again and take up where we left off.

Another highlight of the convention that I will never forget was the opportunity to meet and sit down with Del Bland and talk about coppers and provenance. Del has kept meticulous records over the years of the provenance and sales of the condition census cents and his efforts are largely responsible for the detailed information we have today on these amazing coins.

The convention was all I had expected and more. Great attendance. A wonderful agenda that included a most memorable trip to the Eric Newman Money Museum and a chance to meet Eric and listen to him recount his life in numismatics. One was literally transported back in time as he talked about his experiences with legends of the past starting with Burdette Johnson and moving forward.

The exhibits were first class, including a stunning display by a collector of many of the varieties of 1796; an exhibit showcasing the Sheldon 37 variety; the cents of 1816; and die states of a half cent proof-only variety, among other.

The 500 plus lot auction brought strong prices. There was a collection of simply amazing electrotypes with to-die-for host coin pedigrees that went for moon money in strong bidding, including an electrotype copy of a Smith Counterfeit – go figure. The finest know 1794 NC-11 was auctioned. This example is the finest of 4 known. All-in-all I was lucky to get 2 coins, a nice 1798 S-163 and an 1801 three errors S-218. Both are very difficult coins to find.

The highlight of the show, aside from meeting RYK, Hoot, James, and Del, and catching up with old buddies was the acquisition of a 1798 S-183. The S-183 is a particularly rare variety and tough to find. It’s an R5 and this one is the second best coin in the Condition Census graded Ef 45 net 40. I’ll post a picture soon.

Comments

• Options

Great report...thanks! image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report! As always, it's the people that make coin shows and coin collecting enjoyable. It was a pleasure meeting you and learning about large cents at your table. image

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great report. I wish I could have been there!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report. I would like to see a pic of the 1801 S-218 when you get a chance to post it!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Thanks Rich. I will post all three. coins -probably later this evening. The S-218 is really nothing to brag about, it's a lower grade coin with some problems. but as you very difficult to find.

<< <i>it's the people that make coin shows and coin collecting enjoyable >>

RYK, I couldn't have said this any better. Getting reacquainted with old familiar faces, meeting new friends such as yourself, and the experience of sharing common passions, make these events so very enjoyable indeed !!
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The S-218 is really nothing to brag about, >>

Unlike most of your post, this is utter baloney. ANY S-218 is worth bragging loudly about! It's a damned rare coin and you're fortunate to put your name on the provenance. Congrats!

Thanks for the excellent report -- and next EAC I hope you'll come by and introduce yourself! We must have rubbed shoulders without knowing it.
  • Options
    Pistareen,

I'm not too quick on my feet with the comeback. I am also sorry I missed you. I would have enjoyed a bit of conversation and getting to know you. I did go by your table a few times but you always had a three-deep crowd of folks ogling the remarkable coins on hand.

I received several reports the neat stuff you had with you. Unfortunately, my trips around the bourse were usually in haste and brief, as I was trying to successfully manage tending to my table and getting out on the floor.

I will make it a point to be sure we have some time to chat next year in Dallas.

Another year 'till another EAC image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file