Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Got a $100 bill for a tip last night... givin' it away! (WINNER IN FIRST POST)

...of course, it is a Hong Kong $100 bill. image

One of the more unusual room service tips I've received- sold 'em a bottle of Veuve Clicquot. I also got an American bill with a picture of Abe Lincoln on it. I'll keep the fiver, you can have the hundred if the random number generator smiles on you.

Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, One Hundred Hong Kong Dollars. Dated July 1, 2003. Reddish, with a red lion's head on the front and a suspension bridge on the back. Watermark, metallic security strip, etc. Legends in English and Chinese. Interesting looking piece of currency.

I don't even know offhand what the foreign exchange rate is. What's a hundred HK dollars worth these days? Eight or ten bucks US? More? Less? Too lazy to look it up.

Anyway, post ONLY ONCE to this thread, and you're in the drawing for a hundred bucks!

FINAL UPDATE

Today, my only day off in forever, is Catch-Up-On-A-Million-Overdue-Shipments-And-Giveaways-Day, so it is also time to close this giveaway and get it shipped.

There are 78 replies to this thread. Consulting random.org, we need to generate one random integer in a range of 1-78.

The random.org generator (which has been kind to me lately since I just won two other people's giveaways), says our lucky winner is...

Post #44.

Now I have to count posts. Back in a sec...

(later)

Oh, cool. I just realized I don't have to count posts. I can go to "Customize", temporarily set my preferences to display 44 posts per thread, and see who's at the bottom of page one. (Bear this in mind, giveaway-givers- it works- I just counted to be sure).

Our winner is...

Kaelasdad! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    LM - About $12.75 these days.

Please throw my name in the hat! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    That's cool! We haven't had a giveaway here in a long time image

Thanks
  • Options
    Sounds interesting to me too. Please enter me image
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I'll bite image I've always wanted one of these but have been too cheap to get one. imageimage

Here's a pic from Ron Wise's site:
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Y'know.. I really wish the banknote forum here were more active in foreign stuff. I've got a ton, and lots of oddball stuff at that, but no one to share it with image

Oh well.

Ed.: Oops! Looks like I'm the first to violate LMs "one post" rule! image

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's cool! We haven't had a giveaway here in a long time image >>

Yeah, what, a whole hour and a half, maybe? image

Farthing- thanx for the info. 'Bout what I figured. I knew it wasn't worthless- tennish was my guess, so I was close.

Spoon- since you nailed it and posted a picture of exactly what it looks like (thanks), I'll let you slide on the "one post only" rule. image

By the way, what you posted is exactly what the winner will receive, except mine is serial number BA084777.

Gotta have three lucky sevens at the end, y'know!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    OK, I never post to these, but this is just too pretty and something I know absolutely nothing about. Please enter me.

Thanks!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    thanks for the chance
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could use it towards a detector.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool story - thanks for the chance.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    thankyou my lord
    toner loner
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Wowzer I wish I got cool tips like that. When Canadians come down to pick up freight they're always tipping, but usually no more than $10
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    That's pretty cool, my daughter (17 yrs. old) would totally get into that!! I try to pick up foreign currency/coins for her when I get a chance image
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the entry!
  • Options
    IN LIKE FLINT
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Count me in!

Nick
  • Options
    Hey, ten bucks is ten bucks! Its a nice shade of red too!
    Thanks for the chance!
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance Lord Minivan!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Where is gypsy handing out treasures? Do not trick me I will find treasure chest.
  • Options
    Thanks for the chance!
    SM
    ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

Announcing: The Numismatic Enquirer - Website
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ledzep87ledzep87 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    Man, that note looks cool! Better than what our currency looks like now. imageimage
    Great transaction with: Relaxn, Collectorcoins, OKCC
  • Options
    I'm in... thanks for chance
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chanceimage
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Cool, I'll take a crack at your tip, thanks for the chance.

Ray
  • Options
    Count me in pleaseimage
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

I'll take a try also...

Thanks
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    thanks for the chance
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice giveaway and it's not as scary as I thought over here.image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Count me in, thanks!
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Thanks
  • Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    Thanks!
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    I'm in for my grandaughter who has a nice little worl currency collection started.

Shep
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks LordM. My first time spending any time on the darkside. Anyway since I'm here, I just got slabbed an 1821 GB Crown, a Secundo - pcgs ms64. Don't know much about it, but if anyone's dying to have it for their set, let me know. I don't know too much about value. Would be interested to find out though. I saw that a pcgs ms65 went on HA recently for $5175 with the juice. At the same time, I got a 1919 Canadian 50cent piece, pcgs ms64 - also available. I saw on HA that some of these say "New Foundland". Can I assume that since this isn't mentioned on the slab, that it isn't a New Foundland piece?
    (I hope this post doesn't break any of the forum rules image )
    Thanks again! image
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Please enter me into your giveaway, thanks!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Count me in. Thanks!
  • Options
    thanks, count me in. cool sounding note.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    woot! Ya know.... in comparison to currency used throughout the world, the design and color of U.S. currency is downright drab and boring.
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Probably only worth 10c but it has very nice graphics, so count me in. Thank you Lord!!
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    My first time to the Dark Side

I'm going to give it one shot Oh Lord of the marcovan.

hopefully when I think about chinese- I'll have a hundred reasons why I did this..

• Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    What the heck, I can always take penicillin if I catch anything here right? right? If I win, its going to the kid, she will love it. Thanks, Russ
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Cool man, thanks for the chance, If I win, promise to donate it to the charity of your choice
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    keezkeez Posts: 842

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the chance and glad you got some rain there.

• Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Me too, me too.
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    You can throw my hat in the ring as well! Cool tip and and thanks for passing it along!
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options

• Options
    Heck, I'll give it a try since I'll be in SE Asia around the end of the year.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Enter me please

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set