Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Goodby and thank you to all....

Last night I had 16 items sell on eBay that completed the sale of my baseball card collection; a collection I started over 50 years ago….

I got my first cards in the late 40’s and completed my first set in 1951 (Topps Red and Blue Backs). Since then I have amassed at least one Topps baseball set for EVERY year since; I was fortunate in that I never throw anything away and had a mother from whom I got that habit. Late last year I decided it was time to stop collecting and just “having” the cards had no allure for me. Soooo, I decided to sell my collection.

As luck would have it I found one person who wanted to purchase all of my raw sets and another who wanted to purchase all of my graded sets and the deals were done. In cleaning up I found the 16 items mentioned at the beginning.

The only thing I did not sell were my 1952’s; I have over 1,200 raw cards that comprise two complete sets and many duplicates. The only graded cards are five Mantles. All are in storage and will most likely be left to my children.

I now move on to other things in my retirement but wanted to say good buy to the many people who kept this hobby alive for me. As my children grew up and started families of their own and eBay killed the local shows I so enjoyed, the collecting communities like this one allowed me to continue to enjoy this hobby. Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

Dave Cryer (aka VMFA_VET)

Comments

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    I for one will certainly miss your knowledge & passion for cards that you've contributed here. Good luck in whatever you do and enjoy yourself.

Take care,
    Dave S.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Please do not leave forever. Give us some updates on what is happening with youself. Good luck in all that you do from now on.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Dave!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Dave,

My very best--you had a wonderful collection.

Amazing bthat you found one buyer for all your graded sets--will be watching closely for the identity.

Jim
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Good luck in life after collecting! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck Dave with your future endeavors. I enjoyed viewing your 1969 set particularly. You amassed an amazing collection. You'll be missed on here.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Dave in whatever your future holds. Thank you for spending a bunch of your time talking with me on our 1963 Topps deal. It was a real pleasure actually speaking with another collector.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Be good. Thanks for sharing your knowledge in collecting with us. May your new path lead you to continued happiness.

My best,
    Shane Leonard
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    A farewell to one of the good guys. Enjoy life !
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Best of luck Dave! Many healthy and happy years to you and yours!!!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Dave- Congrats and best wishes. Please visit from time to time.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Dave: Best wishes on whatever is next....

Eric
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Dave

Good luck to you in the future you are and will remain a great role model for our hobby.

Dave Jacobs
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    <<As luck would have it I found one person who wanted to purchase all of my raw sets and another who wanted to purchase all of my graded sets and the deals were done. In cleaning up I found the 16 items mentioned at the beginning.>>

First off, you will be certainly missed and you are certainly one of the class acts of the hobby!

Secondly, any chance that person who bought all of the graded sets is a dealer who may break up the sets?

I wish you well!

Dan
  • Options
    kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    Dave:

Best of wishes. Thanks for helping me out with my 70 set. You are a great asset to the collecting community.

You created a collection to be proud of, without a doubt the finest collection of 60's sets without a doubt.

Find it hard to believe you're not in the CU Hall of fame.

Thanks for everything.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    Dave, I don't even know you and a small tear went down my cheek when I read about you!

As someone who "started back" into collecting in 1975, I feel like a little kid compared to you!

Obviously, it would seem everyone on here has a great respect for you and your knowledge,
    not to even mention your friendship!

I will wish you all the best in your retirement and hope you keep in touch with all that you
    have already helped and touched on here!

GOOD LUCK in all your do!

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    cheers!

glad to see you won't be beating me on any '69 topps WL variations anymore!!!!

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Best of luck, Dave.

Let me guess, Bill Gates?
    Capecards
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Best of luck!

Also a wonderful choice of cards to leave your heirs.

come back from time to time

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    God Speed!!!

enjoy the retirement!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Dave,

You helped me progress in more than one set. Thank you for that and best wishes for all of your future endeavors.

May the wind always be at your back, the sun always shine upon your face, the rain always fall on your crops and you always find rest at night.

Mike
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Dave,

Enjoy yourself.
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    As a fellow retiree I wish you good health and continued sucess in what ever you endeavor to do. Eventually all of us at one point or another will pass our sets on to family members or other collectors and I hope when that day comes I will be able to do it on my own terms as you quite elegantly have done.
    Take care;
    Art