Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Where do YOU find raw cards?

Hi folks,

Other than Ebay,I'm wondering where people are finding pre 70 cards raw these days.

I'm in Rhode Island, not many shows or shops around here. I've hit yard sales, flea markets, auctions, and I've posted ads in the local paper as well as on Craig's list....with little success.

Craig's list seems to bring out every one who has a landfill's worth of 1987 cards and the like....but nothing realistic in the way of vintage.

So, without giving away any deep dark secret...where are you finding older cards?

Jay

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay, I believe there is a huge show coming up this month called the Tri-Star show off of RT.495 in Mass. I have been going to the show the past few years and their are some tables with raw material (vintage) then in November there is the big show at the Shiners auditorium again off 495 Wilmington Mass. The Shiners is loaded with tables selling raw vintage as well, much more than the Tri-Star show. If you dont mind taking a long ride the shows are worth it, both shows run a whole weekend. If you want I will PM you info when I get it.
  • Options
    Jay, what I am finding is, if you want to buy Vintage cards that are nice, you either have to buy them
    already slabbed or be willing to step up to the plate and buy groups in order to get the cards you really want.

I find very little at shows. In fact, even at "TWINSFEST" just like any other "FEST" around the country before Spring
    Training begins in MLB, all I am starting see at these "SUPERSHOWS" are, and all the modern collectors,
    pardon the term, MODERN CRAP. Now, with that said, I do buy Kaline cards that are modern stuff if I like the
    design and/or are numbered #1 or #6 (His uniform number) if I am bored and can't find anything else to buy.

I have developed over the years, many guys who will save stuff for me because:

1) They know I like quality cards
    2) I will buy lots, sets or whatever to get what I want/need
    3) I buy "BIG"
    With #3 usually being spending several hundred to several thousand dollars when guys all around them
    may sell a couple hundred bucks for a 2 or three day show, I can "MAKE" their show with one purchase.

Another piece of advice, don't worry about how much they are making! If I buy a group of cards from
    somone for $1000 and I know I can make a couple hundred bucks on it, I could care less if they paid
    2c or $2000 for the lot....

Thats my 2c worth, for what its worth!

Tony
    KalineFanimage
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And when you find a sharp card/or cards at a show do not start thinking "this guy wants 50% of book, but I know that I can get that card on ebay for 15% of book"

At least you're holding it, and approving of it before paying. Everyone knows how sight unseen on eBay usually ends up.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And when you find a sharp card/or cards at a show do not start thinking "this guy wants 50% of book, but I know that I can get that card on ebay for 15% of book"

At least you're holding it, and approving of it before paying. Everyone knows how sight unseen on eBay usually ends up. >>

Personally I have NEVER bought a raw card on Ebay, not worth the hassle unless you know the seller and he/she is reputable.