Home Sports Talk
Options

Anyone know the answer to this question

I am only curious, but as I was looking at Ty Cobb's career stats I noticed that in 1908 he had 4 homers and 108 rbi. The question is this - What player achieved 100 rbi with the fewest homers in a season?

Comments

• Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Here's a couple for ya:

1931 Pie traynor 2 HR, 103 RBI

1943 Billy Herman 2 HR, 100 RBI

those would be tough to beat.
    Capecards
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Lave Cross, 1902: 108 RBI, ZERO homers.
  • Options
    I always think it is amazing to look back and see that Ty Cobb won the first triple crown in history in 1909 with nine homeruns. Wow how times have changed.
  • Options
    I find it amazing that Ty Cobb won the Triple Crown period. How many people would know that???
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    According to my notes (not sure why I keep these things):

Nap Lajoie won the triple crown for Philadelphia in 1901.

Hugh Duffy won the triple crown for Boston (NL) in 1894.

Capecards
  • Options
    The only reason I knew was that I was reading the Cobb biography written by Al Stump. It says on page 177 "He became the first man to win the Triple Crown, leading the league the same season in batting average, home runs and runs driven in." The book went on to name players who didn't win the triple crown, naming Ruth, DiMaggio, Musial, Mays and Aaron.
    That's strange. I always thought Vince DiMaggio would have won a triple crown.
  • Options
    I wonder if it was harder for Cross to get over 100 RBI's with no homers or for Enzo Hernandez to get only 12 RBI's with over 500 official AB's? I'm sure somebody has a breakdown of Enzo's production with RISP and such- I bet it was abyssmal.