Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 1964; 1966 - 2002 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• Options

Just fyi, Frank, I have the following autographed Cards cards (got 'em signed by mail in the 1960s):
    1967-210-Bob Gibson (light crease, but otherwise EX++)
    1965-138-"Gibson Wins Finale" signed by Gibby (EX-NM)
    1968-153-"Briles Cools Off Boston" signed by Briles (EX-NM)
    1966-7-Tracy Stallard (1 EX, 1 VG)

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

That Lake is a great example of why pricing something is not necessarily a straightforward task. I'd have guessed that to be a $1 card at best. I had no idea he didn't sign and frankly, outside of building a set or a team run, I imagine the demand for Steve Lake is probably pretty sparse. Congrats, but ouch!

I am clearly less dedicated than you and may have a really tough time paying that for a common, especially one so new. I was choking on a price of $25 for a Bob Giallombardo, 59T being his only card as a player. I had heard he asks $25 TTM, but didn't want to pay that or bother sending off a card with a chance it might not come back. I did find one for sale and bought it, so crisis averted for now. My current wantlist blocks are Darien Nunez, Chris Martin, Justin Bruihl (+ Mookie Betts) and the 7 new 2023 roster players the Dodgers rolled out this year. I don't even need them on Dodger cards, but want to be careful not to overspend just to check a name off the list.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bherman912 said:
    Just fyi, Frank, I have the following autographed Cards cards (got 'em signed by mail in the 1960s):
    1967-210-Bob Gibson (light crease, but otherwise EX++)
    1965-138-"Gibson Wins Finale" signed by Gibby (EX-NM)
    1968-153-"Briles Cools Off Boston" signed by Briles (EX-NM)
    1966-7-Tracy Stallard (1 EX, 1 VG)

NIce! If I needed them, I would try to make a deal for them, but I already have those!

Shane

• Options

@mrmopar said:
    That Lake is a great example of why pricing something is not necessarily a straightforward task. I'd have guessed that to be a $1 card at best. I had no idea he didn't sign and frankly, outside of building a set or a team run, I imagine the demand for Steve Lake is probably pretty sparse. Congrats, but ouch!

I am clearly less dedicated than you and may have a really tough time paying that for a common, especially one so new. I was choking on a price of $25 for a Bob Giallombardo, 59T being his only card as a player. I had heard he asks $25 TTM, but didn't want to pay that or bother sending off a card with a chance it might not come back. I did find one for sale and bought it, so crisis averted for now. My current wantlist blocks are Darien Nunez, Chris Martin, Justin Bruihl (+ Mookie Betts) and the 7 new 2023 roster players the Dodgers rolled out this year. I don't even need them on Dodger cards, but want to be careful not to overspend just to check a name off the list.

Believe me....I totally understand. But I am to the point now to that I am so close on some of these team sets that I am willing to overpay, unless it is just ridiculous. I am getting ready to pay $39 for a Troy Percival private signing and am glad to do it.

What is really tough is someone like Scott Rolen. For private signings he charges $149. If it were only regular base cards, I would be in good shape, but I need cards like league leaders, and all star cards, and gold glove winner subset cards within the regular set....that makes it tough. So, I will do one or 2 every so often.

Same thing with Pujols....except it is double the price and he has many, many more subset cards in the regular sets. Those are going to take forever....unless I can personally meet him one day and spend a couple of hours with him! That would be pretty awesome, but that's probably not going to happen.

Shane

• Options

This next one at first glance is going to appear rather strange. This is a 1992 Topps Tom McKinnon Draft Pick card. There is not Cardinals uniform or Cardinals logo anywhere on the card. However, on the back it says that he was drafted by the Cardinals, even though he never even sniffed the Big Show. Many years ago, I decided that these card needed to be included in my regular, unsigned Cardinals team set. So, naturally, he needed to by in my signed team set. No big deal, right? Well, it became evident very quickly that Mr McKinnon did not sign cards very often at all. I have looked for this card for many years. I just missed one on Ebay about a year or two ago. It sold for $5 before I saw it. It came up in my saved searches and was already bought by the time I could click on it.

I found this one from someone over on SCN. He got this signed in person in Jersey City, NJ in 1993. I hesitate to tell you how much I paid for it because it was a little on the ridiculous side. He said that he wasn't really looking to sell, but he would consider an offer if "it blew him away". I offered $75 and he took it. I guess it blew him away. The reason I overpaid was because this card is the last one I needed for 1992 completion.

