Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Rivera the Best Closer in the Game?

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
I still think he is, he's just having a rough start to the season. I believe he'll be there, shutting down hitters routinely, in a short while. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Oh, I hate the Yankees, but respect Rivera as the game's best.

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

ctsoxfan:
    I think Mariano has to concern you guys - he just isn't right.

softparade
    He can't pitch forever Jerry ..... right now I think it is his command as his stuff is still very good. BUT, ya can't pitch forever and if the end comes sooner then later I will tip my hat to a guy who gave us a career that no other closer has given their fans as far as post season success and probably will never happen again

perkdog
    Tough game Fellas. We will go at it again the next couple of days.

yankeeno7
    blah....

perkdog
    << He can't pitch forever Jerry ..... right now I think it is his command as his stuff is still very good. BUT, ya can't pitch forever and if the end comes sooner then later I will tip my hat to a guy who gave us a career that no other closer has given their fans as far as post season success and probably will never happen again >>

I will tip my hat to him as well. I dont think he is done just yet though...

softparade

<<
    I will tip my hat to him as well. I dont think he is done just yet though... >>

Right, and he just has not had work since the rest of the staff as blown up. His "stuff" is still the same. No concern there ..... but no Yankee fan is going to shed any tears the day he is done. He has been a closer for the ages ......

softparade
    Think about it guys, IMAGINE Paplebon still as the bonafide Sox closer to start the 2018 season. THAT is how long Rivera has done it. I don't think anybody actually realizes that!

perkdog
    Dan, there is no doubt he is a sure fire HOF'er. Mariano Rivera's name alone speaks for itself.

softparade
    Mariano still has the ability ..... I am not conceding anything. BUT we all know the end is near whether it is this year or next or even in 2009. Mo pines to pitch in the new Yankee stadium so he will be around does that mean CLOSER at some point? I don't know but he will be around and be effective I am sure.

-------------------------

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

I surely wasnt saying "blah" to Mariano...just to loss 6 in a row. Best closer in the game? If not the top, I would still say in the top 3.
  • Options
    The best closer in the game was Cy Young.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He wasn't the best closer last night.
  • Options

<< <i>He wasn't the best closer last night. >>

Jeez, I must have missed where he came in a position to close the game and get a save...
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Barndog, people forget that Rivera always seems to have a few rough games early in the season. Then we get the routine articles that his reign is over. It's not over till it's over, and cash is almost as good as money!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Career 2.29 ERA, the best all time for closers. I dont think he will take over Hoffmans spot as the career saves leader but sure fire HOF career. Come crunch time I would take him over anyone else.
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    His stuff is certainly still there. He still continues to hit the mid to upper 90's with nasty movement. It's just that thus far this year he hasn't had the command he normally does. That's probably because he hasn't really had any routine work thus far. The Yankees give up so many runs that they either have to come from behind to win (which leaves little opportunity for a closer to come in), or they are never in the lead and don't have a save situation. Rivera always has needed consistent work, as most closers do, and the lack of it this year has made it rough. I'm not worried about Rivera at all. I don't think he is the "BEST" closer of all time (As I think Eckersley was the best in that regard) but I certainly put him at #2 quite easily.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997

<< <i>Agreed that Rivera's "stuff" is still good and I believe he'll eventually find command of his pitches. He's been so consistent for so long that I find it hard to believe he's all of sudden lost his ability to pitch. If his "stuff" was beginning to deteriorate, that would be another story. >>

Exactly. That is when I'd get worried. It's just the lack of routine work that has made it tough for him to get in a rythm and get the "feel" that he needs. Today he looked pretty good and Varitek got a broken bat hit which is basically "Old Mo". (That was one thing missing from Mo this year. His location was so poor that he wasn't getting broken bats at the rate he used to).
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.