Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin ID help wanted

A clerk at the Post Office said she got this coin from her dad and wanted to do something with it. Her dad traded cigarettes for it when he was in Turkey back in the 1960s. Anyway the clerk wants to drill a hole in it and wear it as a necklace. It has sentimental value to her. I can't imagine it would be worth much considering what it was traded for, but if it was worth something I know a hole would hurt the value. Anyway I would love to see if it is a real coin and if I can give her any information about it.

Comments

• Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    It appears to be a Justinian the Great, AE follis. Nikomedia Mint.
    Rare variant with NIK instead of NIKO. Worth about $125 in VF

Edited to add: 527-565 AD

• Options
    I wouldn't drill a hole in it. Talk to Mel Fishers group or some of the jewlery findings people, try lapadary suppliers as well . It should be possible to get a bezel that can be "shaped" to fit around the irregular edge of the coin. (I have seen them for Atocha cobs and ancients and irregularly shaped polished stones.) These are bezels that the coin fits into and then there tabs that fold down on the back to hold the coin in. If you knew the exact distance around the coin you can probably get a circular bezel of this type and a jeweler or a lapidary should be able to easily shape the bezel to fit the coin without damaging it.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised that noone was able to identify it at this point. It appears to be a U.S. 1 Cent from 1863. image

Hope it helps image
  • Options
    I don't think the clerk will want to drill a hole in it now that she knows it is an ancient coin. I think she was going to do so if it turned out to be a worthless replica or something like that.

It would hard to get a great hole like the one on my newly purchased 1863 cent! That looks to be made with a square nail. I haven't seen any square nails at the hardware store lately. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been there, got one. Pre-holed. At the recent Charlotte show, for twenty bucks. (Well-spent.)

I might be the Holey of Holeys, but I cringe to think of someone holing that piece. If it is worth that much to her sentimentally, she needs to spend the proper money to get it put in a nice bezel mount.

An antique hole in an antique coin is one thing, but a 21st-century hole in a 6th century coin is a travesty.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.