stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
Prospect Profiles

Kevin Kolb
Height: 6-3
Weight: 220 Position: Quarterback
College: Houston

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange

OVERVIEW
During the 1989-1990 seasons, the Cougars featured a run-and-shoot offense that brought about a resurgence of the collegiate aerial game. All-American quarterbacks Andre Ware (1989) and David Klingler (1990) led the nation in total offense during those years, but the Houston offense was then stagnant for more than a decade. That all changed with the arrival of Kolb in 2003.

Kolb became the first true freshman in school history to start a season opener at quarterback for the Cougars. Once he was named the team's starter, he never relinquished the job.

Kolb was a standout quarterback at Stephenville High School. He was a member of the Dallas Morning News Top Area 100 squad and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram State Top 100 list. He was rated the 20th-best player in the Big 12 Region by Heartland Recruiting and earned Max Emfinger Texas Super All-State Team honors as well as the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal State Fab 44 accolades.

The two-time District 8-4A Offensive MVP was also picked first-team All-Big County by the Abilene Reporter News. He was selected honorable mention all-state in 2002 and picked second-team Academic All-State. As a senior, Kolb completed 206 of 321 attempts for 3,357 yards and 29 touchdowns, while also tacking on an additional 197 yards rushing.

Recruited by most of the Big 12 Conference schools, Kolb decided to enroll at Houston. He went on to earn Freshman All-American third-team honors from The Sporting News and was named Conference USA Freshman of the Year in 2003. His passing efficiency rating of 153.75 was the second-highest season total in school history. He hit on 220 of 360 passes (61.1 percent) for 3,131 yards, 25 touchdowns and only six interceptions. He added seven scores on 139 carries, picking up 346 yards (2.5 average). He also averaged 267.5 yards per game in total offense, but had 15 fumbles, with the opposition recovering four of those miscues.

In 2004, Kolb threw for 2,766 yards on 198 of 353 attempts (56.1 percent), with 11 touchdowns and six interceptions. He rushed 118 times for 51 yards (0.4 avg.) and five scores, finishing with 2,817 yards in total offense. He fumbled eight times and had 48 passes deflected while being sacked a career-high 42 times.

Kolb was a third-team All-Conference USA choice in 2005. He led the team to the Fort Worth Bowl, connecting on 254 of 420 passes (60.5 percent) for 3,258 yards, 19 touchdowns and a career-high 15 interceptions. He ranked third on the team with 200 yards on 104 carries (1.9 avg.), scoring five times. He also amassed 3,458 yards in total offense while recording two tackles and breaking up one pass. He reduced his fumbles to a career-low five, as the opposition recovered two, but had a career-high 54 passes deflected and was sacked 29 times.

The media caught attention to Kolb in 2006 as he put together one of the finest seasons in Houston history. The Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award finalist and Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award semifinalist ranked fifth in the nation in passing efficiency (162.72 rating), eighth in total offense (283.07 ypg), 10th in points responsible for (14.57 ppg) and sixth in passing yardage (3,809).

Kolb connected on 292 of 432 passes (67.6 percent) with 30 touchdowns and four interceptions. He rushed 111 times for 154 yards (1.4 avg.) and four scores, gaining 3,963 yards in total offense. He was sacked 33 times, but turned the ball over just once on a fumble. He also recorded two tackles (both came tackling the defender who intercepted his pass).

The Houston mainstay would set a school record by starting all 50 games he played in. He holds virtually every passing and total offense record at the school and in Conference USA. He connected on 964 of 1,565 passes (61.6 percent) for 12,964 yards, 85 touchdowns and 31 interceptions. He gained 751 yards with 21 scores on 472 carries (1.6 avg.) and posted four solo tackles with a pass deflection. On 2,037 plays, he accounted for 13,715 yards in total offense and was responsible for 106 touchdowns.

