Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

News Story: Ancient coins confiscated in Iran

Coins confiscated in Iran

"The coins, dating back to the Sassanid era (224-65), were confiscated from a smuggler of historical relics..."

Just in case anyone collects these image

Edit: 2nd link with almost the same info: 490 Historical Coins Confiscated in Isfahan
------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

<< <i>were confiscated from a smuggler of historical relics... >>

I wonder how many of these will end up being sold in the black market - this time by government officials?
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how many of these will end up being sold in the black market - this time by government officials? >>

More than likely a better question would be... How many HAVE been sold on the black market by gov't officials? I sure am glad I am not the person who got caught. I imagine some horrible experience awaits him pretty soon. The loss of body parts and/or life is a distinct possibility.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder how many of these will end up being sold in the black market - this time by government officials? >>

And the best part of that (from the government officials point of view) is after they sell them they just wait until they show up on the market again , demand their confiscation as "stolen cultural artifacts" and once they are confiscated and returned they can sell them again!. (Lather, rinse, repeat)