Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

CICF 2007 - Good Friends & Gibsons (some images posted)

Well, the mass contingent of dealers jumped into two taxi vans and headed off to dine on Greek food. Pity that. I'll take my Greek cuisine on Santorini or Lesvos, please. imageimage

3Mark and myself were focused on a repeat at Gibsons on Thursday night. CoinKing was smart enough to opt for Gibsons, and myself and 3Mark's rapier wits, and equally fine scotch drinking capabilities. image

Actually, we were fortunate to have Ron as a table mate because he graciously announced the evening was on him, or rather PCGS.image I promised to submit mass quantities of coins for slabbage in the coming year.

As usual, too much food was consumed starting with 3Mark's trademark appetizer tray consisting of spicy lobster cktail, crabmeat avocado, shrimp cktail, and the oyster assortment. In addition to splitting a giant Aussie lobster tail, room was also found for some turf in the form of fillets and strip steaks................yes, a gastronomic extravaganza. The above was washed down with a few Scotch products although I don't think Ron was too keen on my Lagavulin suggestion. image

Well, Ron had mentioned dessert earlier, but there was scarcely room left for table crumbs after the above delights, so we at last decided enough was enough. image Besides, most desserts at Gibson's are scaled for parties of 6 or more. image

What about coins, you say? Yeah, there were about 75 dealers in attendance with tables. I'm not realy sure on the volume of biz, but a few places I know of were near sellouts. Of course, I'm but a poor church mouse, so my damage was limited. image Well, it sort of was anyway. I'm on a mission next weekend so I had to hold back funds. Hey, it was so bad that NEN is holding my check on something. I hope this beastie crosses some day................no, I'm not saying what it is.image

I keep finding that I'm quite a sick man. I needed two Kanton minors like I needed another hole in my head, but how could I resist a luscious gem unc Genf 6 sols minted in 1776. And then there was this 1828 5 batzen from Vaud with stunning toning and lustery silver centers. I showed it to Ron, and he said "how much???". Shaking his at the criminality of such cheap pricing..........hey, it's the DARKSIDE, brother. To add to my insanity I also acquired a new HMZ-Katalog................and it's mostly Kanton stuff............HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I'll try to get some pics up of these two, but frankly after experiencing mgoodm3's digital prowess, I'm loathe to ever image another coin....it's too embarrasing. image

If anyone's looking for a truly gem Victoria shilling, go for the 1880 shilling which NEN has, or had (it could have sold). It's in an NGC MS65 slab and it's Mac-approved. See, NGC gets the right grade on some coins every once in a while. PS., these gems have all but dried up........mainly because Wybrit has about 80% of them cloistered in his lair. image

I also added a 2007 Spink to the mouse library. Oh yeah, at the very end I popped over to Phil's table (a young German dealer) and bagged a couple of gemmy Portugese Guinea 5 and 20 centavos. I've always loved this young head fraulein design.....what's a fraulein in Portugese? I need to Babel it.

Another Oh yeah!!! Ron indicated that at least a partial German registry was in the near future. Of course, I reminded him of the throngs of collectors clamouring for a Swiss and Victorian copper and silver type registry.

On another note, poor Preussen was suffering from a neck ailment and rendered nearly unable to get around. Get well soon.

Comments

• Options
    I went. It was my first time. I twisted my ankle in the parking lot. I got the three coins I wanted. I saw one person I know from the boards. I had two $3.25 Diet Cokes. The bathroom stunk. I gazed longingly at Gibson's on the way out and had a PB&J once I got home. I had a great time, though, and continue my shift towards the darkside.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not realy sure on the volume of biz, but a few places I know of were near sellouts. Of course, I'm but a poor church mouse, so my damage was limited. Well, it sort of was anyway. I'm on a mission next weekend so I had to hold back funds. Hey, it was so bad that NEN is holding my check on something.

imageimage

Sounds like another excellent show for dealers and buyers. I've certainly missed the Gibsons night more than everything but your report was the best antidote so far. image Will soon send avalanche of PMs on that Vaud 5 batz. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had two $3.25 Diet Cokes. The bathroom stunk. >>

For $3.25 I hope the DCs were at least a gallon big...which might be the reason for the second statement image

It's a shame about the ankle sprain--but I'll bet you ignored it so you could see the coins! Rest, Ice, Elevation and Compression. And Motrin. If you can walk on it don't waste time in an ER, but if it doesn't improve significantly in a few days, get it looked at.

