Home Metal Detecting
Options

Got a Merc today!

The water has receded some from the shoreline of the park where I found the 1851 large cent a few weeks ago, so I decided to hit the area some more. Dug some modern stuff and a couple of bullets,sinkers and of course pull tabs. While going right along the water's edge I looked down and saw a shiny little object about 1 inch deep in the water, swung the detector over it- yup, it was metal- picked it up and saw the reverse- an S mint Mercury dime, crossed my fingers (maybe an early date)- but not to be, just a 1941. Nice shape however with nearly split center band. Here it is my second silver of the year:

imageimage

Here's a shot of the bullets, the one mushroomed over looks to maybe have been 30 caliber or possibly 270 caliber. I think the other one is a bullet- maybe an old muzzle loader round?- it looks to be lead but has hollow center and may possibly have been copper plated at one time- hint of red/green patina. Any bullet experts?- if it is a bullet it would be large caliber- possibly 50 cal I would think.

Comments