Home Metal Detecting

thought I had a half dime

Well I did sort of,turned out to be canadian 5 cents 1905. Also found the 42s less than 10 feet away.

Comments

• Good finds.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice!!
  • Nice fishscale!
    I've dug one of those myself but yours is much earlier.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • marymmarym Posts: 713
    Those are both very nice finds, congrats! Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Very nice finds. Both coins are in great shape.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Very nice finds!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice fishscale... you DID get a half dime!

I have three or four Canadian large cents and one much more modern silver dime, but no silver 5-cent pieces yet. Really, considering how deep in the Deep South I am, it is surprising that I have found those Canadian large cents.

The last time I thought I had dug another half dime, it turned out to be a plain metal slug. Believe me, I searched every millimeter of the edge for a trace of reeding, but it was just a slug. I'm not used to finding such small, silvery slugs.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • fishscale? is that a reference to the size?
  • i dug one of those about 2 years ago. i was digging in total darkness and though for sure it was a half dime. i don't see many of those dug around here, so i guess its just as cool as a half dime.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>fishscale? is that a reference to the size? >>

Yes. Just a common nickname for those. The same nickname was occasionally applied to the US silver three-cent pieces, too, I believe.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.