Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

RIP Josh Hancok

What a sad occurrence.

Now lets watch the eBay unscrupulous profit off his death.
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• Options
    Only 29 and seemed to be a good part of the Cardinals bullpen.

Sad
  • Options
    Damn
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    yeah, just found out myself... this is sad

RIP Josh, our prayers are with you!
    Shea
    Currently searching for 05 Upper Deck Origins & Old Judge Autos #/5 (Feller, Hafner, V.Martinez & Rosen)
    and 06 SP Authentic “By The Numbers” Letter Autos (Sabathia, Hafner, Sowers, V.Martinez & Lee)
  • Options
    It's unbelievable !
    Life man . . . . I'll tell ya, it's strange, It's just unbelievable sometimes .
    Life changes in a blink of an eye . . .
    The first thing I think about is him and if he suffered and they say he died imideatly and then I think about the family.
    It just rocks your whole world . . . it's unbelievable !
    R.I.P. Brother
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Must be horrible for Cards fans, with the Darryl Kile tragedy not too far in the distance. God Bless.....
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Was he speeding?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Was he speeding?
    Steve >>

Doesnt sound like it; the police stated that he was probably doing right around the speed limit, only a bit more if any.

They also showed a quick video of the scene on ESPN; it looks like all of the skid marks are in the fast lane and that might have been where his accident occurred. If that is the case then its possibly a case of him coming across cars in his lane and not having anything he could really do to get out of the way. It also doesnt seem anyone else was injured thankfully.

They say he wasnt married and I havent heard anything about kids at least, but still a horrible, horrible tragedy.
    Currently searching for 05 Upper Deck Origins & Old Judge Autos #/5 (Feller, Hafner, V.Martinez & Rosen)
    and 06 SP Authentic “By The Numbers” Letter Autos (Sabathia, Hafner, Sowers, V.Martinez & Lee)
  • Options
    I hope this don't come out wrong , but I'm glad he didn't have any children then , or a wife .
    It is bad enough for the Mom and Dad to lose a son , brothers, sisters, cousins, grandparents perhaps . . . and friends .

• Options
    It is bad enough for the Mom and Dad to lose a son

Yes it is.....................

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Of the 287 listings on eBay for "Josh Hancok", with an extra "c", 281 started today. Nice.
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of the 287 listings on eBay for "Josh Hancok", with an extra "c", 281 started today. Nice.

Never underestimate how low someone will go to make a buck, I guess...disgusting is what it is.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    hmmmm not sure I'd call it disgusting, low maybe. The people selling his cards are just trying to fill a niche.

disclaimer.............I have no Josh Hanck cards for sale.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    hmmmm not sure I'd call it disgusting, low maybe. The people selling his cards are just trying to fill a niche.

A niche you call it? Yeah, um, okay...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i> hmmmm not sure I'd call it disgusting, low maybe. The people selling his cards are just trying to fill a niche.

A niche you call it? Yeah, um, okay... >>

a niche is exactly what it is..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    By the looks of his truck, he did not suffer. He rear-ended a flat-bed tow truck. This sucks man...
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    Fox News is reporting that he was drunk and talking on his cell phone when the crash happened.
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Now lets watch the eBay unscrupulous profit off his death. >>

well now that's an asinine statement.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Now lets watch the eBay unscrupulous profit off his death. >>

well now that's an asinine statement. >>

But it's true...
  • Options
    to call someone "unscrupulous" because they listed an item that people want is just flat out wrong
  • Options
    just glad his drunk ass didnt kill anyone else..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    yup.

i know i cant cast any blame, i have driven far too many times and somehow made it home successfully.

that's why i am such a homeboy now, i do all my extra-curricular activities in the safe, controlled confines of my meth lab.

julen
    tgif
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>just glad his drunk ass didnt kill anyone else.. >>

