Home Metal Detecting
Options

Ok, a couple of whatchamacall-its, any ideas?

Didn't find too much to finish off April the last couple of days, but did find two odd pieces, both appear to be made of copper or brass. The first I think may have been part of a makeup compact or ladies item of some sort, appears to have been painted or enameled - much of it as fallen off or whats left is in process of it (must have been red and white originally). Inside looks to have been a small mirror (diameter is about 2 inches):

imageimage

The second item I found in same park that last fall I dug the brass block with monogram "F" on it that from the opinion of several on this site thought was a some type of wax seal marking from mid 1800's. This item might be something similar, as like the other block this has all the lettering incuse and backwards. It even gives the dimensions of block around border- "Back 1 7/8 inches high" and "Front 2 1/8 inches high" both incuse/backwards. Not sure what the symbol is, its marked "Trade Mark / Waubunk Linen - again all incuse/backwards. Other edge opposite has "Above Button Holes"- incuse/backwards. Could it be some type of marking device as well? Have to check into local history, maybe there was a linen company in area, there were many mills located along the river at one time as its just down stream from a dam.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    the bottom one looks like some sort of pattern for tailoring, but not sure what it would be. Almost like a brand
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top would indeed be a ladies' compact. I wouldn't have had any clue and had no idea of the scale of the photo- thought I was looking at a button-sized object at first. But when I saw the broken mirror inside, that clinched it. Early 20th century cosmetics compact.

The second item is quite fascinating. Obviously it is some kind of seal or something for making an impressioin-the reversed lettering indicates that. From its style, I would put around the turn of the 19th/20th century, say, 1880s to 1920s as my wild guess. I tend toward assigning it to the later end of that range.

With a company name on it, you should be able to track something down on it. I like finding inscribed items- they offer more clues to their origins.

Very interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Here is your oddball item in reverse and negative. It is definitely something used in textiles, almost like a branding trademark.
    A google of the term Waubunk or Waubunk Linen turns up absolutely zero.

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With a company name on it, you should be able to track something down on it >>

I tried Googling the name of the company, nothing, might take a trip to local library and see if anything is in archives, I know at one time one of the largest silk mills in North America was located in the city.

<< <i>the bottom one looks like some sort of pattern for tailoring, but not sure what it would be. Almost like a brand >>

It seems odd however that it would give the dimensions right on the pieces edge? And the symbol? What kind of corporate logo is that?-but apparently it is trade marked....
  • Options
    Very cool piece. The design looks like the old style of detachable shirt collars circa 1850s-1910s

Maybe it was a stamp for printing the collar dimensions on packaging?

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>

<< <i>With a company name on it, you should be able to track something down on it >>

I tried Googling the name of the company, nothing, might take a trip to local library and see if anything is in archives, I know at one time one of the largest silk mills in North America was located in the city.

<< <i>the bottom one looks like some sort of pattern for tailoring, but not sure what it would be. Almost like a brand >>

It seems odd however that it would give the dimensions right on the pieces edge? And the symbol? What kind of corporate logo is that?-but apparently it is trade marked.... >>

I think the measurements are not dimensions but rather placement of the mark maybe? You should try inking it with a stamp pad and stamping it on a cloth to see how it looks. Turn it upside down and it looks like a hat.
  • Options
    By golly, I think Gary's onto something... that is a shirt collar!
    (Portrayed in the engraving, that is- I don't mean to suggest the metal thingie is a shirt collar- it would be a strange and rather uncomfortable one, haha.)

I thought it was a pair of undies. imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought it was a pair of undies. image >>

Interesting finds! I've also found a similar mirror (the two parts being in separate holes some 10 yards apart). It's gold colored (gold colored paint only) with the mirror broken just like on yours.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Hey, I think I'll save that little "Embarrassed LM" icon.

Heaven knows I give myself plenty of opportunities to use it. image

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool piece. The design looks like the old style of detachable shirt collars circa 1850s-1910s >>

Looking at it now after viewing that picture I think you might have nailed it Gary- a shirt collar. May never know exactly what it was for, but maybe after a trip to library will be able to find out some more about the company and their products. Thanks everyone for all the help.
  • Options
    After I posted last night I found some old ads for Arrow. They tout their de-tachable shirt collars as "fine linen"

You do know Custer was the best dressed man at the Little Big Horn? He was wearing an Arrow shirt. image

I know - it's lame.

Gary image
    imageimageimage