ANALYSIS
Positives: Has good size with adequate muscle definition, losing more than 10 pounds of "baby fat" in the last year to improve his agility rolling out of the pocket … Mobile passer with the nimble feet to make all of his throws when rolling out of the pocket … Short strider who has the change-of-direction agility to sidestep the initial tackler, doing an effective job of throwing from either of the outside hashes … Loves the challenge in pressure situations and remains cool in the backfield, despite numerous protection breakdowns (was sacked 33 times in 2006, but fumbled only once), as he is also very conscious of protecting the ball to prevent the costly fumble … Makes good on-field adjustments and checks on the pre-snap and is alert to zone coverages … Worked hard with the team's new strength coach before the 2006 season and the trimmed frame and added strength allowed him to stand tall in the pocket … Puts nice touch and velocity on his short-to-intermediate throws … Displays good arm strength and accuracy on sideline, screens, slants and crossing routes … Has enough foot speed and balance to be a threat running with the ball and shows good body control in his pass set-up … Can slide and avoid, doing a nice job of escaping pressure and creating when on the move … Does whatever he can to stay alive in the pocket, as he picks up defensive schemes quickly and has no problems taking plays from the chalkboard to the field … Best when making calls at the line of scrimmage, as he does a very good job of scanning the field … Can pull the ball down and make something out of a broken play with his feet and is accurate throwing on the move … Has adequate quickness dropping back from center to his pass-set point and is able to get good depth due to his fine balance and quick feet … The thing you see on 2006 film is that he now does a much better job of setting his feet and stepping into his throws than in past seasons … The ball comes off Kolb's hand with average zip and good touch as he knows how to step towards his target and maintain balance following through with his passes … When he uses a three-quarter release and steps into his throws, his release is much more compact and natural … Throws a tight spiral that receivers don't have to come back on when operating in tight spaces … Throws the long ball with adequate touch and accuracy, zips the posts and even when he passes off his back foot, he is still able to generate good velocity … Patient sitting in the pocket and scanning the field, locating his secondary targets with good efficiency … Shows better accuracy with underneath tosses than on long throws, but does an effective job of keeping the receiver in his route progression without having to break stride … Puts good air behind the short fade routes, knowing when to take something off those throws … Can zip the pass into tight coverage away from the defender, demonstrating good placement and has the awareness and ability to slide in the pocket and continue to scan down field … Knows where all of his targets are and will throw the ball away rather than force the issue when all are covered … Does a good job of squaring his shoulders and driving with his legs to break tackles when forced to run with the ball … Has the vision to pick his spots to run to and is quick to slide and avoid being punished when the defender closes on his rushing attempt … Self-starter who has been a great program player and unquestioned leader ever since first stepping into the huddle as a freshman … Vocal leader, but not the type who appears arrogant, like some quarterbacks tend to be.

Negatives: Has a soft midsection, high-cut calves and thin ankles … Forced the ball more often during his junior year, as he ran through several streaks where he simply threw right to the opposition, resulting in 15 interceptions after having only 12 during his first two years combined … However, he did improve dramatically in this area as a senior … When he holds on to the ball too long, he will be forced to improvise and the result was generally not good (lots of fumbles due to poor ball security) … His problems throwing the ball away came when he threw it to dangerous spots on the field where there was no receiver in sight … Has a nice over-the-top release, but sometimes will wind up (no major issues though) … When he carries the ball too low, it slows down his delivery a bit … When pressured and forced to roll out, he had a little bit of a problem, as his receivers did have to adjust a bit … In the past, he was known as a streaky performer, but he became a much better rhythm passer in 2006 due to his ability to scan the field and be more patient waiting for his receivers to get free … Stands in the pocket taking vicious hits trying to make the pass play because of poor protection throughout his career and needs to throw the ball away more rather than try to create something out of nothing.

Compares To: Jay Cutler, Denver Broncos … Before his senior season, Kolb was reminiscent of David Carr -- blessed with good arm strength, but too streaky in his performance … With added maturity, a trimmer body and a stronger arm, he has elevated his status to the top of the position.

INJURY REPORT
2004: Left the Rice game briefly in the third quarter when he was shaken up after a late hit on an incomplete pass to Vincent Marshall at the 10:12 mark of that quarter.

