Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

FS Jefferson's

I know nothing about Jefferson nickles. So in an effort to smart-up, I'm asking this.
Why do I see some nickles selling as 5 full steps, and others selling as 6 full steps?
And what does it take to get the FS grade from PCGS?
I ask this question because I plan to build a couple registry mint sets. The first is the 1969 set, but after looking at the pops, I don't think I need to worry about FS with this set.
But other years that have FS Jeffs will require knowing EXACTLY what it takes to make one a FS. Things like, are hits allowed on the steps would be helpfull.. image
Dan

Comments

• Options
    5 steps is the minimum from PCGS. As for standards, it partially depends on the date. For example, borderline pieces from the late 1970's "P" mint may get a FS, but a 40D or 41D that looks the same may not get it (because the 76-79P are not common in FS). They do allow a minor hit or two, but it can't be deep enough as to completely break the flow of the steps. The top 5 steps must go all the way across with no blurs between them. Also, make sure the fifth step is clear right under the third pillar from the left.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize you have asked a simple question about steps but here's a coin that doesn't need to have full steps. And that it doesn't really matter that there's a little ding on the cheek. What does matter, and it's quite impressive, is the overall strike. LOL, it doesn't even matter what it would grade!
    imageimage

Happy hunting, Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 FS-----the top five steps must be fully struck showing complete step-lines from side to side with no bridges or pre/post strike contact marks or flaws.

6 FS-----ditto except that it expands to all six steps.

the primary point of weakness in strike ocurrs at steps five and six under the third pillar(counting from the viewers left), a point which coincides with the deepest area of the obverse die and, thus, suffers from metal flow. often times you can see a flat area at Jefferson's ear/ hair and know the steps are incomplete without even looking at the reverse. always look, though, because a phenomenon with many of the 1950's era coins is that the the step area of the die is relatively wear free while the rest of both dies wears from striking coins. this means that on occasion an otherwise LDS coin will have crisp step detail. MS66FS steps on an MS63-63 coin.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>5 FS-----the top five steps must be fully struck showing complete step-lines from side to side with no bridges or pre/post strike contact marks or flaws.

6 FS-----ditto except that it expands to all six steps.

the primary point of weakness in strike ocurrs at steps five and six under the third pillar(counting from the viewers left), a point which coincides with the deepest area of the obverse die and, thus, suffers from metal flow. often times you can see a flat area at Jefferson's ear/ hair and know the steps are incomplete without even looking at the reverse. always look, though, because a phenomenon with many of the 1950's era coins is that the the step area of the die is relatively wear free while the rest of both dies wears from striking coins. this means that on occasion an otherwise LDS coin will have crisp step detail. MS66FS steps on an MS63-63 coin. >>

Interesting point Al! I'll try to post some pics later to concur but I need to catch up with some yard work.

Later, Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I want to thank everyone for the advice and pointers given in this thread. image
    Dan
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    My advice to someone new to "full steps" is to buy the book! For a starter, you might pick up "The Jefferson Nickel Analyst", by Bernard Nagengast. With the book and looking at a bunch of nickels, you will have a pretty good handle on the basics. After you've done this, you can ask these other rookies for their advice! Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Mike
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"The Jefferson Nickel Analyst", by Bernard Nagengast. >>

Thanks for the advice, Books are a great place to get started learning about a series. I will look for the one you mentioned.
    Dan
  • Options
    PCGS only gives FS designation. ANACS gives 5, 5.5, and 6. NGC can see 5FS or 6FS. It's all in the eye of the slabbers glass.
    OLDER IS BETTER