------------
BOBBY ORR
THE BEST THERE WAS!
THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
------------

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing on day 1. Is this the first time they staggered the closing of lots? The auctions always closed in unison in the past, despite their claim the 30 minute rule is supposed to apply to each auction. I came back to my computer late in the evening (PDT) and all but one of my watched lots had closed. The lot that was still open wasn't one I really was interested in. I'll see if I win anything tonight. Probably not though.
  • Options
    Congrats Marc that philly lot was a strange 1 the graded cards were almost all big grades hof,er some hof rc,s the kelly and Taylor alone are worth well over 1000 but the raw cards all seemed to be low grade let us know how they look.

No wins for me i just missed on the 63 Unitas but lots of sales so its all good image
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    John- they've been doing it this way for over a year. Hopefully the other auction houses will fall in line.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Is anyone suprised at some of the early results?

$40 k for the Orr?

SGC 96 Russell Rc at only $12k with only a few hours to go?!?

$20 k for a '52 Topps Mays 9 seems low.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    2 major auctions ending within hours of each other- bound to hurt consignors a bit.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I haven't looked at everything, but some of the prices realized were shocking.

The Russell Rc at $21 k, I would have guessed $40-50k or more.

There was a PSA 9 Lajoie that sold for $120-140 k last year, this one closed at $88k.

The '51 Bowman Mantle I would have guessed a little higher, given the Branca Mantle, the PSA 2 Memory Lane Wagner and the Gretzky-McNall Wagner sales in the last few months.

And the Orr I guess everyone was high on.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Also, maybe it's psychological, but I just found the 20% buyers commission too much.

So I only went after one lot instead of 4 or 5.
    Capecards
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is anyone suprised at some of the early results?

$40 k for the Orr?

$20 k for a '52 Topps Mays 9 seems low. >>

The Orr was surprising but with all the questions about it seems that the big guns stayed away.
    Maybe the rumors about it are true.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is anyone suprised at some of the early results?

$40 k for the Orr?

$20 k for a '52 Topps Mays 9 seems low. >>

The Orr was surprising but with all the questions about it seems that the big guns stayed away.
    Maybe the rumors about it are true. >>

I have to ask-- what rumors?
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I picked up the '25 Gehrig Exhibit. image
    Wondo

• Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I think some buyers are a bit suspicious of certain auction houses. The recent revelations about Memory Lane, Mastronet's recent revelations about taking light creases out of cards and discussions on recent message boards about card doctoring and that certain doctors are a step ahead of the graders I think are spooking certain high-end buyers.
  • Options
    I was outbid on the 1960-1963 Fleer lot. I thought that was a nice lot.

Marc.

Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boo - I saw the rumor on the Orr in a couple of threads - alledgedly sheet cut. Who knows?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    The PSA 10 1961 Fleer Oscar Big O Robertson Rookie card which was at least in what I could see from the scans was awesome looking, went for a pretty penny. Amazing Card
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    It really shows the different kind of company we keep here vs the professionals at Net54. I can't be critical because I'm not sure if I am worthy to even view this thread thread, let alone post to it...

Mastro/REA wins at Net54

(For those curious, it's just the regulars showing their wins on the T206 Plank, 63 Rose PSA 9, 53 Pee Wee PSA 9 and a bunch of others)
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    20% juice is a tough pill to swallow for me. Yeah I know you can adjust your bidding to compensate for this fee, just like most do on shipping fee's but it's still too much to me. The higher fee's hurt consignors in the long run. Max fee should be 15% imho. Greed rules.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I was shocked at the 1954 Wilson Weiner set going for $40K. My set was sold two months ago to a fellow board member for much less than this amount and my set had better grades. Sometimes these sets just get out of control.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options

<< <i> I was shocked at the 1954 Wilson Weiner set going for $40K. >>

yeah- Shaner, tempts me to sell mine. (to you moneybags!)

I didn't come close to anything in this auction.

Like BXB said- 20%, and exuberant shipping, no thanks.

And what's with all their locks of hair offerings lately? You can't be serious! Should I call as a consigner tomorrow?......yeah, my grandpa was a barber in NYC in the 1940's....he saved bags of hair from all the famous folks! Who do ya want? DiMaggio? Sinatra? Marilyn Monroe? my Grandma cut her hair! lol
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Scotty,
    Name the place and time and I will bring all da' benjamins you can count. I won two items in Mastro for a buddy of mine, but I lost out as well.

SL
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases