Home Sports Talk
Options

NYC bans metal bats

kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
How ridiculous

NEW YORK -- Metal bats will be banned in high school baseball starting this September in the nation's largest school system after the City Council on Monday overrode a mayoral veto of the bill.

The measure outlaws metal bats under the theory that they produce harder and faster hits, risking injury to young players who have less time to react. Opponents, who include Little League Baseball and sporting goods makers, say there is no evidence metal bats are more dangerous.

Youth leagues and lawmakers are proposing similar bans in other areas, including New Jersey, where a 12-year-old boy went into cardiac arrest and suffered serious injuries after a batted ball struck him in the chest.

In New York City, Mayor Michael Bloomberg vetoed the bat ban earlier this month, saying the issue should be left up to those who run the youth leagues, not the government. But the City Council overwhelmingly knocked down the veto by a vote of 41-4.

"What we're trying to do is reduce risk," said Councilmember James Oddo, the sponsor of the bill.

Opponents argue that there is no scientific evidence proving metal bats pose a greater danger than wooden bats, and that the anti-metal movement relies on emotional anecdotes over concrete data. Some have said they plan to challenge the matter in court.

In 2005, an American Legion Baseball study found no substantial scientific proof to support the argument that wooden bats are safer than metal bats.
Travis

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NYC made the bat the culprit, when they really should have targeted the true problem: the ball. Baseballs are too hard. Stubbed fingers, broken bones, contusions, lacerations, and even death can result from contact with the ball. NYC should lead the nation and require all baseballs to be replaced with whiffle balls. Injury rates will plummet. Plus, they will even the playing field (pun intended), allowing inferior athletes to have superior curve balls that used to take time and practice to develop.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Opponents argue that there is no scientific evidence proving metal bats pose a greater danger than wooden bats, and that the anti-metal movement relies on emotional anecdotes over concrete data. Some have said they plan to challenge the matter in court. >>

Just to clarify, this is New York CITY, not New York State. The upstate folks are a little more sensible than this for the most part.

But what opponents? Besides the metal bat industry?

Now, just wait until some kid gets nailed by broken wood bat shrapnel and gets seriously injured.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I am a true believer that metal bats drive the ball much harder than wooden bats do. I still cannot understand why college uses metal bats, they should play like the pro's do.

Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Opponents argue that there is no scientific evidence proving metal bats pose a greater danger than wooden bats, and that the anti-metal movement relies on emotional anecdotes over concrete data. Some have said they plan to challenge the matter in court. >>

Just to clarify, this is New York CITY, not New York State. The upstate folks are a little more sensible than this for the most part.

But what opponents? Besides the metal bat industry?

Now, just wait until some kid gets nailed by broken wood bat shrapnel and gets seriously injured. >>

whiffle ball bats it will be, MAKE IT SO!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I have absolutely no problem with them banning metal or anything else that isnt wood.

Injury factor aside ( which I certainly believe occurs from the use of metal bats ) it might just help young hitters become better hitters by using wood bats.

If the ultimate goal is to reach the majors then why not learn with the equipment you would be required to use once you get there.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    metal bats last longer... how expensive is it going to be to use wooden bats? just curious the shelf life.. MLB players go through them like candy. You can still hit a ball damn hard with a wooden bat image
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "You can still hit a ball damn hard with a wooden bat."

/////////////////////////////////////////////

Old guys can.

But, little-league players get the thrill of belting blasters
    with the metal bats.

College-ball also gets a boost in the excitement factor;
    fly-outs vs. homers.

Baseball has been dangerous since I played GY and LL
    in the 1950s and 60s. "Look Alive or Get Beaned," was
    preached by every adult I ever played for; trying to make
    the unsafe appear safe always makes the actors look silly.

I was watching 10-year olds playing soccer, today. Cripes,
    their parents have them suited-out with more protective
    gear than pro-footbal players used to wear.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Injury factor aside ( which I certainly believe occurs from the use of metal bats ) it might just help young hitters become better hitters by using wood bats. >>

This is a good argument. On the other hand a good hitter is a good hitter whether he uses metal or wood.

It's a money issue. A $100 metal bat will last forever. A wood bat would last three games tops (at $20 or $25 apiece).
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Baseball has been dangerous since I played GY and LL
    in the 1950s and 60s. "Look Alive or Get Beaned," was
    preached by every adult I ever played for; trying to make
    the unsafe appear safe always makes the actors look silly. >>

Heck, they should have started using bean bags for baseballs after Ray Chapman was killed by a beaning in 1920.
  • Options
    I never really liked the idea of using metal bats. Maybe it's the sound when the ball is hit, wood is traditional so it seems like the way to go. Now plastic whiffle bats, those are great too!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've hit baseballs with both metal and wooden bats through the years, and I don't think there's any question that a ball flies off a metal bat with alot more velocity than it does off a wooden bat. Most significantly, though, to me as a hitter at least, was that the "sweet" spot on a metal bat is a lot bigger on a metal bat, and to that point I agree with bri that kids will become better, more disciplined hitters using wooden bats to hit. The only drawback to using wooden bats, IMO, is the cost, as teams will go through a lot more wooden bats than metal ones, obviously.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Grote,

That was exactly my point regarding the use of wooden bats.

Much like the metal woods in golf today, the sweetspot is MUCH bigger. Using a wood bat would indeed teach young hitters where contact should be made on the bat without the crutch provided by the metal/composite bats.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Injury factor aside ( which I certainly believe occurs from the use of metal bats ) it might just help young hitters become better hitters by using wood bats. >>

This is a good argument. On the other hand a good hitter is a good hitter whether he uses metal or wood.

It's a money issue. A $100 metal bat will last forever. A wood bat would last three games tops (at $20 or $25 apiece). >>

OK, maybe that's what you paid for a metal bat back in the day, but the bats that the HS kids are using today cost between $250 and $375!! I'm not in favor of going with wood bats, but there are some very cool Mizuno wood bats out there. I force my players to swing wood in BP and use metal in games.
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options

This topic has disturbed me for alongtime now. With a father being a highschool coach for 30 yrs and being in the michigan coaches hof we both agree metal is just SCARY!!!!! Especially before they made us shrink down to 2 and 5/8 in barrell i think. It wasnt such a deal back in the day as the technology wasnt as good and a majority of kids were normal size lol! Now the bats are juiced. I use to use wood because it wasnt as hot and my liners would fall in instead of reaching the outfield plus it was a big plus in bunting! For price our boys use there new bats or game bats and they become bp bats so 200 bucks a year for a bat and 200 bucks for 6 bats it'll be about the same imo your not gonna break to many as most boys are only throwin around 85.

just my 2 cents
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Anyone who argues that switching from metal to wood will make the kids safe is a fool. Anyone who argues that players can't hit the ball harder (or hit balls hard more frequently) with metal bats is a bigger fool who has not played baseball or softball since the early nineties.

The 2 5/8 diameter and -3 differential of length to ounces has made the college game watchable again.

Most (typically Easton/DeMarini/etc.. supported) studies that fail to show a substantial difference in exit speed of the baseball from wood to metal are probably flawed. They often compare the results at equal bat speeds or from a motionless bat. I'm not sure what the current rules are but the metal bats would have much larger length to weight differentials and allow the players far greater bat speed. This is the primary driver in exit speed of the baseball. The larger sweet spot on a metal bat adds to the mix as well. Balls are hit harder with a much larger frequency with the metal bats.

My whole point is that there is a lot more to it than simply switching to wood. Metal bat manufacturers have been somewhat irresponsible in my opinion. They could have been pushing for smaller differentials for 10 years now and protected their market. Now they are losing battles to wood in many locations. My state (MN) has switched to wood for all adult amature baseball. There is currently a heated arguement at the high school level and I think eventually the wood bat lovers will prevail. Unless the bat manufacturers really step up with some solutions an proposals.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I play in a wood bat league in California (we switched from metal to wood five years ago), and I can say that it's much more fun to play with wood bats. No more cheap, check swing hits, and that annoying ping sound is gone, replaced by the sweet crack of the bat! Costs are higher, but the maple wood bats today are much better than the ash bats, and last far longer. Bamboo bats have just arrived on the scene, but as of yet haven't reached widespread acceptance.
  • Options
    Composite bats have incredible pop to them, I just picked up my Mikan Freak and cannot wait for softball season.....and my Manny imitation. image
  • Options
    Here's an analogy that was on an SAT:
    softball is to baseball as simple arithmetic is to
    a) advanced algebra
    b) calculus
    c) plane geometry
    d) all of the above
  • Options

<< <i>Here's an analogy that was on an SAT:
    softball is to baseball as simple arithmetic is to
    a) advanced algebra
    b) calculus
    c) plane geometry
    d) all of the above
    image >>

I will answer D on that one BUT it is fun though!
  • Options
    TheGuyTheGuy Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Well, the advantage of metal bats is that they don't break, and helps to drive the ball further into the outfield.

The wood bats tend to wear out over time, and break after several uses.

Metal bats are dangerous, if folks are not being too careful with them, and if used for the wrong purposes. Switching from metal to wood doesn't sit well with me, because not much can come out of it.
    "Sometimes we don't know just what to do when adversity takes over." -- Cannonball Adderley
  • Options
    So, how do you feel about metal bats being used during an electrical storm?
  • Options

<< <i>So, how do you feel about metal bats being used during an electrical storm? >>

• Options
    TheGuyTheGuy Posts: 68 ✭✭

<< <i>So, how do you feel about metal bats being used during an electrical storm? >>

That would be a shocker, since metal does conduct electricity but the chance of that happening is small. image
    "Sometimes we don't know just what to do when adversity takes over." -- Cannonball Adderley