Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Stewart Blay's Lincolns Ranked #11?

Looks like he took a coin out of his set. Perhaps an upgrade is coming?

Interestingly, Blay still has the highest GPA of all the listed sets. How could he rank #11 with the highest GPA? Perhaps something is afoul with the rankings?

imageimage
Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
ANA Member R-3147111

Comments

• Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Well, if the set was open, maybe we could tell what it is. With no disrespect to Stewart, it continues to baffle me why people list their sets in the registry and then close them out to the public. Especially those that are on top for good. Who knows, maybe it's to stir up excitement and suspense just like this????

And....I don't buy the old "I don't want dealers contacting me about upgrades or holding me hostage for a coin" thing anymore either...

• Options
    There are a few other sets out there I am told which can give Stewart a good challenge (i.e Gerry). Who knows what raw gems exist out there still raw. Just imagine if Stewart didn't list his set, or took it down. The number two set would be listed as number one, however, we would still know of Stewart's set. Based on that fact, I'm glad it is listd although closed. What I would like to see are the images, I don't care about his rating.

just my 2 cents
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    And....I don't buy the old "I don't want dealers contacting me about upgrades or holding me hostage for a coin" thing anymore either.

I agree. Most of these guys are constantly on the look out for upgrades. They should be happy if someone contacts them with an upgrade opportunity.
    Also, we may not know the exact grades, but they would have to be (as a whole) better than the set under them. When you're talking about a top, or near the top set, it's not too hard to tell roughly what grades are in the set.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And....I don't buy the old "I don't want dealers contacting me about upgrades or holding me hostage for a coin" thing anymore either...

Just cuz you don't buy it doesn't make it any less of a real concern. *shrug*
  • Options
    Don't none of you ladies worry your pretty lil' heads 'bout Stewart's ranking.

Before you know it, and I'm betting within the week, he'll be ranked #1 again. I've heard all this talk about Stew being unseated by Gerry or someone else as well as all the fabulous early scarce raw red mintmarked gems out there that have yet to be graded, but they never seem to surface. How strange....

Although I do think someone might well unseat the present #2 position this year.

Ira (who ought to know)
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Just got the Rare Coin Market Report from PCGS in the mail....and enjoyed reading the article about Stewart. Also noticed Legend's strong advertising in it as well...