Poor Preussen too...I hope he is better soon.

As for the coins...Pictures--where are the pictures?? Sounds like alot of good food and good times (oh, and coins too imageimageimage)

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Despite a painful recurrence of a neck (disk and arthritis related) problem, I managed to have a successful show. After having to retire early to my room for rest & (legal) drugs on Thursday and missing the Gibson’s experience image, I decided that I needed to go back home. But, after carefully considering Delta Airline’s kind offer to fly me back to Pensacola a day early for a modest $900 image, I resigned myself to making the best of my situation.

Moving slowly, resting often, and probably looking as bad as I felt, I managed to make several nice additions to my collection. My finds included a Prussian 1901 (regular issue) 5 Mark in Proof 67 Cameo, several nice Prussian minors (including one from Josh @ Civitas) and 4 Napoleonic medals image. I’m not yet recovered, so it might be a while before I take any pics. -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report...

Preussen, I hope you feel better soon...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could have been there. Looking forward to seeing the pix.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard rumors that Berghoff's in downtown Chicago Closed... it would have been fun to go there, especially if Coinking has never been. It is (was) one of the oldest German places in Chicago... quite the landmark and the beer is terrific

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Great report, thanks for sharing. image Wish I was there. image

Preussen, get well soon image
    imageimage
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, my menina nova (young girl in Portugese)....at least according to Babelfish.

And my Geneva - Schweizer Amerikaner 1776 6 sols......the 1776 makes it American, eh?
    And yes, the colours are dead on. An example of a kabinette stuck piece which rested for many years on the dated side.

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I love that Portuguese 20C. I too am an admirer of the young head or menina nova design.
  • Options
    Yum!!!!! Better than spicy lobster...............image

1828 Vaud 5 Batzen

• Options
    For $3.25 I hope the DCs were at least a gallon big...which might be the reason for the second statement

Hey, they were only $2.75 from the vending machines. And yes, they were about one gallon if you refilled your cup about 8 times. image

Let's just say the Crowne Plaza has a captive audience. You could walk about 600 meters to the nearest McDs, other than that I believe the two cokes and two pizza slices which 3Mark and I enjoyed? Came to nearly $18. image

Now, if that Vaud were only $18 . . . . . . . . image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yum!!!!! Better than spicy lobster...............image

1828 Vaud 5 Batzen

image >>

imageimage

Now you know that I must have a coin from the canton of Vaud in my collection, afterall I lived there for 2 years. image Nice score on the 1776 and I like the Portuguese 20 c too, I own its Cabo Verde version, won at a spoon giveaway a few years ago, recently graded 63RB by NGC,but I think it deserved better.

I hope that Preussen is feeling better and managed to catch up the lost time.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ah yes, my menina nova (young girl in Portugese)....at least according to Babelfish.

>>

Nice pickup on the garota from Guine. imageMenina is generally used to refer to a child rather than a young woman.
  • Options
    Menina is generally used to refer to a child rather than a young woman.

Ah, thanks for the lesson, Newsy. I always worry Babelfish will leave me committing a major faux pas.

The only Portugese I'm real familiar with is Taylor Fladgate vintage port. image '55 and '63 are nice vintages. image
  • Options
    "Garota" is more of a Brazilian expression, in Portugal the most common term is "Rapariga".

And i recommend Graham's vintage image...

Jose