That's pretty low. He made a terrible mistake in judgement and it cost him his life. We've all done stupid things before, and I'm sure a lot of us have been behind the wheel when we shouldn't have been. I too am glad that there were no other fatalities, but I'd phrase it in a more sensitive manner.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>That's pretty low. He made a terrible mistake in judgement and it cost him his life. We've all done stupid things before, and I'm sure a lot of us have been behind the wheel when we shouldn't have been. I too am glad that there were no other fatalities, but I'd phrase it in a more sensitive manner. >>

yep ive probably been in the same situation as he was before.. and im glad my drunk ass didnt kill anyone innocent either..

im sorry his mistake cost him his life.. but fortunately his drunk cell-phone talking ass didnt kill anyone else..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>just glad his drunk ass didnt kill anyone else.. >>

That's pretty low. He made a terrible mistake in judgement and it cost him his life. We've all done stupid things before, and I'm sure a lot of us have been behind the wheel when we shouldn't have been. I too am glad that there were no other fatalities, but I'd phrase it in a more sensitive manner. >>

I'm a recovering alcoholic and I'm glad he didn't kill anyone else either.

I'm pretty angry right now with my beloved Redbirds. The Cardinals need to clean up their act.

<< <i>I recognize that baseball is a game. I don’t expect it to be populated by saints. I personally prefer that my kid look up to my stepson in the Marines than some overpaid, pampered sports star - so I’m not going to trot out that line about “what does it show to the kids?” Frankly, it doesn’t matter.

However Josh Hancok wore the Redbirds uniform, as does Tony LaRussa. That uniform has only been worn by a select group of men who have earned it. Some of those men, like Stan Musial and Red Schoendienst, have become legends on and off the field. Others, great men as well, have drunk themselves into the gutter after having worn it.

Tony wears that uniform, and even though I’m a big fan of him as a manager, I’ll call for his head if he keeps disrespecting that uniform by allowing his players to ruin their lives while they are wearing it. The same goes for him.

The Baseball Hall of Fame is a veritable rogues gallery, and that’s part of the appeal of the sport. However what happened with Hancok could have been an even worse tragedy, one that could have damaged the Cardinals team beyond repair had he gotten drunk or stoned and killed somebody. >>

• Options
    themetalsignthemetalsign Posts: 555 ✭✭
    Not all of us........... Never drove drunk and never will..........
  • Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    Never drank and drove...BUT...I have drank and dialed. Still not a good situation.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    sickening....

yeah, i guess we all screw up, but this guy hit the trifecta- drunk, cell-phoning, AND (cell-phoning AND, AND, AND) SMOKIN THE REEFER! (sorry, shameless Super Troopers reference)......

seriously tho, i think they should PSA this story (no, not grading it), re-enact it and use it to scare people straight. makes me sick. just the sheer stupidity of it.......
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very unfortunate event.

But, there is some good that'll come out of it - at least for a while - there will be talk about what NOT to do.

So something good can come out of a tragedy.

And, what Pandrews said may seem insensitive but it's no more than what a lot of people are thinking right now. And I concur - it's really good that no one was hurt.

I lost a friend in a similar situation - he ran out of gas - while putting gas into the tank in the emergency lane - and unfortunately the cap was in the rear - a drunk mistook it for a regular lane and hit him - he was killed instantly - and what made it worse for me - I was on call that nite - and saw them bring him into the emergency room!

The days of the rhetoric - "we've all done that..." - are over - if you drink and drive - you are a criminal.
    Vehicles kill.

Sorry for being dramatic.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    and he wasnt wearing a seatbelt either.....so lets summarize this: blood-alcohol content two times the legal limit, 8.5 grams of marijuana and a glass pipe found in the suv, was talking on his cellphone...it seems that about the only thing they didnt find in the suv was his brain, which apparently he forgot to take with him when he left the cardinals clubhouse earlier that day. the guy was obviously no rocket scientist nor a member of mensa. its still undoubtedly a tragic story, but perhaps the red sox were on to something when they parted ways with him after only a cup of coffee in 2002.
    always looking for 1958 and 1959 topps baseball in psa 7 and 8
  • Options
    What a sad state of affairs my favorite sport has become. I've never smoked weed, rarely drink if ever and I always wear my seatbelt. I'd give my left nut to play one inning of major league baseball but I wasn't blessed with the ability.

I curse those who have the gift and throw it all away.
  • Options
    What a sad state of affairs my favorite sport has become. I've never smoked weed, rarely drink if ever and I always wear my seatbelt.

I'm pretty sure you're in a very small minority if that's true.

Hancok screwed up, no question, but he paid the ultimate price for his irresponsibility. I'm also glad no one else was hurt.

But to curse him, or all athletes who "throw away" their talent is a bit melodramatic, don't you think? These guys, despite the stardom, are human, with real serious problems and issues like anyone else. Just my .02.

• Options
    Baseball is my favorite sport.

It always has been and always will.

Love the "Game" not the players.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i> What a sad state of affairs my favorite sport has become. I've never smoked weed, rarely drink if ever and I always wear my seatbelt.

I'm pretty sure you're in a very small minority if that's true.

Yes, its true

But to curse him, or all athletes who "throw away" their talent is a bit melodramatic, don't you think? These guys, despite the stardom, are human, with real serious problems and issues like anyone else. Just my .02. >>

Melodramatic? no.
    All my life, all I ever wanted to do was play baseball. I was injured in Little League tryouts on the first day and my mother was too fearful for my safety and never allowed me to play. I attended a private high school where a good number of the players were so good that they played minor league ball. Former Reds, Mets, Yanks and Nats pitcher CJ Nitkowski was 3 years behind me if that helps you understand the level of talent in my high school. The coach said that I was a decent player but there was too much talent for me to make the team. Had I gone to public school, I might have fared a better fate. When I got to college, my major was broadcast journalism so that I could stay close to the game.

So yes, when someone has the ability and gets all the little breaks in life that allow them to play in the arena that I have dreamed about since age 6 and they piss it away, I curse them. I eat, sleep, and breathe baseball and will never see the inside of a major league stadium without a ticket. I curse you Dwight Gooden, Darry Strawberry, Josh Hancok et al
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    I live in St. Louis and they are making him out to be a martyr. It is sickening. Soldiers are dieing in anominity (sp?) in some God forsaken land and few know anything about them. Police and firefighters risk their neck for strangers on a daily basis and need to work second jobs to make ends meet.

For those have mentioned the superfecta of having blood alcohol of nearly twice the legal limit, having marijuana in the car (with pipe), no seat belt, and talking on cell phone add the icing on the cake of going 13 mph over the speed limit.

It is terrible that anyone had to die, but on Sunday three people were murdered across the state in Kansas City in a mall while they were shopping. Not any tributes going around for them.

This guy had the world by the tail and chose to risk it all. I get so sick of the media including the national media of calling St. Louis fans the most knowledgeable in baseball and they slurp up this pompous notion. They may be a little more polite than Yankee, Mets or Boston fans but they are not the gatekeepers of the baseball world.

JH was scene hours before the accident with a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other. He had no respect for the talent God gave him.

First a manager falls asleep drunk at the wheel.
    Next a player kills himself while drunk.
    What will be next? Pujols tests positive?
  • Options
    First a manager falls asleep drunk at the wheel.
    Next a player kills himself while drunk.
    What will be next? Pujols tests positive?

So much for setting examples and all that jazz...

• Options
    You want to see a gallery of real heroes? Check here
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    The guy was a supremely talented athelte , not a saint. I understand that we would like these guys to be role models and really nice people. The truth is they are jerks and stupid and conceited like many other people in all walks of life. They just get to be on TV. A lot of pro atheletes are wonderful folks, too, just like in every other demographic.

Bottom line, just be cause they throw and hit don't make them better or worse than you or me.
    Wondo

• Options
    Melodramatic? no.
    All my life, all I ever wanted to do was play baseball. I was injured in Little League tryouts on the first day and my mother was too fearful for my safety and never allowed me to play. I attended a private high school where a good number of the players were so good that they played minor league ball. Former Reds, Mets, Yanks and Nats pitcher CJ Nitkowski was 3 years behind me if that helps you understand the level of talent in my high school. The coach said that I was a decent player but there was too much talent for me to make the team. Had I gone to public school, I might have fared a better fate. When I got to college, my major was broadcast journalism so that I could stay close to the game.