AGILITY TESTS
Campus: 4.73 in the 40-yard dash … 325-pound bench press … 319-pound power clean … 32 1/8-inch arm length … 9¼-inch hands … Right-handed.

Combine: 4.85 in the 40-yard dash … 1.73 10-yard dash … 2.83 20-yard dash … 4.44 20-yard shuttle … 6.94 three-cone drill … 32½-inch vertical jump … 9-foot-4 broad jump.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Stephenville (Texas) High School, where he was a member of the Dallas Morning News Top Area 100 squad and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram State Top 100 list … Rated the 20th-best player in the Big 12 Region by Heartland Recruiting and earned Max Emfinger Texas Super All-State Team honors as well as the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal State Fab 44 accolades … The two-time District 8-4A Offensive MVP was also picked first-team All-Big County by the Abilene Reporter News … Selected honorable mention all-state in 2002 and picked second-team Academic All-State … As a senior, Kolb completed 206 of 321 attempts for 3,357 yards and 29 touchdowns, while also tacking on an additional 197 yards rushing.

PERSONAL
Business major … Son of Lanell and Roy Kolb … Born Aug. 24, 1984, in Victoria, Texas … Resides in Stephenville, Texas.

Comments

• Options
    Surprising pick but maybe it shouldn't have been surprising considering McNabb has been injury prone. Kolb seems like the type of kid who can be coached-up and will probably need at least a couple seasons before being able to be a winning QB in the NFL. So McNabb won't have to feel "threatened" for the near future.

That's one thing I've always liked about Reid - always looking ahead to the future of a winning team - not just for getting players as bandaids.
  • Options
    Mark this thread for posterity.

Kevin Kolb will windup being a much better NFL quarterback than Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russell.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off I think that both the Browns and Raiders should let both these guys watch from the sidelines next season and learn the Pro game before throwing them into the fire and destroying theit confidence. It is always hard to tell but a rookie QB can have all the talent in the world but a bad supporting cast can easily ruin them.
  • Options

<< <i>First off I think that both the Browns and Raiders should let both these guys watch from the sidelines next season and learn the Pro game before throwing them into the fire and destroying theit confidence. It is always hard to tell but a rookie QB can have all the talent in the world but a bad supporting cast can easily ruin them. >>

I totally agree with you. There have been some exceptions over the years, and more exceptions recently, but overall I think it is best to sit a drafted QB for at least a season or two.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    A bit of a surprise since they could have waited for their next pick in the second round to take him.

Every indication said they would go for a DB. Guess the guys they wanted are taken.

They were even quoted in the NY Times as saying that the QB of the future was not a consideration this year. Probably a smart move. Feeley will certainly stay as the second QB, but Holcumb will probably go.

Quite a smokescreen. Hope they get the DB help with later picks.

A solid durable RB would also be smart. Leonard from Rutgers maybe.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    A lot of chatter from the ESPN guys that this selection has made Donovan McNabb nervous and unhappy and that Andy Reid got him
    on the phone to reassure him that he is still their #1 quarterback.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I personally believe that Kolb was a horrible pick. They could have gone a number of different ways but I though Dwayne Jarrett would have been a good selection

same here. But then again, I thought Jarrett would have been long gone before the Eagles would have picked even at #26. I thought he was a mid teen pick.

Don't like the Kolb pick at all.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I personally believe that Kolb was a horrible pick. They could have gone a number of different ways but I though Dwayne Jarrett would have been a good selection

same here. But then again, I thought Jarrett would have been long gone before the Eagles would have picked even at #26. I thought he was a mid teen pick.

Don't like the Kolb pick at all. >>

It's a terrible pick IMO. If you have a team that's prepared to compete for a title you don't jerk around drafting QB projects in the early second round.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I think Reid meant to pick up Kevin Cob, as in corn on the cobb...here are his other picks:

2nd round : The Hamburgler
    3rd round: Jared from subway
    4th round: The King
    5th round: Pillsbury dough boy
    6th round: Col. Sanders

I see rings in Reids future....

