Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Dave Cryer's buyer

Looks to be none other than Don Spence. I was checking my 69 set earlier and noticed that I moved to the number 1 spot with Spence right behind me with PSA 10's that are 1 pops that used to reside in Dave's set. It appears the cat is out of the bag

DJJ
Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com

Comments

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    wut does a #1 master set for '69 topps cost somebody ~???

i dont think dave had psa 8 wl mantle, but pretty much everything else however.

i would say $50k min, but that's just the weed talking...

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    I am thinking it was a higher than that. There were alot of 10's in that set along with some pretty high priced 9's. It was a pretty amazing set. Spence will run right by me as soon as he is updated.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    There are alot of my old cards in that set too Dave.
  • Options
    Bob

There are alot of your old cards in alot of peoples sets including mine. It would be fun to know in how many.

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    yea, he had a lot of my cards too...

at least wl variations he outbid me on that i was going to win.

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Don Spence--a shoo-in for the PSA Set Registry Hall of Fame this year but more than that, a man with possibly the best collection in the hobby--almost certainly the best collection on the PSA Set Registry.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Thanks for the update Stump, but I'm a bit confused why Don Spence's '69 set is only second when he should be #1 with at least at Dave Cryer's old GPA? Is it because he's still updating his set?

Yes, this will certainly add to Don's already impressive collection.

I wonder what Don plans to do with all of his extra cards in '68 and '69 plus other years?
  • Options
    Dan

I am thinking he has just not had the time yet to enter them all. Its a little time consuming and maybe he has some time constraints during the week. I am sure we will find out soon

• Options
    Dan

Just checked it again this morning and he has moved close and now instead of 9.00 he is at 9.10. He will will by me by the end of today I would think. Between what he had and Dave's set he will have a higher GPS than Dave had. I am thinking he will settle in somewhere around 9.28
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Don is the one I sold the Brock 9 too.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Don got a number of upgrades from me for his 1955 Bowman set. He's an impassioned collector -- and seems to really enjoy the cards. As part of my deal with him, I got my first three T-202s, and I really enjoyed hearing about some of his efforts working on that particular set over the past few years...

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Thanks Dave for the explanation.

Yes, Don does indeed have an amazing collection.
  • Options
    Don't forget that Dave's comment was "one person to buy all my graded sets" so I suspect that the rest will surface soon as well under the same name.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    Don Spence--a shoo-in for the PSA Set Registry Hall of Fame this year but more than that, a man with possibly the best collection in the hobby--almost certainly the best collection on the PSA Set Registry.

Dav I agree, but Dave Cryer should have already been in Registry HOF in my opinion. He had the best run of PSA sets from the 60's, a shame it probably won't happen for Dave now that he has sold them all off.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Doug,

I agree he had the best collection from the 60s and by no means am I disparaging his collection but just look at Spence's or Soloway's collection--in my opinion both are a notch above--in Don's case a notch and a half.

Jim
  • Options
    kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    Jim

I don't disagree at all with your comment, just never could figure out how Dave never won an award for one of his sets from that era considering he pretty much had the decade covered, a few exceptions.

Congrats on completing # 60.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    << Don Spence--a shoo-in for the PSA Set Registry Hall of Fame this year but more than that, a man with possibly the best collection in the hobby--almost certainly the best collection on the PSA Set Registry.>>

It's really starting to look that way - isn't it?
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I just checked Spence's collection again ...Amazing

Does anyone know more about him? He is quickly approching Luchios , Merkle and Fogel's levels
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Looks like Mr. Spence did not keep all of the cards. Memory Lane is selling a group of 1966 PSA 9's and one PSA 10. That 10 is a 1/1 and used to belong to Dave Cryer.