So yes, when someone has the ability and gets all the little breaks in life that allow them to play in the arena that I have dreamed about since age 6 and they piss it away, I curse them. I eat, sleep, and breathe baseball and will never see the inside of a major league stadium without a ticket. I curse you Dwight Gooden, Darry Strawberry, Josh Hancok et al

I'm sorry you had such an obviously traumatic experience, but again, ballplayers are no different from anyone else in society. Just because they have great talent and make millions of dollars doesn't mean they are immune to personal problems and poor judgement. There are many seemingly "blessed" people who commit foolish or inexcusable acts. Not saying they should be excused for their poor decisions, but your unfulfilled expectations as a baseball player really has no relevance to any of that.

• Options

<< <i> He had no respect for the talent God gave him.

<< <i>

theczar - you hit the nail on the head
  • Options

<< <i> but your unfulfilled expectations as a baseball player really has no relevance to any of that. >>

tell that to the injured 6 year old that I last saw on a school ballfield in a small town in New York 31 years ago
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> but your unfulfilled expectations as a baseball player really has no relevance to any of that. >>

tell that to the injured 6 year old that I last saw on a school ballfield in a small town in New York 31 years ago >>

Did you get to play in high school?
    Wondo

• Options
    Southern

I can understand how you feel - about squandering talent.

I don't have the energy to curse anyone - but I did get annoyed with people like Strawberry and Doc G.

And, I loved baseball also - I was decent in school - but too slow - way too slow.

But as was expressed by many here - it's a game - we love the game - the players come and go - the game is bigger than the sum of the players.

I guess I chose to love the game - that's where my passion and energy went.

I remember my first trip to the ballpark like it was yesterday - Yankee Stadium.

My idol was Duke Snider but I also like the Mick. I remember Mantle more for his parting statements about NOT wanting to be a role model since he blew it - these people are human - they make mistakes.

I wish you could have played - it seems to be very important to you. With that kind of passion, you would've been darn good.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>
    Did you get to play in high school? >>

Wondo - Sadly no. As I stated in the earlier post, the other high school kids were just so much better that many even turned pro. I couldn't make the team in that school.

• Options

<< <i>
    I wish you could have played - it seems to be very important to you. With that kind of passion, you would've been darn good.
    mike >>

Mike - very nice sentiments, thank you. I wish too that I could have played.

Tomorrow morning at 9am, I'll be standing as I have these past few weeks by the bleachers of a local elementary school rooting for my 5 year old as his t-ball team takes the field. My back yard looks like a baseball training camp. Bats, bases, batting tees and even a hit-a-way litter my yard like leaves in the fall. He sits with me and watches every and any game that happens to come on tv. He throws righty but is a natural lefty hitter. I'm teaching him to switch hit every other at bat. He has a fantastic batting eye and can even hit live pitching at his age. The smile on his face and the fire in his eyes reminds me of that 6 year old in NY.

At least I can live my dream through him.

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Not all of us........... Never drove drunk and never will.......... "

/////////////////////////////////////

Ditto.

But, as was noted, as long as we recruit our
    heroes from amongst us, they are always
    going to be subject to the same foibles that
    we are.

Be careful out there.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    At least I can live my dream through him.
    >>

Relax. You can find a 35+ league and hit the teams up for tryouts. Baseball is still a lot of fun. My team has converted several long time softballers, no reason you can't give it a shot.

Do not become one of the parents the youth teams coaches don't want to deal with.

• Options
    sagard - I've looked into the 35+ leagues but I have a knee issue due to an injury that occurred when I was in the police academy. I have 12 years left before retirement and I need to make my legs last.
  • Options
    damn, i feel bad for southerncards now.. sounds like you lived a sad life for many years..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I played Army league softball till I was 45 - I had a rotator cuff injury and it just got too difficult.

Competitive league play is too cool! We take it just as serious as if we were in the majors!

Winpitcher plays league ball - and he's an old man! image

This has been a good conversation - one last thought...

It's our dreams that keep us alive! Never give up your dream.
    mike
    Mike