Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

27 Babe Ruth autographed balls in Heritage Auction?

Thumbing through the Heritage sports auction catalogue, I notice that there are 27 different auctions for Babe Ruth autographed baseballs! Some are single signed, some are combinations...but man that is a lot of Ruth autographed balls for one auction.

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    should be great for the buyers
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    There are tons of ruth balls out there, but it seems kinda silly to put them all in one auction. I understand the publicity, but scarty goes out the window
  • Options
    colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭
    Heritage auctions does not really have their stuff together. They have a real reconsignment problem. I will not bid on their auctions again.

Word of advice to anyone that has not bid on their auctions and plans to. If the item comes with a LOA, make sure before you bid that it is not a reconsigned item, because the LOA is going to be from the previous auction. When something gets reconsigned, they do not offer a new LOA they just send the expired one and make you jump through hoops to get a new one. Definetly a pain in the rear and it was more work than it is worth for me. image
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    not to mention the buyers penalty is thru the roof, especially if bidding via ebay- I think it's 24.5%. Add in sales tax if you live in Texas or Ca and you're close to an added 33%.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Yea, there sure are a lot, but I counted 25 , which is still a lot .
    I agree great for the buyers, not as great for the owners though, with so many to choose from .

I was also looking at the catalog, I'm absolutely in love with the Sam Crawford 1930 single signed baseball though .
    What a beautiful signature !

And I can't believe the minimum bid on lot # 19001 is 3 grand ?
    The baseball is beautiful but the signature is invisible .
    I suppose though for a 1918 baseball in that condition , just the baseball alone would bring close to 2 grand .

I have always wondered though how authenticators can tell these damn near invisible signatures are authentic .

That has to be a very cool job though, you get to look at and hold some of the most precious items .

If I were running the show over there I don't think I would offer all of those Ruth baseballs at the same time though, but I guess they know what they're doing .
    Seems to me if there were only 2 or 3 of them being offered they would probably bring a higher dollar .

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd think twice before bidding on one signed with a sharpie. image
  • Options
    It is said that Babe Ruth signed more autographs than any other athlete ever.

Personally however, I wouldn't bid on one signed with a Sharpie just for the fact of a lot of the qualities of his penmanship are lost with a writing implement such as a Sharpie.

The beauty of his signature when using the writing implement of his time which was a fountain pen is what I would be looking for.

Also I know that single signed Babe Ruth baseballs generally bring a much higher dollar but The Babes signature is not really all that hard to duplicate so to have his signature along with others of the time I would much rather have because it's much more likely to be authentic , even though the dollar amount would be quite a bit less , that part wouldn't bother me.
    I would have to think it would be a lot harder to forge a team signed baseball than a single signed , giving it's chances of being authentic a huge boost .
  • Options

<< <i>It is said that Babe Ruth signed more autographs than any other athlete ever.

Personally however, I wouldn't bid on one signed with a Sharpie just for the fact of a lot of the qualities of his penmanship are lost with a writing implement such as a Sharpie.

The beauty of his signature when using the writing implement of his time which was a fountain pen is what I would be looking for.

Also I know that single signed Babe Ruth baseballs generally bring a much higher dollar but The Babes signature is not really all that hard to duplicate so to have his signature along with others of the time I would much rather have because it's much more likely to be authentic , even though the dollar amount would be quite a bit less , that part wouldn't bother me.
    I would have to think it would be a lot harder to forge a team signed baseball than a single signed , giving it's chances of being authentic a huge boost . >>

My friend's father, now in his late 80's, used to as a young boy watch Ruth play the Philadelphia A's. He said he saw Ruth riding on the public trolley a number of times. He also has a number of Ruth autographs on papers and baseballs - I know because I've seem them - beautiful condition. And he wouldn't take all the money in the world for them because he's long retired and doesn't need the money. There's probably a lot of Ruth memorabilia like that out there whose families just aren't going to ever put it on the market.

Those stories about Ruth loving kids are true - my friend's dad has told me that Ruth would regularly, tirelessly, autograph papers and baseballs all the time for kids, and politely answer their questions and talk to them. And of course this was in an opposing team's city! Amazing. A true ambassador for the game.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

ahhh I wouldn't either as sharpies were not around when Ruth was alive.

Isn't that was got Danny Dumbchck in trouble? he used a Sharpie to forge Ruth sigs?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Personally however, I wouldn't bid on one signed with a Sharpie just for the fact of a lot of the qualities of his penmanship are lost with a writing implement such as a Sharpie.

ahhh I wouldn't either as sharpies were not around when Ruth was alive.

Isn't that was got Danny Dumbchck in trouble? he used a Sharpie to forge Ruth sigs?

Steve >>

Ruth died in 1948. Sharpies were invented in the mid-sixties. So I'd be very suspicious of a Ruth autograph signed with a Sharpie because I don't believe in ghosts. LOL
  • Options
    My grandfather told me Babe Ruth used to hide baseballs with his name on them so little kids could find them .

I don't know how much truth there is to that , but I'll tell you that I want to believe it .