Home Sports Talk
Options

If ARod decides he wants to opt out of his contract....

yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
will the MLB Players Association stop him??? Yes, they allowed JD Drew but they also knew Drew would get more money. No one is going to pay ARod the 25 million per season he is getting now. I would think that MLB Players Association wouldn't want to set that precident...that is opting out for a contract only to sign for less money.

Any opinions????

Comments

• Options
    How do we know he won't be offered $25 million/year? Wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    Is he allowed to negotiate a contract without opting out first? I can't see how that would be allowed but I may be wrong.

Edited to add....would ANYONE give a 25 Million dollar/year contract these days? Even for ARod??? Don't forget, Yanks are only paying about half that amount. I just dont see anyone touching the 20 million/year mark...maybe 18-20.
  • Options
    You're right, he won't be able to negotiate during the season but I imagine Boras will have a pretty good idea of what Arod's market value will be by season's end. And I dunno, I could see someone giving him $25+ mil/year.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    With the anemic offense the Angels have I'd take AROD in a heartbeat! All mgmt keeps saying is we have a great farm system. Dammit I wan't a great MLB team.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>With the anemic offense the Angels have I'd take AROD in a heartbeat! All mgmt keeps saying is we have a great farm system. Dammit I wan't a great MLB team. >>

But would you want your Angels to pay 25 Million+ for him?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is there a need to pay 25 million dollars a year? I'd be seeking highest guaranteed total value over the life of the contract. Better to negotiate now at 32 than at 34 or 35 when market value will be lower just factoring age alone.
  • Options
    who would pay that kind of money? Mets? maybe....
    let's see how the rest of season plays out... who knows, maybe tommorow he blows out is knee and is done for the season. Time will tell how much he is worth. I dont think he opts out of his contract if he has a great year, the yanks make the playoffs/and or world series, and he has a great post season. He's certainly looking confident...90% of the game is mental, looks like he has his head screwed on right this year.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    With Boras as his agent he will opt out.

And if the tag is 25 mil I think the Angels can swallow it as they are getting very young. I don't expect Colon to resign when his deal is up. Cabrera will be gone when his contract is up. Escobar will most likely be gone when his contract is up. They will have Vlad and a bunch of guys early in their MLB service where mgmt and or arbitration will decide. If they front load the contract I see a fit.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    What if the Reds sent Dunn and his Dave Kingman swing to the Yanks for A-rod and 5 Mil? I'd do that.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    I couldn't see the Mets doing it--With Wright at third and Reyes at short. The Cubs on the other hand I could see doing it. Imagine an infield of Lee, Arod at short and Ramirez at third.

Cubs are probably the only team other than the Yankees that would even think about giving Arod that much...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Dare I say it.......how about the Detroit Tigers!? image

That would certainly serve up notice for the rest of the group
    in that division!

Tony
  • Options
    I just dont see it...I really dont...I dont see anyone paying ARod more than 18-20 million...maybe a chance up to 22 million but I doubt it. And a good bet you wouldnt see a deal for more than 4 years which he has left on this contract I believe. I think even Boras is smart enough to know that 25 million is the max he is going to get.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    With all the owners flush with cash over recent TV deals, revenue sharing and attendence up I can't see him not opting. If he sets records this year and/or wins the series he WILL opt out. Every talking head on TV is also saying the word is he is opting out.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Aren't the Rangers really the big winners if he opts out? I'm guessing George will flip flop and extend him, thus insuring the discount on the best player on his team.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    You know, guys, not too long ago you could've bought a whole TEAM for $25 million! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars