Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

CICF Coin Report

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
I took my wife and 3 kids to this show. Intending to go to the pre-showing at 2:00pm on the 26th,we were suppose to leave St. Louis on a 7:50 am flight that was cancelled. We ended up going to Minneapolis where there was another delay to go to Chicago. Apparently bad weather around O Hare. We finally arrived at the Crown Plaza at 6:00pm.

No earlybird for me at this show. Well, I was disappointed because I do not mind paying the 50 dollar fee for earlybirds.

Next morning after breakfast with the family I sent them off to museums and I went into the show at 10:00am. The first table I hit was M. Louis Teller. He always carries amazing choice slabbed coins. They are not cheap either. Its cool how many of these guys fly around the world to find coins for their inventory. Mark is one of those dealers. Highlights of what I bought: From Teller:

a Gem 1901a 100 franc gold piece NGC 63 with blazing luster.

an 1815 Argentina NGC au 58 8 reales w/ great luster

a 1827 Lima Peru 8 reales NGC 64 with great luster

1820 ZS AG Mexico 8R NGC au 55.

From there I moved on the Stephan Huber's table. He is a true collector with an inventory better than most dealers.

I bought a killer NGC 66 PR Ultra Cameo 5 mark Hindenburg 1935. I always wanted one of those.

I also bought a really nice NGC 64 2 Thaler Frankfurt. I stopped by Mexican Coins to see if they had any slabbed MS 65 gold pesos from the 1884 to 1904 period. They did not. I did find a MS 65 1896 1 gold peso piece at NEN that I bought for $350.

Next I went to Harlan Berk and bought 2 1967 Israel Victory gold commems ( one in its original holder). I paid a fraction above melt. So much for collector interst in Israel.

Next I swung around to Marcel Haberling from Switzerland. I bought several gem raw francs and half francs anywhere from $75 to $300. I also saw in his case a 1887 MO Mexican 8 reales. It is a prooflike on both sides. I do not remember seeing one like that. Probably will grade a 63. I also bought a raw 1848 five franc with original luster that should grade at least a 63/64. I stopped off to say hello to Mr. Eureka and bought a choice 65 Austrian 1854a 20K.

Overall I saw more cleaned coins on the bourse than in the past. Not as bad as the lightside but noticeably more. I steered clear of those but succumbed to a cleaned but still retaining luster 1809 Mexican 8 reale from Brilliant coins for a reasonable $100 that if graded would go 55.

These are just a few highlights from a fun buying trip. I can imagine what was available the day before. I was planning on attending Ponterio's auction that evening but got a call from my 14 and 11 year who wanted to go see Blue Man group playing in Chicago that evening. We went to Blue Man group so I saved a few bucks not attending the auction. Could not attend on Saturday due to museum sightseeing with the family.

Overall I think dealers had a decent show because collectors that were there were buying. Not heavily attended though. Also NYINC seemed alot bigger and more dealers from overseas.

I will try to post pics at sometime in the future.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Great report, thanks for sharing image
    imageimage
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great report...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds heavenly! A good balance between coins and family too image.

Cathy

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent report!

Next I swung around to Marcel Haberling from Switzerland. I bought several gem raw francs and half francs anywhere from $75 to $300.

Do you mind adding a few details here? Dates, colours? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Great report! I, for one, would *love* to see pics of the 67 UCAM Hindenberg.... image
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    BidAsk:

I thought I would start on yours first since it's the oldest of the CICF reports. I arrived in Chicago on Wednesday before the show started to look at Steve Huber's collection of world crowns. I had already spent another day looking at it in the past. He has either the best or second best collection of world crowns in the US. I only made it up to Hesse on the German side and have not seen any other countries. His collection consists of choice and gem coins and is almost hard to believe. He only sells at two shows, Chicago and New York, and then sells only his dups and other coins (smaller) that no longer fit his collection. He also collects US pattern dollars and German KR gold in proof and Unc. I also bought a coin (Frankfurt) from him on Wednesday before the show started and like Dimitri never take picsimage Good show report and we should get together next time.3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BidAsk:

I thought I would start on yours first since it's the oldest of the CICF reports. I arrived in Chicago on Wednesday before the show started to look at Steve Huber's collection of world crowns. I had already spent another day looking at it in the past. He has either the best or second best collection of world crowns in the US. I only made it up to Hesse on the German side and have not seen any other countries. His collection consists of choice and gem coins and is almost hard to believe. He only sells at two shows, Chicago and New York, and then sells only his dups and other coins (smaller) that no longer fit his collection. He also collects US pattern dollars and German KR gold in proof and Unc. I also bought a coin (Frankfurt) from him on Wednesday before the show started and like Dimitri never take picsimage Good show report and we should get together next time.3Mark >>

Would be delighted to meet you and yes Steve is an outstanding guy with not only great coins but great enthusiasm.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.