Home Sports Talk
Options

Drug Probe Leads to Michael Vick Property, Ailing Dogs

stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
Drug Probe Leads to Michael Vick Property, Ailing Dogs
Quarterback's Relative Lives in House
AP Sports

SMITHFIELD, Va. (April 26) - Police conducting a drug investigation raided a house owned by Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and found dozens of dogs, some injured and emaciated. Police also found items associated with dog fighting.

State Police Sgt. D.S. Carr said Vick's relative, Davon Boddie, 26, lives in the house. Vick owns the property, but doesn't live there and wasn't present when a search warrant was executed in a drug investigation Wednesday night, Carr said.

Boddie was arrested outside a nightclub by Hampton police April 20 on charges of distribution of marijuana and possession with intent to distribute. The search warrant was executed by a multijurisdictional task force in a narcotics probe.

More than 60 dogs were found in three buildings. Some appeared malnourished, scarred and injured, officials said.

Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States, said the group has "heard troubling reports for some time that Michael Vick has been involved in organized dog fighting, and we fear that this investigation may validate that very disturbing allegation."

"We urge law enforcement to aggressively investigate this matter, and we further believe that anyone who harbors dogs for the purpose of fighting, deserves to be fully prosecuted for their crimes," Pacelle said in a statement. "Dog fighting is a barbaric activity that causes immense animal suffering and fosters violence in our communities. Our nation should have a zero tolerance policy for any form of staged animal fighting."

The Humane Society said dog fighting is illegal nationwide and a felony in 48 states, including both Virginia and Georgia.

The animal rights group PETA has asked Falcons owner Arthur Blank to suspend Vick pending the investigation and "to kick him off the team if it is found that dogs on Vick's property were neglected or used for fighting."

In a letter to Blank, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said it was the second time it was writing to the owner about one of his players and allegations of cruelty to animals. On Feb. 23, the organization wrote to him about defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux's felony charges in Georgia stemming from the fatal beating of a dog.

Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said the team still was gathering information on the report and had no immediate comment.

A spokeswoman for Vick's foundation declined comment. Joel Segal, the quarterback's agent, and Larry Woodward, a Virginia attorney who has worked with both Vick and his younger brother, Marcus, didn't immediately return telephone messages seeking comment.

The probe at Vick's property is the latest in a serious of embarrassing incidents for the Atlanta quarterback.

He was named in a sordid lawsuit that accused him of knowingly infecting a woman with a sexually transmitted disease and using the alias "Ron Mexico" while seeking treatment. The case was settled out of court.

Last season, Vick flashed an obscene hand gesture to heckling Atlanta fans as he walked off the field following a dismal loss to New Orleans. He was fined $10,000 by the NFL and donated another $10,000 to charity.

In January, security officers at Miami International Airport seized a water bottle from Vick that they said smelled of marijuana and had a hidden compartment. Authorities later said there were no drugs in the bottle, and Vick explained that he used the secret compartment to carry jewelry.

Just this week, Vick came under more criticism when he failed to show for a lobbying appearance on Capitol Hill in support of increased funding for after-school programs. He missed a connecting flight in Atlanta and didn't turn up for a later flight.

Vick and two other former Virginia Tech stars - Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall and former Buffalo Bills defensive end Bruce Smith - are scheduled to join Hokies football coach Frank Beamer and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in a predraft ceremony in New York on Saturday to honor the victims of the recent shooting at the Blacksburg school.

Other athletes have been linked to dog fighting.

The NBA's Qyntel Woods pleaded guilty in January 2005 to animal abuse and was sentenced to probation and community service, in addition to pledging $10,000 to the Oregon Humane Society. Former NFL player LeShon Johnson has twice run afoul of the law for ties to dogfighting.

Comments

• Options
    Once a thug always a thug - money cant change that - it only enhances it
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to think there's a special place in Hell for people who abuse dogs.

• Options
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    the only way he gets any lower is if he abuses children on the way to the dog fightin.

somethings gotta give with this guy, could be the next pacman, we'll see how the NFL handles this in comparison, should be interesting

not the guy you want leading your team with decisions like this
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Agreed! You gotta be one sick MF to want to mutilate a dog! image

I was never a Michael Vick fan but never disliked him. Now, I hope he falls flat on his face in the NFL.
  • Options

<< <i>Now, I hope he falls flat on his face in the NFL. >>

He is already well on his way
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Please, oh pretty please, make them regret trading Matt Schaub image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    I have seen videos of dog fighting that were seized in a police raid, it is a very ugly thing.
  • Options
    Vick was asked about this today and he replied, "No comment"
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disgusting, and whether or not Vick lived in the house or not if he was aware of this going on there then he is just as much to blame as his dirtbag relative. F--K HIM.
  • Options
    Just another sleazebag in the NFL. lots of em these days.

"He was named in a sordid lawsuit that accused him of knowingly infecting a woman with a sexually transmitted disease and using the alias "Ron Mexico"

Ron Mexico?? Dude, get a little more creative.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Volver said, once a thug, always a thug. Michael, Marcus, his dirtbag relative...all the same stuff.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Don't know who did the research but heard it on ESPN (so it must be true) that the percentage of crimes committed by NFL players is actually less than the percentage in the general population. Having said that its difficult to understand how these guys can't realize how much money they are costing themselves by surrounding themselves with thugs. Can't imagine any player would want a guy like this leading their team. I'd like to personally wretch on folks who participate in this kind of cruelty or condone it.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Don't know who did the research but heard it on ESPN (so it must be true) that the percentage of crimes committed by NFL players is actually less than the percentage in the general population. Having said that its difficult to understand how these guys can't realize how much money they are costing themselves by surrounding themselves with thugs. Can't imagine any player would want a guy like this leading their team. I'd like to personally wretch on folks who participate in this kind of cruelty or condone it. >>

The more interesting statistic would be how the % of crimes committed by NFL players stacks up against the % of the general population that is in their tax bracket.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

...and not a nappy headed ho in sight.