Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you could have, say 500K to start ANY series there is....

saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
Well....WHAT WOULD IT BE???

How would you do it?

Would you try to complete the set with any grades? Buy only a certain grade or higher and go for quality over quantity?

Comments

• Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    I'll cheat and say early dollars. Then move on to early halves. Then early quarters.

You get the point image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Presidential dollars in MS65. I would then have $499,990 left over to play with image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    I will buy S, P, D rare dates $10 Indian gold Eagle (1907 NM, 1908 D WM, 1913 S all in MS65)
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    I would do a complete VAM collection in MS64. All years.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
    I would have fun completing a Barber Halve set.image
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    A full set of GW errors in MS67?

You're right, I might need more money image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe then I would be able to get the PCGS MS-65 1837 Capped Bust Half Dime I have been wanting?
  • Options
    SBA's.
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    A Type Set. (if you can fudge and call that a 'series')

Early Coppers, Dollars and Gold...sigh.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seated of course. The best specimens I could find. Not worried about completing any series.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A date set of early half dimes. Target grade would be eye appealing AU. With 500K I think it would actually be possible. Only exceptions I'd need to make would be dropping the target grade a bit on the 1792 and 1802 (Maybe down to a nice crusty VF).

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    if i had that much money collecting coins would no longer be fun.
    just another rich guy/gal going out buying everything they see
    and putting it into the pile of all the rest of their fabulously nice stuff.

seems to easy then.
  • Options
    jpo1965jpo1965 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    us patterns just one coin the 1874 bickford eagle ummmmmmimage
    Old coins
  • Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    I think I would try seated quarters.Allthough a full set would be very tough to say the least.
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    shiny lincolns
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    the finest known British Crown collection, from 1800-1915

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Marty would never win another eBay auction for sealed boxes of proof and SMS sets.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Well you could buy $ 0.01 face value of a certain Liberty Nickel.
  • Options
    Trimes and 3 cent nickels image wonderfully interesting and undervalued.

"I am sorry you are unhappy with the care you recieved, is their anything I can do for you right now, how about some high speed lead therapy?" - A qoute from my wife's nursing forum

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." – Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well you could buy $ 0.01 face value of a certain Liberty Nickel. >>

Actually, that would be .005 of face value.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was ever lucky enough to come into $500K I would not put it into coins (well maybe a little bit would go into coins). The bulk of the cash would be used for paying for various long term expense (college tuition for the little Sanctions) and for a contribution to my portfolio.

Coin money is by definition "discretionary" funds used for enjoyment of the hobby and not for "investment" purposes.

However, make my windfall $50 million and I might just drop a half million on coins. I would be tempted to buy every PCGS and NGC 1950 Proof CAM or DCAM Frankie I could get my grubby little hands on.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could do a very nice MS64-65 trade dollar set for about that amount.... if you can find the coins!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be able to finish this the way I would really like it to be.

United States Half Dollars Date Set, Circulation Strikes (1794-Present)
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to 1950 CAM/DCAM Frankies, I would be tempted to try to buy every DCAM Accented Hair 1964 Proof Kennedy, every non AH 1964 DCAM Proof Kennedy graded 67 or higher, and every 1965, 66 and 67 DCAM SMS Kennedy.

I do not know if my half million would be enough to buy all of the Frankies and Kennedies mentioned above.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to do a set of Early Halves but I think I'd need anpther $1.5 million. image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complete Dahlonega series in choice AU.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    As many Higley coppers as I could get.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I'd buy the XF 1870-s seated dollar and an xf/au 1851. Then my seated dollar collection would be mostly complete except for a 52, 70-cc, 72-cc and a couple of the 'common' dates.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    500K huh, provided my wife would let me get my gonads out of her purse- I would go after a complete set of Morgans in 64/65.

Yes completely graded by only the best.

• Options
    I'd buy a mint state 1792 Half Disme to get my 18th century type set off on a good footing.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry....I love coins but if I had half a mil lying around I'd sink it all into gold bullion and sleep like a baby at night!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Half eagles maybe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file