This card now completes every team set from 1968 Topps to 1992 Topps.

This makes the total 2,322.

Cardinals-Autographs-978

Shane

• Options

Up next is a 1965 Topps #12 Strikeout League Leaders featuring and signed by Bob Gibson. This is JSA authenticated. I looked for this card it seems like forever! There was another on Ebay that included the Drysdale signature, but it was priced out of sight, so I waited patiently and got this one for much less. Very pleased!

This completes an entire run of every base Topps Bob Gibson including regular cards and subset cards such as All Star cards, League Leaders, World Series cards, etc.

I now only need the elusive 1965 Topps Fritz Ackely signature to complete my 1965 Topps Cardinals signed team set. His card just so happens to be shared by none other than a rookie Steve Carlton. I already have a Carlton signature, but Fritz Ackley died in 2002. It was his only Topps card. That one is going to be tough to find. I would settle for either one with just Ackley or with both Ackley and Carlton (preferred, but would be much more expensive).

This raises the total to 2,323.

Cardinals-Autographs-979

Shane

• Options

Up next is a relatively tough one, and one that was getting tougher as time goes on because he passed away in 2021. Here is a 2009 Topps Update Julio Lugo. If I remember correctly, he passed away of a heart attack.

This one raises the total to 2,324.

Cardinals-Autographs-980

Shane

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭✭

I forgot to ask @frankhardy , are you from and/or live in or near St. Louis? That happens to be where I met in person my (sadly now dearly departed) wife!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2023 5:52AM

@Estil said:
    I forgot to ask @frankhardy , are you from and/or live in or near St. Louis? That happens to be where I met in person my (sadly now dearly departed) wife!

I do not. I live 3 hrs south of St Louis in the western part of Kentucky. Been a Cardinals fan when I was a young boy in 1982.

I remember when you lost your wife. I hate that happened.

I also see your UK avatar. The Cats should be back this year. We'll see! Football has been disappointing.

Shane

• Options

This is a 1993 Topps Traded Rene Arocha. This card completely finishes my 1993 Topps Cardinals signed team set.

This is one that I would not have thought that it would be that tough, but it has been very difficult to find, even though he is still living. I already had his 1993 Topps Prospects card signed and also his 1994 Topps signed. I still need his 1995 Topps signed. One just sold hours before I discovered it this past week. That bummed me out! There is a 1995 Topps Cyberstats version, but I only go for regular, non variation or non parallel cards.

This one raises the total to 2,325.

Cardinals-Autographs-981

Shane

• Options

Up next is another rare cut signature that I have added. Here is a 1953 Topps Les Fusselman with a cut signature from a slip of paper signed back in 1953. Mr Fusselman passed away 53 years ago in 1970. This slip of paper also had signatures from 1953 Cardinals players Grant Dunlap (d. 2014) and on the back Jack Faszholz (d. 2017). Neither of these players had a Topps card in that year or any other year that I could find. I had to butcher Jack Faszholz's signature because it was on the very back of Fusselman's. I was able to save Dunlaps and put it in my miscellaneous Cardinals autograph album.

This 1953 Topps Les Fusselman, even though a common card, to find this card signed is next to impossible. So, I resorted to using a cut signature. With the length of his signature, I did the best I could without covering his face, the logo, or the name plate. I tried not to get into the border, but was unsuccessful. Anyway, I think it turned out alright.

This tough one raises the total to 2,326.

Here is a before and after.

Cardinals-Autographs-982

Cardinals-Autographs-983

Shane

• Options
    edited November 11, 2023 6:33AM

Wow you must be the very best team set guy at this forum! Are there any others here who specialize in their favorite team, like frankhardy does?

And @frankhardy , please tell me you have someone to pass your collection down to when it's inevitably (hopefully decades from now!) your time to check out. I mean going through all this trouble getting all these autographs after all...

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@Estil said:
    Wow you must be the very best team set guy at this forum! Are there any others here who specialize in their favorite team, like frankhardy does?

And @frankhardy , please tell me you have someone to pass your collection down to when it's inevitably (hopefully decades from now!) your time to check out. I mean going through all this trouble getting all these autographs after all...

