Home Sports Talk
Options

Ok, I have to ---- Let's talk about.......uh.....well...uh...ok here goes....RAY OYLER? How many re

There is a little trivia to him relating to the 1968 Detroit Tigers--Who will be the first
to say correctly?

Tony
KalineFan

Comments

• Options
    isnt that the guy who was benched in sept after batting like 160 in the reg season?? I think he went on to play in seattle- not sure
    Looking to Trade and Buy Tony Romo GU/Autos/RCS
  • Options
    Wasnt he benched in the World Series and the Tigers center fielder Mickey Stanley had to play short? Im thinking he was also on the Pilots. Had a pathetic batting average and was not a card you wanted to see when you opened your packs of baseball cards.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that he had the lowest batting average ever (.135) for a regular position player on a WS winning team (although he had lost his "regular" status by the time the WS came around). Great shortstop and great bunter, though.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    CUBFAN I believe you got it correctly first.

With one of the boldest moves in World Series play, in the 1968 Series, Tiger Manager
    Mayo Smith moved Gold Glove Centerfielder Mickey Stanley in to Shortstop to take over
    the patheti....er duties at the position in order to make room for Tiger Star Al Kaline in
    rightfield, who was on the bench because an injury in September. Jim Northrup moved
    from the rightfield position for Kaline. Northrup hit the now famous flyball at St. Louis'
    Gold Glove centerfielder, Curt Flood, who misjudged the ball for a 2-run double. In Game
    5, Kaline came through with the Tigers down 3 games to 1, with THEE clutch base hit to
    push across the go-ahead runs in the game. It turned the whole series around and
    Kaline ended up with the second highest average in the World Series at .379, just under
    Norm Cash' leading average.

Tony
    KalineFan