Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Indian Head Cent Searching Tonight--Results in...

Well, as many of you know I did some unopened proof set searching last night. I opened about 250 sets with little to show for it.

Tonight I was met with an equally daunting--and fun--challenge. Roughly 100 unsearched Indian Head Cent rolls needed to be searched. The first 50 rolls went without much to tell you about. I was starting to think that tonight was going to be just another disappointment, then--BAM! I found a XF 1909-S. It had some light corrosion and might have been cleaned long ago, but still a super find. Several rolls later I found a 1901 in Very Good with heavy railroading. Shortly after came a 1902 with a big lamination that covers about 20% of reverse. A few rolls later came another piece with heavy railroading, this time a VG 1893. Now I'm excited--I know I did good. I wasn't prepared for my next find though. Around roll 80 I hit a 1888/7 in Good. Although it has a swipe of fresh, red hairlines on the obverse and a heavily scratched up reverse, it had solid G details and would probably net grade FR02 or AG03 at ANACS (certainly wouldn't net a PO1, though). Now I'm more than satisfied, and would still be content if the last 20 rolls contained nothing but junk. But no--I'm not done yet! The last couple rolls yielded an 1897 "1 in Neck" in VG--this one is relatively problem free.

I still have about a dozen rolls of stuff that has already been searched to go through--maybe I'll find some more varieties. I think before I go through any more rolls though I should clean off my desk. 5,000 IHC's make quite a big pile.

I'll try to get some pix up by tomorrow night if I have the time.

My next endeavor will be a batch of about 75 rolls of circ mercs and BU roosies. Hopefully a 1916-D is waiting in there.

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Where do you get these things from?
  • Options
    image Must - Have - Pics!

Sounds like a nice score... and a big one at that! Origin? Turn-around so far? Can I have some? image
    First get the knowledge, then the coins.

imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was starting to think that tonight was going to be just another disappointment, then--BAM! I found a XF 1909-S. It had some light corrosion and might have been cleaned long ago, but still a super find. >>

BAM!!! YOU SUCK!

I love searching IHC rolls. image

Maybe almost as much as searching Darkside bulk lots, but not quite.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Nice finds!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet find. Roll searching does pay off eventually. Keep us updated.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where do you get these things from? >>

I'm selling a friends collection for him. He inheritted it from his father who past away several years ago.
  • Options
    jhusmanjhusman Posts: 1,082
    Is there a premium for an IHC with a few cuds around the rim?
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Around roll 80 I hit a 1888/7 in Good. Although it has a swipe of fresh, red hairlines on the obverse and a heavily scratched up reverse, it had solid G details and would probably net grade FR02 or AG03 at ANACS (certainly wouldn't net a PO1, though).

I love unsearched IH roll stories. Congrats GoldenEyeNumismatics. An image would be nice image
  • Options
    Would anyone buy some of these to do a little searching in. I am excited about this idea of searching "unsearched" wheat peannies. I just need to know if you think these are truly unsearched or if it is just BSLook here
    RACC
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
  • Options

<< <i>Around roll 80 I hit a 1888/7 in Good. Although it has a swipe of fresh, red hairlines on the obverse and a heavily scratched up reverse, it had solid G details and would probably net grade FR02 or AG03 at ANACS (certainly wouldn't net a PO1, though).

I love unsearched IH roll stories. Congrats GoldenEyeNumismatics. An image would be nice image >>

I would but it has already been sold and is out the door! "Redbook" varieties are almost impossible to hold onto.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Dude, I'm so jealous. I need an 09-S. But then to find a 88/7 and a '97 1 in neck, man you suck.

I'm sure you'll find a 16-D and a couple 42/1's in there.
  • Options

<< <i>Dude, I'm so jealous. I need an 09-S. But then to find a 88/7 and a '97 1 in neck, man you suck.

I'm sure you'll find a 16-D and a couple 42/1's in there. >>

Thanks! I was really glad to find all those toughies.

I've gone through about half the mercs and haven't found much yet except for a heavily, heavily worn 1916 that I'm pretty sure is a D, but might be an S.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like loads of fun! Speaking of the 1897 with the '1' in the neck - I won one years ago in a coin raffle. It's pushing F-12 for the grade. Any ideas on what that is going for nowadays?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file