Well....my plan is to live forever. So far, my plan is working out very well! ;)

Thank you for the compliment! I am passionate about my Cardinals collection - signed and unsigned.

In all seriousness, I am 48, and will be 49 in January. My 23 year old son loves the Cardinals and he knows a lot about my collection, but doesn't actually collect much himself. He will know what to do when that time comes. He probably would keep a few things and sell off the rest.

On an even more serious note.....I actually will live on forever somewhere. Since I have accepted Jesus Christ as payment for my sin, and I believe the Bible with all my heart, I have no worries about my future! I leave that in God's capable hands!

Shane

• Options

This one is a tough modern signature. He doesn't sign much at all. This is a 2007 Topps Update Troy Percival. I obtained this one through a private signing on SCN.

This one raises the total to 2,327.

Cardinals-Autographs-984

Shane

• Options

@frankhardy said:

On an even more serious note.....I actually will live on forever somewhere. Since I have accepted Jesus Christ as payment for my sin, and I believe the Bible with all my heart, I have no worries about my future! I leave that in God's capable hands!

Well as Charlie Rich would say, you can't take your collection with you when you're gone! But one way or another you'll have enough to get there on! While guys my age (like yourself; well close enough) are raising kids, and Charlie Rich was raising hell, I just wanna raise kitties! If it was up to me I'd have a whole apt full of them but my mean apt only lets me have one :(

WISHLIST
  • Options

Here is a fairly tough modern one. As with many modern players, his signature is not the tough part. The tough part is finding a signature on the specific card I need (if that makes sense). Anyway, I've been searching for this one for a while, and I snagged it recently from a reputable Ebay seller.

This is a 2013 Topps Jaime Garcia.

This one raises the total to 2,328.

Cardinals-Autographs-985

Shane

• Options

This is another cut signature that is satisfactory since I have looked long and hard for this one. This is a 1960 Topps Cardinals coaches card. I already had one with Johnny Keane (d. 1967), and another with both Ray Katt (d. 1999) and Harry Walker (d. 1999). I just needed Howie Pollet (d. 1974). I found an index card that was signed in 1949 when he played for the Cardinals. I cut it out and stuck it to another Cardinals coaches card.

So, here is a 1960 Topps Cardinals coaches card signed by Howie (Howard) Pollet.

There are before and after pictures.

This raises the total to 2,329.

Cardinals-Autographs-986

Cardinals-Autographs-987

Shane

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    This is another cut signature that is satisfactory since I have looked long and hard for this one. This is a 1960 Topps Cardinals coaches card. I already had one with Johnny Keane (d. 1967), and another with both Ray Katt (d. 1999) and Harry Walker (d. 1999). I just needed Howie Pollet (d. 1974). I found an index card that was signed in 1949 when he played for the Cardinals. I cut it out and stuck it to another Cardinals coaches card.

So, here is a 1960 Topps Cardinals coaches card signed by Howie (Howard) Pollet.

There are before and after pictures.

This raises the total to 2,329.

Cardinals-Autographs-986

Cardinals-Autographs-987

Love the fit!!!

Nicely done Shane!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2023 7:50AM

Here is another very tough one that I had to resort to using a cut signature. He signed cards a bunch early in his career, but I can't find any Topps Cardinals cards and I have been looking for years. He tragically passed away during the season in 2002 while with the Cardinals.

Here is a 2000 Topps Traded Darryl Kile with a cut signature from an index card that is authenticated by JSA. I was pleased how this one turned out. I have even started taking any JSA oval stickers and cutting them out and attaching them to the back. I still have the JSA serial number card that comes with any authentication.

Of course, if any of these cut signature creations turn up as "on card" signatures, I will be going after them. Until then, these will have to be sufficient. I actually enjoy working on them. The only one that I am totally displeased with is the 1952 Topps Hal Rice. I may try to find another signature and redo it.

This one take the total to 2,330.

Cardinals-Autographs-988

Cardinals-Autographs-989

Shane

• Options

@frankhardy said:
    Here is another very tough one that I had to resort to using a cut signature. He signed cards a bunch early in his career, but I can't find any Topps Cardinals cards and I have been looking for years. He tragically passed away during the season in 2002 while with the Cardinals.

