Home Sports Talk

Calvin Johnson - much wanted man in the draft

Calvin Johnson is considered by many teams to be the best player available in the draft, and the Redskins are smitten with him as well, sources said, mulling over options to trade up to get him (the team has shopped cornerback Shawn Springs to Detroit, which has the second overall pick, again in recent weeks).

and....

There's been speculation that Tampa Bay, which picks fourth, and Denver, which picks 21st, might try to move up to draft Calvin Johnson. However, a deal involving those teams and the Raiders seems highly unlikely for several reasons -- among them, Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden and Broncos coach Mike Shanahan each coached the Raiders and strained feelings remain.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would Detroit gamble on another receiver?
  • dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Would Detroit gamble on another receiver? >>

Possibly, but they need more than that... My hopes are that if they draft at the #2, it's because they're taking a QB. I'm not really high on either of them though. I would really love to see them trade down, get some additional picks and maybe select Willis or Landry. They'll probably F it up again though.
    No doubt they need a bunch of help,but if in fact they do select at # 2 and select Russell or Quinn hopefully for their sake (and their pick) they groom him from the sidelines for at least 1 season before they throw him to the wolves.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Bucs are a lock for Calvin...it must be nice to go straight from college to the super bowl

JS

<< <i>Bucs are a lock for Calvin...it must be nice to go straight from college to the super bowl

JS >>

image Kevin did you sleep last night or were you up all night sorting heritage?
  • joestalin are you from Florida? Just wondering. I really think that if Calvin Johnson goes to the Bucs (he will don't worry everyone) it may light a fire under Clayton and hopefully he'll be able to return to his rookie form.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Yep, Clayton needs to return to his rookie season form. Had the big catch against Cincy, but that was about it. The threat that Calvin would
    make would open up the driving lanes for Caddy, and if that happens, watch out 16-0!!!

BUCS BUCS BUCS BUCS

cmon everyone say it with me......

JS

<< <i>No doubt they need a bunch of help,but if in fact they do select at # 2 and select Russell or Quinn hopefully for their sake (and their pick) they groom him from the sidelines for at least 1 season before they throw him to the wolves. >>

If they drafted either of the QB's, they would definitely sit them for a year behind Kitna. That way, they could learn to throw interceptions and how to fumble to the opposing team before they come in and have their careers destroyed.

<< <i>Bucs are a lock for Calvin...it must be nice to go straight from college to the super bowl >>

Superbowl??? LOL. The likely scenario I've heard would be Detroit trading down with the Bucs for 4th & other picks. Might be the most exciting thing both teams do all year.
  • I'm guessing you live in the Tampa area then? I have a feeling Caddy will come back and if he doesn't then I guess I wasted $90 on ebay on his authentic jersey. He'll come back though, and once he does so will the rest of the offense. So do you think we'll move Rice? I kind of hope we do. What was it 2 or 3 sacks in the 8 games he actually played in last year, with a big contract and in his mid 30s. Are we the only Bucs fans on this board?
  • I've been thinking Calvin will end up in Tampa too. I want to see him succeed, but it'd be bittersweet if it was to help a division rival.

I haven't been following the news lately, but I hope the Falcons are doing all they can to get Landry.
  • Calvin Johnson is a pothead and who cares if Detroit takes another receiver - Johnson is hands down the highest player rated in the draft - you take him if he is there - you cannot worry about past transgressions.
    Just want to add that Calvin Johnson will be no savior to the YUCS. In fact nobody ever will.

Thanks
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want a high pick in this years draft, top talent is weak this year and whoever gets drafted in the top five will be overpaid and in the era of salary caps it could be a disaster. I'd try to trade down for picks, but it looks like a lot of teams are trying this with not much success. This draft could get interesting.
  • MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    ESPN on the "Mike and Mike" show this morning were saying that there is a dispute within the Raiders organization about who they were
    going to take #1 with one side wanting Demarcus Russell and the other side wanting Calvin Johnson. Al Davis was on one side and
    his grandson is on the other. Don't remember who favors who but it would seem that Al would have the upper hand since he is the
    owner but who can say for sure.

If the Raiders did take Calvin Johnson #1 it would throw a monkey wrench into a lot of draft scenarios especially for Detroit.

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the Raiders did take Calvin Johnson #1 it would throw a monkey wrench into a lot of draft scenarios especially for Detroit. >>

Hey -- maybe the Raiders could have Johnson work with Randy Moss and teach him the work ethic...

Nah.
    If the Raiders did take Calvin Johnson #1 it would throw a monkey wrench into a lot of draft scenarios especially for Detroit.

I suspect that is why the anticipated trade of McCown from Detroit to the Raiders is on hold. The Raiders have squat for QB's, but have apparently expressed interest in McCown. I suspect that if that trade goes down on draft day, it will be contingent on who the Raiders are going to draft.

I am just so sure Detroit is going to F this whole draft up again. Marinelli likes him some D lineman, and the talk is Gaines. Problem is, that is the Lions strongest position on D. They need to improve everywhere else before they focus on the Dline. But I suspect the M&M gang will do something stupid and take Gaines at 2.
  • Bucs are a lock for Calvin...it must be nice to go straight from college to the super bowl
    JS

yeah i heard they were gonna let bucs players pass out the drinks and wipe the sweat off of the teams actually playing in the suberbowl..thats really nice of the nfl that way the Bucs can still feel a little involved..
    life's a garden baby, dig it!
  • MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>If the Raiders did take Calvin Johnson #1 it would throw a monkey wrench into a lot of draft scenarios especially for Detroit.

I suspect that is why the anticipated trade of McCown from Detroit to the Raiders is on hold. The Raiders have squat for QB's, but have apparently expressed interest in McCown. I suspect that if that trade goes down on draft day, it will be contingent on who the Raiders are going to draft.

I am just so sure Detroit is going to F this whole draft up again. Marinelli likes him some D lineman, and the talk is Gaines. Problem is, that is the Lions strongest position on D. They need to improve everywhere else before they focus on the Dline. But I suspect the M&M gang will do something stupid and take Gaines at 2. >>

Whoever the Lions take is most likely going to be a bust and a top player that they passed on and could have taken will end up
    being a superstar on another team. Draft day disaster is the Lions way of doing business (and Matt Millen will probably STILL be
    with the team next year).

<< <i>Whoever the Lions take is most likely going to be a bust and a top player that they passed on and could have taken will end up
    being a superstar on another team. Draft day disaster is the Lions way of doing business (and Matt Millen will probably STILL be
    with the team next year). >>

Pretty much seems that way. I can't wait til someone moves this team. Maybe then we'll get an expansion team that's worth a crap.