Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Photo Experiment: Please Critique (lotsa pics)

I'm still trying to figure out the crazy world of coin photography and I feel I'm getting better at it but I know I still have a long way to go.

For those of you who photograph coins for a living or on a regular basis, can you look at these and give me some pointers please?

I tried several types of coins to get a feel for the various metals and how the light reflects and such. I have hard time capturing toning without angling the coin or the camera, is that normal? I have also come to realize that gold is very difficult to capture.

Tell me what you think and feel free to offer any suggestions. I can only improve through knowledge of where I'm making mistakes.

Thanks!

Test Subject #1

Test Subject #2

Test Subject #3

Test Subject #4

Test Subject #5

Test Subject #6

Comments

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I don't know **** from shinola about photography, but your pictures look just dandy to me. image
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The halfpenny pic's a bit dark- so are some of the other black-background ones. But they look good. Dark or not, you captured the prooflike luster/mirrors on that 1950 halfcrown quite admirably, I think.

And test subject #1 meets with my approval- not only is it in keeping with my new pursuit of Roman Imperial coins, but it is a good clear photograph, as well.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sharpness is all there and the images look good. A couple are a bit too dark, for me, though. To capture toning without tilting the coin - try positioning the lighting higher overhead...
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I'll try shooting the darker coins on a lighter background, the Maximus came out very good that way. The half crown seemed to do well on the black background but the Kennedy half didn't fare so well; possibly because the Kennedy is a circulation strike. I need to play around with that one some more as the bullseye toning on the reverse is hard to see from straight on.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much glare on the first few.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    I am not an expert at coin photography, but here are my suggestions:

- get some different colors for your backgrounds. Dark colors will make the photos darker(go figure)
    - try diffusing the light. Small pieces of white cotton to shine the lights through.
    - try taking a pic straight on, then go left, right, up & down about 15 degrees and compare the differences.
    - it looks like your pics are cropped. Size them to the same size within your photo editor.

Hope this helps.
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Shoot gold in natural sun light or a 100W clear glass bulb for best results. Tone is best captures using the slant glass technique, which has been explained here several times and easy to search.image

Here is a link to an Omni coin spread on Coin photo shooting.
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>Shoot gold in natural sun light or a 100W clear glass bulb for best results. Tone is best captures using the slant glass technique, which has been explained here several times and easy to search.image

Here is a link to an Omni coin spread on Coin photo shooting. >>

thanks! I'll check out that site.

LM....I guess what you're saying is I got 2 out of three okay?? image
  • Options
    Just a recycling of a joke post on the Liteside, that's all.

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    I like the results of #2 !!!!

Shep