Here is a 2000 Topps Traded Darryl Kile with a cut signature from an index card that is authenticated by JSA. I was pleased how this one turned out. I have even started taking any JSA oval stickers and cutting them out and attaching them to the back. I still have the JSA serial number card that comes with any authentication.

Of course, if any of these cut signature creations turn up as "on card" signatures, I will be going after them. Until then, these will have to be sufficient. I actually enjoy working on them. The only one that I am totally displeased with is the 1952 Topps Hal Rice. I may try to find another signature and redo it.

This one take the total to 2,330.

Cardinals-Autographs-988

Cardinals-Autographs-989

Love this one!!!!!!

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

Thanks @threeofsix !

So.....I have another one. Here is a 2001 Topps Darryl Kile. This index card was not authenticated, but it comes from a reputable seller and is the real deal.

Here is a before and after picture.

This one makes the total 2,331.

Cardinals-Autographs-990

Cardinals-Autographs-991

Shane

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

Both look great

sad story.

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

Up next is my latest cut signature. This one is a 2002 Topps Darryl Kile. This card was from the year he died. This cut signature comes from a PSA/DNA authenticated index card. I was able to include the #57. I really like how these Kile cuts turned out. Again, if an "on card" signature of any of these cards, I will be agressive!

Below is a before and after picture.

Total is now 2,332.

Cardinals-Autographs-992

Cardinals-Autographs-993

Shane

• Options

This next one is one that scared me. I have been looking for this one for years. Finally.....I found one from a reputable auto dealer on eBay. I offered $20 and he took it. I forgot to mention that I did not want it shipped in the cheap PWE Ebay shipping option because I have had at least one auto lost that way about a year ago (2007 Topps Kip Wells) and I still haven't found a replacement.

This one finally came after about two weeks of waiting. I don't mind inexpensive cards shipped that way as long as they are not signed by some rare signer. But if a card is signed by a rare signer, I will always try to remember from now on to request a better shipping option! This one had me a little worried, but it finally got here!

Here is a 1994 Topps Traded Bret Wagner. This one doesn't seem earth shattering, but it was indeed a very difficult one to find!

Total is now 2,333.

Cardinals-Autographs-994

Shane

• Options

@frankhardy said:
    This next one is one that scared me. I have been looking for this one for years. Finally.....I found one from a reputable auto dealer on eBay. I offered $20 and he took it. I forgot to mention that I did not want it shipped in the cheap PWE Ebay shipping option because I have had at least one auto lost that way about a year ago (2007 Topps Kip Wells) and I still haven't found a replacement.

This one finally came after about two weeks of waiting. I don't mind inexpensive cards shipped that way as long as they are not signed by some rare signer. But if a card is signed by a rare signer, I will always try to remember from now on to request a better shipping option! This one had me a little worried, but it finally got here!

Here is a 1994 Topps Traded Bret Wagner. This one doesn't seem earth shattering, but it was indeed a very difficult one to find!

Total is now 2,333.

Cardinals-Autographs-994

Nice get!!!!!!

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    Here is a fairly tough modern one. As with many modern players, his signature is not the tough part. The tough part is finding a signature on the specific card I need (if that makes sense). Anyway, I've been searching for this one for a while, and I snagged it recently from a reputable Ebay seller.

Cardinals-Autographs-985

Congrats on the Jaime Garcia! I know we've talked about this before but he's a toughie for me as well on a Rookie Cup card. One of only 11 I'm missing including the new guys.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options

@yankeesman said:

@frankhardy said:

Cardinals-Autographs-985

Congrats on the Jaime Garcia! I know we've talked about this before but he's a toughie for me as well on a Rookie Cup card. One of only 11 I'm missing including the new guys.

I remember that. I need it too. That's in 2011. Since you only need 11, if I don't forget, I will try to defer to you if one becomes available.

Shane

• Options

Wow, @frankhardy you sure seem to be very laser focused on this one project! I'm just the opposite I'm spread out across several collecting sorts of hobbies but shrugs I can't help how I'm wired in that regard ya know?

WISHLIST
  • Options

@Estil said:
    Wow, @frankhardy you sure seem to be very laser focused on this one project! I'm just the opposite I'm spread out across several collecting sorts of hobbies but shrugs I can't help how I'm wired in that regard ya know?

At least we have UK in common - Go Big Blue!

