Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Japanese Translation Help Part 2

Several days ago I provided links to two medals that I found interesting on eBay. I have since claimed them. One was a Calligraphy award and the second commemorated Monkosha. The eBay garphic was not too clear for all inscriptions, so here are better shots. Some of them were translatable from the eBay photos; some were not.

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Harasha, the character in the top image, 4 o'clock, is "institute." I can't figure out the other two (one at seven, one at twelve o'clock).

The final image is too small for me to read.

As for the other phrases, I will stand by my posts from before.
  • Options
    OK, I got the first and third characters in the little seal. I think it just says Calligraphy Institute.

I am still pawing through my dictionaries...
  • Options
    In the old thread I suggested that one medal commemorated the new construction of the building it depciting. I just confirmed that. It says, "New Construction Commemoration."

Woo hoo.

I love dictionaries.
  • Options
    Harasha, I added a post to the old thread. I found the company name in a dictionary and it looks like it is "Bankosha." Beautiful Bride may disagree...image
  • Options
    OK, I am going to go with "Calligraphy Institute" for the little round seal.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many, many thanks, Sumnom, for your help. I can manhandle Greek, Hebrew and Persian (slightly different than Arabic) alphabets, but I doubt if I have even the basic skill for the Asian (though I once tried to master the "modern" Japanese alphabet).

The small characters at the bottom were from the rim. They probably mean something like bronze or Mint of Nippon.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    The little characters on the rim may identify the manufacturer of the medal but the image is too small for me to read.
  • Options
    I don't know the first one.

2. 1st line (from right to left)
    "Taish¨­ 15th year September", (Sep, 1926)
    2nd line (from right to left)
    New ? Commemorative

1st line: co.,ltd.
    2st line: "10000" "years" "institute" (I guess its meaning is longlife)

4. Sorry, the image is unclear.
  • Options
    Bob,

I agree with your "co. ltd" translation but the following line is likely to be "Banko Company," literally "10,000 good fortunes company." Then again, 10,000 years is a common phrase but I can't get the seal script for "year" to match the character on the medal.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    "Mankou Sha" is the name of the company (Mankou Co., Inc.). I'll have to take sumnom's word for it on the "Shinchiku Kinen". BTW, the characters are read right to left (old style).
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Shiro, I was thinking Mankou as well but I found "Bankou" in Morohashi. Maybe I should check it again.
  • Options
    The Beautiful Bride also called it "Man Ko Sha"
    Roy

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Beautiful Bride also called it "Man Ko Sha" >>

There you have it.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    The controversy rages on!image

"Man" makes more sense to me, actually. I was merely reporting the entry in my dictionary.