Home Metal Detecting
Options

Saturday 4/21

I spent last Saturday with two arrowhead hunting buddies to see if we could recover some Civil War related artifacts. The site we visited has produced an officers belt plate, a heal plate, and a few brass articles which were all recovered from the surface while artifact hunting.
My research also pointed to this site being near a training area for the local militia before being sent to Camp Chase in Columbus.

My friends Danny and Bill are relatively new to detecting with Danny being a total novice. Bill had his Tesoro Golden Umax in tow and I let Danny swing my Tejon. After setting up the Tejon for Danny and getting my sovereign together, we headed out to the spot where the belt plate had been recovered. (see green X)

Having hunted with Danny and Bill for indian relics in the past, we decided to each carry 10 survey flags and mark our targets. Once all 30 targets were marked, we went from flag to flag to recover them so we could all see what was found at the same time. Thirty dug targets later we only had 12 actual metal targets! Bill and Danny were marking good hits that turned out to be green diorite rocks on the surface ( which are laying everywhere in great number). When I passed the Sovereign coil over them I would get some interference in the hum of the threshold, but no target signal. Both Tesoros gave solid signals on every one that they came across, but they never actually dug one under the surface, only the ones on top of the ground would register. image

That's Danny on the left and Bill on the right. Notice my red flags.

Bill down by the ditch. The tree line in the background is a local creek.

Danny has got blue flags everywhere! Most of them were the dreaded green rocks.

A flint utilized flake Bill found.

Here's the mid section of an arrowhead I found. The tip and base are long gone. image

I found this small flint blade which was all intact.

Top of an old green cork top bottle.

Here's one for Loditom! image

This was a sweet sounding signal...to bad it was so corroded it will likely never be identified. (Soaking in EVO as I type)

My best find of the day! A nice Hopewell point made of Flint Ridge flint approx. 2 inches long.

Here are most of the finds(Lots of junk!)

So for the most part this hunt was a bust, but there is lots of work ahead and I'm confident some good relics are gonna pop up here If I keep after it.

HH
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    John,

You dog! I wouldn't call it a bust. Nice day to be out, and you picked up some yummy flints too. image I call that a good day. Bet there's still some good stuff left there.

G. Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    What is the history of that area of land you're searching? I can picture a herd of buffalo roaming there as a band of Indians does their hunting. I can also see an encampment of soldiers there during the Civil War. That field definitely has some promise.
    Bob
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Bust?
    You're spoilt. image
  • Options

<< <i>What is the history of that area of land you're searching? I can picture a herd of buffalo roaming there as a band of Indians does their hunting. I can also see an encampment of soldiers there during the Civil War. That field definitely has some promise. >>

Lots of history in this area. This township was once a very popular hunting ground to historic Native Americans as well as prehistoric cultures.

Civil War artifacts are tough to find in the central Ohio area, but I know what has been found here in the past points to some training of some sort. I just need to work the area and find the sweet spot so to speak.

<< <i>You're spoilt. >>

Indeed!
    As nice a little point as it is, after you've found about 200 of the type they start to look like Zincolns.... Ok that may be stretching it but you get the idea.

There are some ultra rarities I'll likely never find but I keep hoping.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    There gotta be some nice stuff lying there waiting to be picked.
  • Options
    Very nice find's GR!!

I see your even getting into the marble finding tooimage

The last pic is that a clay marble or a musketball???

HH,Tom