Shane

• Options

This is a 2005 Topps Yadier Molina. Finding Molina on regular Topps cards (non pack inserted) is a huge challenge. And when you find one, they are on the pricey side. This one was a price a could live with. It is his second year card. I have a few including his rookie that I got TTM in 2007. Needless to say, he no longer signs TTM. I have a long, long way to go when it comes to getting all of Molina, but this one is another addition.

Total is now 2,334.

Cardinals-Autographs-995

Shane

• Options

@frankhardy said:

@Estil said:

At least we have UK in common - Go Big Blue!

You know prior to 1988 St. Louis had TWO Cardinals teams! I bet that sure cause a lot of confusion about which they were referring to! I think the football Cardinals had a cute Gridbirds nickname though.

WISHLIST
  • Options

@frankhardy said:
    This next one at first glance is going to appear rather strange. This is a 1992 Topps Tom McKinnon Draft Pick card. There is not Cardinals uniform or Cardinals logo anywhere on the card. However, on the back it says that he was drafted by the Cardinals, even though he never even sniffed the Big Show. Many years ago, I decided that these card needed to be included in my regular, unsigned Cardinals team set. So, naturally, he needed to by in my signed team set. No big deal, right? Well, it became evident very quickly that Mr McKinnon did not sign cards very often at all. I have looked for this card for many years. I just missed one on Ebay about a year or two ago. It sold for $5 before I saw it. It came up in my saved searches and was already bought by the time I could click on it.

I found this one from someone over on SCN. He got this signed in person in Jersey City, NJ in 1993. I hesitate to tell you how much I paid for it because it was a little on the ridiculous side. He said that he wasn't really looking to sell, but he would consider an offer if "it blew him away". I offered $75 and he took it. I guess it blew him away. The reason I overpaid was because this card is the last one I needed for 1992 completion.

This card now completes every team set from 1968 Topps to 1992 Topps.

This makes the total 2,322.

Cardinals-Autographs-978

I feel you pain. Not sure I could swallow that pill though. You are clearly more dedicated than I am. I just wanted any autograph. Would love to have all of the players cards signed, but the reality is my cheapness won't allow that to happen. Congrats on what must feel like a huge win! Wish I would have had one to give you.

• Options

Apparently I had not checked on this thread in some time.

Some people are all about the money and making as much as you can is the American way, but it's frustrating to see you having to drop huge sums on scrubbies, just because they were difficult signatures.

It's funny how some players, who would not catch the attention of anyone for their less than stellar careers, suddenly become the marquee act when it comes to signatures. Noe Munoz was one of those guys for me. I have not looked for a while, but those autos that were for sale when I was looking were $50+ in most cases. He played 2 games for the Dodgers in 1995! I waited quite a whil and finally found one at a reasonable price. I still don't understand the asking prices, aside from possibly his success in baseball played in Mexico.

Supply is meaningless if there is no demand though. We are our worse enemies sometimes when we'll do whatever it takes to get that tough item.

I wish you continued success and enjoy seeing the collection grow,

• Options
    edited December 25, 2023 8:13AM

@mrmopar

The crazy thing is that another one came up for sale literally 4 days after my post.... It sold for $2.99 plus shipping! A few weeks later another one auctioned for $23.00 plus shipping.

Oh well, $75 stinks, but at least I have it! I've had plenty go the other way!

Shane

• Options

Here is another one of those pesky modern ones where the autograph isn't that rare, but finding it on a specific card is a little tough to do. This is a 2019 Topps Yairo Munoz. Glad to get it. I now only need Yadier Molina and Adam Wainwright to finish the complete 2019 team set.

Total is now 2,335

Cardinals-Autographs-996

Shane

• Options
    edited December 29, 2023 8:34AM

Ok, the story behind this next one gets very complicated. This is a 1957 Topps Sam Jones with a JSA certified cut signature. One thing that makes this one such a special one is that "Sad" Sam "Toothpick" Jones passed away all the way back in 1971.

At the beginning of my research, I posted a thread here called "Sam Jones, Sam Jones, or Sam Jones?"

When I first started researching this, I found that there was the original pitcher named "Sad" Sam Jones (Samuel Pond Jones) that played from 1914-1935 (never for the Cardinals). Then, there was the Sam Jones that played for the Boston Celtics. I was able to eliminate him very early from the confusion because I studied his signature and can spot it.

There were still a couple of problems. Problem number one was the fact that it appeared as if BOTH Sam Jones' were called "Sad" Sam. Knowing for sure that the original Sam Jones was called "Sad" Sam (and finally figuring out the original Sam Jones signature, which was easy), I was just trying to confirm that the Cardinals Sam Jones had the same nickname. I was able to confirm this from 2 different sources. One from SABR (The Society of American Baseball Research). SABR said that he was named "Toothpick" Sam because he always had a toothpick in his mouth. SABR also said that he was also known as "Sad" Sam because he was "mournful looking" and he didn't talk much and mumbled when he did talk.

I was also able to confirm both nicknames on the back of his Topps baseball cards. I didn't even think about looking on the back, and just happen to notice it accidently while researching. Sometimes the best place to hide something is out in the open, right? The back of his 1957 Topps calls him "Sad" Sam. The back of his 1958 Topps says that "Sam always keeps a toothpick in his mouth when he's pitching."

The reason that it was so important to confirm the nicknames was that I kept seeing the original Sad Sam Jones signatures on index cards, but I also saw a signature from Sam "Toothpick" Jones actually sign his name "Sad Sam Jones" on an index card, but the listing title was "Toothpick Jones". After looking into it further, this particular index card (not the one on the 1957 card below) was listed by an expert on Sam Jones who is also on SCN. He explained (as I also confirmed elsewhere) that he sometimes signed his name "Sad" Sam as homage to the original "Sad" Sam. I think I even saw a couple of other confusing examples of sellers not knowing which one was which and having different nicknames in the title.

To add to the confusion (this is all in my Sam Jones thread), the Cardinals' Sam "Toothpick" Jones had 2 very different signatures during his career. If you look at the facsimile signatures on the front of his 1952 Topps and the back of his 1953 Topps, you will see that it is in the same style as this one posted below on my 1957 Topps. Then, if you look on his 1956 Topps and 1959 Topps cards, his signature is much different. I have seen authenticated signatures in both styles. It appears as though he used the slanted signature with a normal looking "J" early in his career and also later in his life. Sometime, in the mid 1950's he went to a funky looking "J" with the signature not as slanted (like his 1956 and 1959 facsimile signatures).

This 1957 Topps cut signature is his earlier and later style. I also have another one that I will post later (probably later today or tomorrow) on a 1958 card that is identical to this one. What I am looking for now is the "funky J" style (mid career style) to put on his 1959 card so it will match the facsimile signature. Note - he did not play for the Cardinals in 1952, 1953, or 1956, so I am not concerned with those other than comparisons.

This is probably the most confusing situations I have ran across during this project. I would say it is probably more confusing than the different Cardinals named Bob Miller featured on a 1959, 1960, and 1961 Topps cards.

So, after all of this research, here is a 1957 Topps "Sad" Sam "Toothpick" Jones cut signature. There are before and after pictures.

Edited to say - On SCN I have seen a couple of different "Toothpick" Jones' signatures on paper along with several of his teammates from the early 50's on the Indianapolis minor league team for the Indians. These were all signed in person at a game and it is a similar signature to the slanted signature below.

The total is now 2,336.

Cardinals-Autographs-997

Cardinals-Autographs-998

Shane

• Options
    edited January 2, 2024 4:06PM

To continue the story above...

Here is a 1958 Topps Sam Jones with a cut signature from an orange index card. There are before pictures of back and front and then a picture of the completed card. This one is not officially authenticated, but I have studied this one enough to have no doubts. Plus, on the back of the index card, the original obtainer wrote in cursive who it was, his position (P for pitcher), his team, and the date. Sam Jones was playing for the Tigers in 1962, and the date of the signature was 9/18/62.

Again, if any of these cut signature cards become available as an "on card" signature, I will do my best to get it. Until then, since I have looked so long and hard for all of these, the cut signature route is a very enjoyable way to supplement and complete my project. I try to make them look as good as I can.

Sam Jones passed away in 1971.

This one raises the total to 2,337.

Cardinals-Autographs-999

This one below is the back of index card with obtainer's handwriting; not Sam Jones' signature

Cardinals-Autographs-1000

Cardinals-Autographs-1001

Shane

• Options
    edited January 6, 2024 9:26AM

Up next is a 1964 Topps Johnny Keane with a cut signature. Mr Keane passed away in 1967. This signature comes from a team issued postcard in which I have several others including Bob Gibson. These signed postcards came from the famous "Uncle Jimmy" collection that was sold off a few years ago by his family. If you don't know about the "Uncle Jimmy" collection, just look it up. He had some RIDICULOUS autographs including a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth.

