Home Sports Talk
Options

Greatest NFL Draft Ever??

JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
Got to be 1983..Look at this list:

A DRAFT FOR THE AGES
1983's first round included several distinguished performers. This summer Bruce Matthews becomes its fifth Hall of Famer (all five are in bold); Darrell Green in '08 could make six.

Team Player Pos. School NFL career

1. Colts John Elway* QB Stanford 3rd all-time leading passer; 2 Super Bowl titles

2. Rams Eric Dickerson RB SMU Single-season-record 2,105 yards rushing in '84

3. Seahawks Curt Warner RB Penn State 1,449 yards as rookie; played 6 seasons after '84 ACL tear

4. Broncos Chris Hinton T Northwestern 7 Pro Bowls in 13 seasons, including one at guard

5. Chargers Billy Ray Smith OLB Arkansas 26 1/2 sacks, 15 interceptions in 10 seasons

6. Bears Jimbo Covert T Pittsburgh 2-time Pro Bowler anchored Bears line for 8 seasons

7. Chiefs Todd Blackledge QB Penn State 38 INTs, 29 TDs in 46 games over 7 seasons

8. Eagles Michael Haddix RB Mississippi State 1,635-yard rusher ... over 8 seasons

9. Oilers Bruce Matthews G Southern Cal 14 Pro Bowls, 1 Super Bowl in 19 seasons

10. Giants Terry Kinard S Clemson 31 INTs, 1 Pro Bowl in 8 seasons

11. Packers Tim Lewis DB Pittsburgh 16 INTs in three seasons; neck injury ended career in '86

12. Bills Tony Hunter TE Notre Dame Traded to Rams in 1985; career-ending injury in '86

13. Lions James Jones RB Florida 10 seasons; fullback blocked for Billy Sims, Barry Sanders

14. Bills Jim Kelly QB Miami (Fla.) 4 Super Bowls in 11 NFL seasons after USFL stint

15. Patriots Tony Eason QB Illinois 3-year starter in 8 seasons; 1 Super Bowl

16. Falcons Mike Pitts DE Alabama 7 sacks, all in rookie season; 12 seasons with three teams

17. Cardinals Leonard Smith S McNeese State 14 INTs in 9 seasons

18. Bears Willie Gault WR Tennessee 6,635 yards, 44 TDs in 11 seasons; 1 Super Bowl ring

19. Vikings Joey Browner S Southern Cal 37 INTs, 6 Pro Bowls in 10 seasons

20. Chargers Gary Anderson RB Arkansas 10,846 total yards, 76 TDs in 3 USFL, 9 NFL seasons

21. Steelers Gabriel Rivera NT Texas Tech Paralyzed in auto accident during rookie season

22. Chargers Gill Byrd CB San Jose State 42 INTs, 2 Pro Bowls in 10 seasons

23. Cowboys Jim Jeffcoat DE Arizona State 102 1/2 sacks in 15 seasons; three Super Bowl rings

24. Jets Ken O'Brien QB California-Davis Played 10 seasons; led Jets to playoffs in 1985, '86

25. Bengals Dave Rimington C Nebraska College Hall of Famer played 7 seasons

26. Raiders Don Mosebar C Southern Cal 3-time Pro Bowler in 12 seasons

27. Dolphins Dan Marino QB Pittsburgh All-time passing leader with 61,361 yards, 420 TDs

28. Redskins Darrell Green CB Texas A&I** 54 INTs, 7 Pro Bowls in 20 seasons; HOF eligible in 2008

*Traded to Broncos for Chris Hinton

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Tough to argue with that, but with 4-6 inductees every year shouldn't the average over time be 4-6 HOFers per draft? Oddball undrafted free agents and pre-draft seniors notwithstanding.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Not bad indeed...you could also make a case for the following years - if not team.

1981 - HOF'ers
    Lawrence Taylor
    Ronnie Lott
    Mike Singletary
    Howie Long

Also drafted in 1981
    Freeman McNeil
    George Rogers
    Kenny Easly
    Mark May
    Hanford Dixon

or

Dave Casper
    Lynn Swann
    Jack Lambert
    John Stallworth
    Mike Webster

....the latter 4 were all drafted by the same team - Steelers of course

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought '83 was the best without even a discussion.
  • Options
    I like to discuss....that is why I mentioned another year
  • Options

<< <i>I like to discuss....that is why I mentioned another year >>

Ofcourse, I enjoy it myself. What I meant was IMO I think '83 was the best hands down, always open for discussion. image
  • Options
    I like to see 83 because I was a huge Curt Warner fan. Good looking rookie card, the 84 topps are my favorites

I was very sorry to see hi go down and his career basically end

joe
  • Options
    Pub - I agree...I think the 84 Topps is one of the best card designs of any sport.

That was a great draft
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    What wooooould the Lions of done if they had done something stupid and picked Dan Marino with their 1st round
    pick instead of doing the right thing and getting James Jones locked up to block for Barry Sander and Billy Sims..

Lions know how to pick em!

JS
  • Options
    Is the reason Marino was picked late that year because of som BS rumor about him and drugs? Im not sure but I thought I heard that at some point or another, prolly garbage but figured I would ask..
  • Options
    I think it had more to do with his terrible senior season at Pitt coupled with the many QB's available in the draft, but it was believed he was on drugs too.
  • Options
    I think the Patriots were the ones on drugs grabbing Eason!
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Eagles and Mike Haddix...LMAO. it never stops does it?

JS