ONION RINGS

JS
  • Options
    In what seemed to be a weak year compared to many other college drafts, I think in a year like this you take some shots with a player such as Kolb. I think a year like this you're probably gonna have a lot of lower round picks who turn out to be as good, or close to as good, as players from the higher rounds.

So if you like a kid like Kolb, and you're say potential corner pick in the second round has just about as good a chance to succeed in the NFL as any third or fourth round corner pick, then why not take a chance with Kolb? I think the reasoning is sound.

But I understand the point of view of NFL fans of Kolb being a bad pick for the high second round - it's not necessarily a wrong point of view. We'll see how it plays out over the years.

After having absorbed it more, I still like the pick considering all factors of this draft. And a factor that has to be considered is McNabb's tendency towards injury over the last few seasons.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mark this thread for posterity.

Kevin Kolb will windup being a much better NFL quarterback than Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russell. >>

Nobody knows that not even Reid, so its a silly prediction. Have you even seen this kid play? Why pick him first when the consensus was that he was a later value?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mark this thread for posterity.

Kevin Kolb will windup being a much better NFL quarterback than Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russell. >>

Nobody knows that not even Reid, so its a silly prediction. Have you even seen this kid play? Why pick him first when the consensus was that he was a later value? >>

"Consensus" is not always accurate on NFL drafts, and often enough not even close to being accurate, and you should already know that!

I'm not that enamored with Quinn or Russell, especially Russell as a #1. And I've already mentioned this about Quinn, that with Charlie Weis as coach, he's already right now about the best he's gonna be, and that "best" may not be good enough to be a winning quarterback in the NFL. While Kolb already is fairly good, and in my opinion, has a tremendous upside potential to be coached up and possibly excel.

Frankly, there could be a few QBs picked lower than Kolb, who turn out better than Kolb, but Kolb I believe will turn out better than Russell or Quinn in the long-run. That's my prediction and by no means is it a silly prediction or even a longshot prediction based on the facts.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Correct me if I am wrong, but a couple of the draft gurus on the NFL network mentioned that the college all-star game he played in and I do not know which one it was was a bust for him. They said he kept fumbling the ball, missed all of his reads, was inaccurate when he threw it, etc. In fact he played so badly according to them that they surmised he would have to sign on as a free agent. Did not anyone else hear this?

Steve you like to throw out things more out of hope I think then what others say or stats show, what have you seen in this kid that makes you believe what you said about him. Have you seen him play?
  • Options

<< <i>Correct me if I am wrong, but a couple of the draft gurus on the NFL network mentioned that the college all-star game he played in and I do not know which one it was was a bust for him. They said he kept fumbling the ball, missed all of his reads, was inaccurate when he threw it, etc. In fact he played so badly according to them that they surmised he would have to sign on as a free agent. Did not anyone else hear this?

Steve you like to throw out things more out of hope I think then what others say or stats show, what have you seen in this kid that makes you believe what you said about him. Have you seen him play? >>

You're right - at times it is hope. What's wrong with that? The NFL draft is nothing but "hope" for the most part and you should know that as well.

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, Ryan Leaf was the second pick in the 1st round. Brady has excelled, Leaf was a bust. NFL drafts are an inexact science.

I'm not sure what you're digging at my friend and I don't really give a chit. I made a prediction as stated, based on the facts as presented, having some fun with it and some hope, nothing more and that's that.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could have sworn McNabb was leading the NFL in every meaningful passing category right up until he was injured last year...simply a silly pick. Maybe they can draft Samardzija next.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>I could have sworn McNabb was leading the NFL in every meaningful passing category right up until he was injured last year...simply a silly pick. Maybe they can draft Samardzija next. >>

You're right and the point is fully understood. But Andy Reid is no Rich Kotite. There's gotta be a fundamentally sound reason for this pick which frankly we may not completely know until Andy Reid writes his memoirs. It's probably a combination of Andy of course likes the kid, bit perhaps even more so that Andy has a lot of doubt about McNabb being able to successfully return from this injury, and not suffering a relapse of some kind.

