Home Sports Talk
Options

Can A-Rod win the Triple Crown?

bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
So I open up the sports page this morning, and I see A-Rod leads the league in batting, homers and RBIs, the last two by a wide margin.

Anyone think he has a chance for the triple crown? I suppose the batting average would be the toughest one for him.

Bonus: who can name the only two Yankees to win the triple crown - name and year.

Capecards

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mantle 1956 for sure, Ruth 1927 ? I am taking my shot before googling it!
  • Options
    And I hate to say it but I think he is very capable of the Triple Crown this year, the BA will be tough but at the clip he is on, it could happen. Lets touch on this subject a bit more after April is through though. image
  • Options
    Lou Gehrig, 1934. Mickey Mantle, 1956?.
  • Options
    Sorry, but no Triple Crown. I do not see ARod hitting over .360 for a season and that is what it is going to take to win the batting crown. His April has been crazy, but he will come down to earth soon.
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    Eventually the pressure of the Yankees' pitching struggles will catch up to him at the plate and he'll start trying to do too much which will hurt his batting average. I can see him leading the league in HR and RBI, but not Batting Average.

(On the plus side, the way the Yankees are going this year he won't have to worry about being booed in the playoffs because NY probably won't make it there this year. image )
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    it's a long year. Numbers from April don't usually play out for the entire season. It would be interesting to see how close he could come. The yankees don't lack hitting, so AROD is well protected in the lineup and isnt getting pitched around. If Yanks pitiching continues the way its going the Triple crown will be the only thing to cheer about.
  • Options

<< <i>it's a long year. Numbers from April don't usually play out for the entire season. It would be interesting to see how close he could come. The yankees don't lack hitting, so AROD is well protected in the lineup and isnt getting pitched around. If Yanks pitiching continues the way its going the Triple crown will be the only thing to cheer about. >>

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if anyone in the AL is capable of Triple Crown numbers, it is Arod.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Google is your friend.

American League MLB Triple Crown Winners
    YEAR PLAYER HR RBI AVG
    1967 Carl Yastrzemski, BOS 44 121 .326
    1966 Frank Robinson, BAL 49 122 .316
    1956 Mickey Mantle, NY 52 130 .353
    1947 Ted Williams, BOS 32 114 .343
    1942 Ted Williams, BOS 36 137 .356
    1934 Lou Gehrig, NY 49 165 .363
    1933 Jimmie Foxx, PHI 48 163 .356
    1909 Ty Cobb, DET 9 115 .377
    1901 Nap Lajoie, PHI 14 125 .422

National League MLB Triple Crown Winners
    YEAR PLAYER HR RBI AVG
    1937 Joe Medwick, STL 31 154 .374
    1933 Chuck Klein, PHI 28 120 .368
    1925 Rogers Hornsby, STL 39 143 .403
    1922 Rogers Hornsby, STL 42 152 .401
    1912 Heinie Zimmerman, CHI 14 103 .372
    1894 Hugh Duffy, BOS 18 145 .438
    1878 Paul Hines, PRO 4 50 .358
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Sure he can, bxb. If he continues to blast the HRS the RBI's will automatically follow because Damon, Jeter, and Abreu get on base a lot. I agree with you about the average being the most difficult part of it. He has to get the singles and doubles too which he certainly is capable of.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I highly doubt his ability to lead the league in BA. It would be awesome if he did though. >>

as much as I am not a Yankee fan, I would enjoy watching a bona-fide Triple Crown chase!