Home Metal Detecting
Options

Breakout of Wheat Cents, how do you guys match?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Decade # found % of total
1909 1 0.27%
Teens 21 5.59%
Twenties 27 7.18%
Thirties 33 8.78%
Forties 126 33.51%
Fifties 104 27.66%
Dateless 64 17.02%
Total 376 100.00%

Not sure how well this will format, but I found it odd that the largest percent found is from the 40s. Does anyone else have a breakout of their wheat cent finds?

Comments

• Options
    This is interesting! I'd never done any statistical works with my finds.

I usually dump my Wheaties in the jar after I cleaned them.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't done the work like you did, but I think your numbers fit closely with mine.

Technically, I could almost still do mine- I have thrown them into a big jar the last ten years or so. Gave a few away. I can remember finding three 1909 VDB coins (no S) and perhaps one 1909 plain but I am not sure. Certainly the 'forties lead, with the 'fifties close behind. Not surprisingly, I think the numbers correspond closely to mintages, too- they really cranked 'em out in '42 and '44.

The only difference between my wheat harvest and yours is that I have not found so many dateless ones.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I haven't broken mine down either, but I know that most of mine are from the 40s. Maybe even a greater percentage than yours.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I would have to dig up all my wheats to see.
    I can tell you of the 15 or so Mercury dimes I've dug up, 10 of them date 1942.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TEN 1942? Wow.

My biggest haul of a single date in my "keeper" album is probably 1946 Roosies. I have six of them at least. Maybe seven or eight.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SilverDreamsSilverDreams Posts: 427 ✭✭
    I've dug up 9 Rosies and 7 Mercs, but none of the same date yet.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone else have a breakout of their wheat cent finds? >>

Dang, you had a busy season. Once I see they aren't key dates, wheaties go to coinstar with the rest each season. These are from last season:

1909: 1 - <1%
    Teens: 9 - 8.5%
    20's: 5 - 4.7%
    30's: 16 - 15.2%
    40's: 42 - 40%
    50's: 26 - 24.7%
    Unk: 6 - 5.7%
    Total 105 100%
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    I've kept most of my wheats over the years and have hundreds of them soaking in oil... I kept track of the first couple hundred but stopped after that.

But if I were to guess, I'd have to say the same thing SilverDreams said... most are from the 1940's.
  • Options
    I never keep records of them.
    I only keep the higher grade teens, twenties & thirties in a Whitman album.
    I spend the rest.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs