Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Have to recommend this book on non-sports tobacco cards...

OK, I know this isn't the non-sports forum (I'll post it there, too), but I figure there's likely some cross-over of interest.

I've found myself becoming more and more interested in non-sports tobacco cards lately, and I found this book on eBay last week for about $15 and snatched it up. It arrived yesterday, and I've barely put it down since... "American Tobacco Cards: Price Guide & Checklist" by Robert Forbes and Terence Mitchell.

I'm sure many of you probably already have it or have seen it (the copyright date is 1999), but I wanted just wanted to put out this recommendation to those who haven't. (I found it just by accident as I was looking up some cards on eBay.)

Great write-ups, photographs and checklists for some 600 sets... The prices are out of date, but I'm sure I'm going to wear this thing out as a reference and as just-for-fun reading. Great book.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I got it on Amazon a few months ago, and will agree it's incredible.
    I'll also add in a plug for Adam Warshaw's Boxing card book. I bought it just to have something to read, and ended up starting a boxing collection because the book got me really hooked.
    Both are must reads.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got it on Amazon a few months ago, and will agree it's incredible.
    I'll also add in a plug for Adam Warshaw's Boxing card book. I bought it just to have something to read, and ended up starting a boxing collection because the book got me really hooked.
    Both are must reads. >>

Anthony

I can't collect boxing - I would be spread too thin.

But, that's a great area to collect and I would guess under-appreciated?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I agree, it is a great reference book for identifying tobacco cards but you still need "The American Card Catalog" to ID old non tobacco cards.

Rich
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    C'mon Stone! T9's fit right in with your t3's!