Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Miscut??

This one came back from PSA as a miscut. Anyone see why?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Looks uncentered to me but not miscut. But I thought PSA graded miscut cards. Maybe it's too wide? SGC doesn't slab miscuts. I found this out when I submitted this:
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yankee

Got a scan of the back?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The centering is off. If anything, I thought it might be a touch long (top/bottom). The card came with a collection I bought a bunch of yrs ago, well before card grading and I was just looking to get it slabbed & put it on fee-bay.
  • Options
    The 1966 Mantle is notorius for coming back as a factory miscut. I have a few that I have tried to put through a couple of times, and they keep coming back as miscut with a voucher. I might just finally send them off to SGC to be holdered....
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I believe there are two types of miscut cards. One is miscut so the actual cardboard isn't rectangular, so it won't fit in the holder. Those are the type they return as "miscut." The other is cards where one border is off the edge of the card. These are just really off-center cards, and get slabbed with the MC qualifier.

Of course, I own about 30 graded cards and have never submitted one of my own, so I could well be incorrect.
  • Options

<< <i>The 1966 Mantle is notorius for coming back as a factory miscut. I have a few that I have tried to put through a couple of times, and they keep coming back as miscut with a voucher. I might just finally send them off to SGC to be holdered.... >>

When they say miscut - what are they referring to?

Do you mean the card is oversized?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mine are drop dead perfect. I believe it is just that they dont like the cut of the card (undersized?) although it is the same size as others I have submitted.

Edited to add as Mike said, maybe it is oversized also, but they measure out the same
  • Options
    They didn't specify what exactly was wrong with it. Just "miscut".
    Here's a scan of the back

The centering on the back is better than the front, FWIW
  • Options
    I didn't even get a voucher. I guess as a new member sub, consider it to be a freebie?
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    "When the grade don't fit,
    You must re-submit."
    Capecards
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the top edge (looking at the back scan) is not a straight cut. Almost looks like it has a slight hook. I've had similar cards get rejected for that type of cut. Vouchers always followed later.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen this a number of times on 1966 Topps - the left edge is too long and irregular. I guess the cutting machine just didn't come down properly and/or the blade was a bit dull - something like that. I'm sure Topps as all ptrinters do, discarded a number of miscut items, but I guess they felt for an inexpensive kid's item it was good enough to package.

I think the cutting manager who allowed these cards to be placed in packs should be fired. image
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like the top edge (looking at the back scan) is not a straight cut. Almost looks like it has a slight hook. I've had similar cards get rejected for that type of cut. Vouchers always followed later. >>

Does PSA ever give the reason for the miscut?
  • Options

<< <i>I think the cutting manager who allowed these cards to be placed in packs should be fired. image >>

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Not in my experience with PSA. It would be a nice add to the service
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It looks like the top edge (looking at the back scan) is not a straight cut. Almost looks like it has a slight hook. I've had similar cards get rejected for that type of cut. Vouchers always followed later. >>

Does PSA ever give the reason for the miscut? >>

Yankee

What's the exact measurement of the card? Would be nice if to the 1/32" - thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

<< <i>I didn't even get a voucher. I guess as a new member sub, consider it to be a freebie? >>

they normally send the voucher out a couple weeks after you get the cards back. if you don't get one then call and ask about it as they owe you a voucher for the grading fees on the m/c card. usually if they card is not a perfect rectangle they call it m/c and don't holder it.
  • Options
    From PSA page on grading standards:

N-8 Miscut - This term is used when the factory cut is an abnormal cut. The grading fees are returned. You will be given a voucher good for another submission for the same type of service.

Like what the heck does that really mean - when the factory cut is an "abnormal" cut?

MC (Miscut):
    ): Cards with a factory miscut, such as a diamond cut, or when another card's image is on the original card will be designated "MC."

I wouldn't mind if PSA went back and redefined these terms to be more description in the explanation?

The card Yankee presented doesn't match any of the terminology I just cited?

Just my take
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>From PSA page on grading standards:

N-8 Miscut - This term is used when the factory cut is an abnormal cut. The grading fees are returned. You will be given a voucher good for another submission for the same type of service.

Like what the heck does that really mean - when the factory cut is an "abnormal" cut?

MC (Miscut):
    ): Cards with a factory miscut, such as a diamond cut, or when another card's image is on the original card will be designated "MC."

I wouldn't mind if PSA went back and redefined these terms to be more description in the explanation?

The card Yankee presented doesn't match any of the terminology I just cited?

Just my take

mike >>

I agree 100% Mike
    I have at least one which I thought was a sure 9 with an outside shot at a 10 that came back twice the same way.
    It matched up nicely with any other 66 I have, but at least each time it came back I received a voucher.
    I just dont get it....
  • Options
    Mike,

I don't have the card w/ me to measure, but I quickly measured it the am trying to figure out what might be the problem. It was just slightly over 3.5 inches long. It didn't make to 3 inches, 17/32 long.
    I always felt the card seemed just a slight touch longer than other 66s
  • Options
    I'd sure love to visit a place that makes these cards to see how they're manufactured and more specifically . . . cut .

That card looks like when they had the sheets to cut , if they even come that way ??? one sheet was slightly shifted in there and that is the card .