Certainly no Philly fan "bought" the Andy-speak of him picking the best available athlete on the board. LOL

I think the Andy-speak is one reason Philadelphia hasn't "taken" to Andy Reid like we did Dick Vermeil and Buddy Ryan. Why didn't Reid just say about Kolb, "Look, nobody can be sure how Donovan is going to rebound from the injury so we took a QB we liked." There really wasn't any need for the Andy BS explanation on this pick - just tell it like it is - that's what Philly fans want to hear - for better or for worse. And if McNabb can't handle that...then so be it - that would be his problem if he can't stand some competition for the job.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i> There really wasn't any need for the Andy BS explanation on this pick - just tell it like it is - that's what Philly fans want to hear - for better or for worse. And if McNabb can't handle that...then so be it - that would be his problem if he can't stand some competition for the job. >>

Think you got it right on the nose there Steve. McNabb can't handle it.

We're seeing now that he is a bit of a prima donna. I think there is more to the Reid / McNabb story and someday we will find out. The team should not treat him with kid gloves just because he may get nervous or lose his lunch.

Suck it up and play DMac, and tell Mama to stay out of it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> There really wasn't any need for the Andy BS explanation on this pick - just tell it like it is - that's what Philly fans want to hear - for better or for worse. And if McNabb can't handle that...then so be it - that would be his problem if he can't stand some competition for the job. >>

Think you got it right on the nose there Steve. McNabb can't handle it.

We're seeing now that he is a bit of a prima donna. I think there is more to the Reid / McNabb story and someday we will find out. The team should not treat him with kid gloves just because he may get nervous or lose his lunch.

Suck it up and play DMac, and tell Mama to stay out of it. >>

Agreed!

McNabb hasn't been the same "personality" since the TO "incident" - you'd have to follow the team closely like we do to notice the difference in McNabb's comments, but certainly without a doubt there is friction between McNabb and Reid...and now there's going to be more friction.

But in any event McNabb is signed with the Eagles until 2013 so McNabb better get his act together or he'll be playing for another football team. I know that sounds harsh towards a guy coming off a serious injury...but the NFL ain't no disco.

Other coaches and QB's have performed well, some winning multiple Super Bowls, with friction between them and perhaps it could be argued that the friction sometimes makes both of them better.

Should be another very interesting upcoming Eagles season. image
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I could have sworn McNabb was leading the NFL in every meaningful passing category right up until he was injured last year...simply a silly pick. Maybe they can draft Samardzija next. >>

Agreed. Just a terrible pick. Why are you drafting for 'the future' when you have a Super Bowl caliber team? Go pick up a wideout to replace Stallworth or something. This is the kind of pick you should expect to see from a team that isn't going anywhere. With the Eagles, however, they have a chance to win it all if they plug a few holes, and the 2nd round pick could go a long way towards helping them do that.
  • Options

<< <i>Stevek, I think your fellow fans are hitting on the nail. It's one thing if your the Packers without Aaron Rodgers drafting for the future, even if Farve comes back a couple more years. But the Eagles are a serious Super Bowl contending team, or at least they and their fans believe they are (which is all that matters). To pick a backup QB with your very first pick when there are CLEARLY pressing needs, just doesn't make ANY sense IMO. I think Reid and you might be the only comfortable with this. >>

Baseball and Boo - points understood...and you know that I respect both of your points of view...but obviously from Reid's point of view this was a pressing need. Reid was never enamored with Feeley, heck he drafted him, he did well then traded him, and Reid must think that McNabb is on the decline if not physically then at least mentally. Yes Feeley was resigned but that may have been a kneejerk reaction to Garcia leaving and the Eagles feeling a little desperate. And even the staunchest McNabb fan would have to concur that McNabb has to be considered an injury prone player.

Hey look, if Kolb turns out to be a dud in training camp, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong in standing behind Reid on the pick, but right now I'm gonna still say it is a nice pick, especially after reading his bio.

And to IrishMike so he doesn't have a heart attack - No, I didn't see Kolb play, but I can read and analyze the facts presented about Kolb and I've liked what I've read. Besides, seeing a college player play doesn't always relate to how he's gonna do on a pro level, and you should know that as well.