So, I had a decision to make on this one. I could spend well over $100 to get a signed index card of Johnny Keane, which is what I had planned on doing. Then, I remembered I had this postcard stashed away that was signed. I already have a few Cardinals signed postcards that were part of the "Uncle Jimmy" collection, so this particular one of Johnny Keane, though I enjoyed owning it, it didn't mean all that much. So, I decided to make a cut signature for free.

The interesting thing is that the "Birds on the Bat" sort of matched up.....not exactly....but close. So, I when I cut it out, I had in mind to try to match up the birds, even though the signature was black and white. I think it kind of worked out pretty well. Take a look below. There is a before and after picture (even though I forgot to take a scan before I cut it out...I had to piece it together before I glued it to the card).

Total is now 2,338.

Cardinals-Autographs-1002

Cardinals-Autographs-1003

Shane

• Options

That, my friend, is an awesome ball! I have several of those guys on cards. My best baseballs are a team signed ball from 2001 Spring Training with a rookie Albert Pujols and a 2002 team ball with Pujols. Yours is fantastic!

Shane

• Options

@frankhardy said:
    That, my friend, is an awesome ball! I have several of those guys on cards. My best baseballs are a team signed ball from 2001 Spring Training with a rookie Albert Pujols and a 2002 team ball with Pujols. Yours is fantastic!

Thank you!! Wish I could go back in time and get a team ball from every MLB team in the 1950's!! Man, can you imagine? All PSA/DNA 10's! LOL!

• Options

Now, back to Sam Jones. Here is a 1959 Topps Sam Jones via a cut signature from an index card. My 1957 and 1958 Topps are his earlier / later style signatures. This one, since it matches the facsimile autograph on his 1959 card, I wanted a middle career style signature. This one comes from a very reputable source on SCN who happens to know much about the second "Sad" Sam Jones autograph saga. This style is very rare, and even more rare for him to sign it with the "Sad" nickname.

Even though these are cut signatures and are easier to obtain that specific cards, I am still very proud to have these because he died so long ago in 1971.

I have posted a before and after picture below.

The new total is 2,339.

Cardinals-Autographs-1004

Cardinals-Autographs-1005

Shane

• Options
    edited January 31, 2024 7:57AM

For the 4 or 5 people that look at this thread.....

I am stoked! The best autograph POSSIBLE for my Cardinals collection is headed my way! Will post as soon as I get it.

Anybody want to guess?

Shane

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope it's Stan the Man!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Cubs fan I will guess an autographed Brock or Sutter rookie (they look so good in Cubs uniforms!) or an autographed Bruce Sutter ball authenticated from the Sandberg game!

I check into this thread every couple of months and enjoy your collection - it really is a comprehensive labor of love.

I will give 3 real guesses:

1) Autographed Musial bowman rookie (or if sticking to Topps autographed ‘58 All-star his first Topps card)
    2) Autographed 1933 Goudey Hornsby (or if sticking to Topps 1961 Baseball Thrills though this is probably quite rare since he passed in 1963)
    3) Something team signed from the ‘82 Cardinals.

Excited to see what you have coming. You definitely have a collection to be proud of and I am sure your addition will be incredible.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

I am going with a multiple league leaders cards with multiple cardinals on it or a rarer pujols

can't wait to see it

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shane,

You have made such terrific progress with some oldies using the cut signatures. Congrats on finding a way to further enjoy the process of putting together such an amazing auto collection for your Cardinals teams.

I can't wait to see your new pickup!!!

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2024 8:49AM

Joaquin Andujar! RIP

(my favorite Cardinal as a kid in the 80s)

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    Joaquin Andujar! RIP

He was cool! Was he also prone to getting into fights? For some reason I remember that.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@BBBrkrr said:
    Joaquin Andujar! RIP

He was cool! Was he also prone to getting into fights? For some reason I remember that.

Yes he was. I was at a game in maybe 1984 against the Giants and there was a bench clearer while he was pitching.

He was certainly one of a kind that some called straight up crazy.