Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Remember the good old days on the boards?

Please post any highlights or low lights over the years on the registry boards.

It used to be like the buy and sell board with lots of action and fighting. In my opinion the boards have been forever changed since PCGS got lost in their grading standards a couple of years ago. There is virtually no Modern market from 1960-present compared to the old days.

Comments

• Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    This is a recycled thread so as to not clutter up the boards. This is such a Wheelin' and Dealin' category i did not want to plug the boards up!image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait a minute Mark- these are not your coins - are you sure you have all of your approvals in order before offering out this particular collection? imageimage

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Okay Mitch, I do indeed have my approvals. My Son and his College fund. I asked him if he wanted his money invested in a mutual fund or to take his chances with this set and he decided to sell it. He probably figures i would sell it and not give him the money once he forgets about it or possibly he is savy enough to figure out the investment upside. What would you do?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only about seven years to grow it and it will need to grow just like he will.
    Good luck!!!!image
  • Options
    Mark: I would personally do what you are doing as well. And, I say that for a number of reasons including the fact that your son wants you to. I have also followed my son's (age 15) desires on what coins he wants to sell and not sell. Recently he decided to sell a coin for about $1,000 that he got lucky in submitting and had less than $50 into it. Less than 30 days later, the coin resold for nearly $4,000. Lesson learned and it was a good lesson for him to learn. And, of course, there have beeen a few coins he has sold that are worth less now as well.

You simply can't learn in school what you can learn by having to make the decision to sell off or not to sell off an asset and follow the consequences of that decision in the months and years ahead. That is great experience for youngsters to obtain I believe.

Good luck with the sale. Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch, where have you been! Last I saw, you were a PCGS blue box salesman. It's funny to see what we have turned into over the years. I have lowered myself to mainly an NGC Dealer as other old schoolers have as well. Some have become marble salesmen and many various niches. I think you are selling bullion to augment your torid blue box business, right? Where will this business head going forward. Does anyone have an idea? This registry board is the most boring place alive. Remember the good old days when we cared and fought. Have we grown up or become less competitive or just concentrated our emotions elsewhere? Has PCGS turned into the politboro and hence blocked freedom of speech etc?
  • Options
    Just where have all the old Timers gone?image
    Mike--(2001 #1 PCGS MS Memorial Lincoln Registry Set Owner & 2007 #13 MS Memorial Lincoln Set Owner. Both Retired)
  • Options
    Mark: The Blue box business ended horribly....

My wife made it VERY clear that the boxes were cluttering up the house and she wasn't happy. I have learned to NEVER make your wife unhappy (at least on the little stuff) - it has ways of backfiring on you. So, I rented 2 large trash dumpsters for close to $150 fee and threw them all out - my inventory went from whatever high level "market value" it had one day to negative $150 the next. And, many of them weren't even modern boxes either image

Mike - how are you my friend?

Wondercoin

P.S. I plan to address the rest of your question Mark later - the dinner bell is ringing.
  • Options
    I am still married and breathing. Thanks for asking.
    Mike--(2001 #1 PCGS MS Memorial Lincoln Registry Set Owner & 2007 #13 MS Memorial Lincoln Set Owner. Both Retired)
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    I asked him if he wanted his money invested in a mutual fund or to take his chances with this set and he decided to sell it.

I have to say...that decision is correct 99.9% of the time...especially with coins. I do not collect coins as an investment...I collect them for the thrill of the hunt...and simply the hobby.

My daughter is 18 months old and my wife and I met with our broker about 3 months ago to get her 529 (college fund) off the ground. Even with a handsome lump sum down, it is very "eye-opening" when you learn just HOW MUCH money needs to be put away on a monthly basis NOW, in order to provide for that education by the time she reaches college.

Sure makes me take a hard look at how much money I spend on coins on a monthly basis!
  • Options
    Ah yes, I do remember the good old days - good fights and slams. Me picking on Russ for averaging 70 posts/day, Redcents under-medicated.................any other highlights?
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ah yes, I do remember the good old days - good fights and slams. Me picking on Russ for averaging 70 posts/day, Redcents under-medicated.................any other highlights? >>

I kinda remember Wondercoin in a duel with someone regarding the outragous price of some of the Statehood Quarters. That had me laughing pretty hard for a while.

Also the Pepperdoodle post where they were going back and forth...that was a fun read.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where will this business head going forward. Does anyone have an idea? This registry board is the most boring place alive. Remember the good old days when we cared and fought. Have we grown up or become less competitive or just concentrated our emotions elsewhere? Has PCGS turned into the politboro and hence blocked freedom of speech etc?

What more is there with the Registries and this forum? People sit back and wait for a pop top to pop up and there goes their money. Yeah, everybody calls that the coin hobby of today. By the way, has anybody noticed how Jefferson Gems collection only sold 45 out of the 80 coins in Baltimore last month? And only 2 registry competitors, that I've noticed, upgraded their collections with 2-3 coins together. Most of the pop tops went for good money, not that they were all deserving quality coins but who got them all? On another note, Heritage will have 13 upgrades for me, that'll add 15 points to my GPA, for sale in St Louis in a couple of weeks for an estimated $56,000 but it will only move me up one notch in the registry. Does anybody think I should go for it? Any encouragement will be greatly appreciated! image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that some of us are still grabbing a coin now and them. I got a couple of the GW dollars last week. But the 1848-O half in the type set was better. And not all of the coins people are putting in the registery are TOP POP's.

And the quarters are still a mystery.image
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark,

This forum was much different in the earlier days.

There was more open and honest opinions, exchanges between members. I always looked forward to Mitchs' posts for those eluding modern coins. As I recall he and High Desert would start some banter that would end up being a flavor of the week and stir some great debates.

Even a little poking at PCGS on topics as their standards in motion was always understood by the powers that be, that graders are human and grading in itself is an art demanding great skill, science not included image We all know everyone has an off day now and then.

As the rate of members grew, a few of the early posters withdrew, most likely moving on to other interests. I think some newer members perceived posts like the grading one mentioned above, meant it was ok to bash PCGS any where any time. Not all, but some threads took on a different role and IMO forced PCGS to stand up for themselves against those that were being too harsh. Some were warned with the Bermuda vacation, others needed a firmer hand and were steered in another direction, permanently. With the fear of banishment to exile island and the rules having to be posted at the top of this forum is just a sign of the times.

p.s. Is the grass any greener on the other side with NGC? Once there most likely not image Glad to have you back image
  • Options
    Ken: OK - I'll try to get you to enjoy another post of mine. Here goes:

At exactly three minutes and four seconds after 2A.M.,
    on the 6th of May this year, the time and date will be
    02:03:04 05/06/07. This will not happen again until the year 3007.

Informative?

Wondercoin image
  • Options
    And only 2 registry competitors, that I've noticed, upgraded their collections with 2-3 coins together. Most of the pop tops went for good money, not that they were all deserving quality coins but who got them all?

This simply tells me that there are a few UNREGISTERED players now building top flight sets of Jeffs. Especially because most of the low pop coins went for very strong money in that last auction. These players obviously do not want to be known at this time. Still, I am not sure this proves anything concerning registry interest?

Wondercoin
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    The reg. forum was an integral part of the fun of owning and posting reg. sets. Without an active reg. forum, there just isn't the same impetus to register a set. When the decision was made to make the reg. forum something less than what it was designed to do, that is, "For discussion of PCGS registry sets - building them, buying them, selling them, collecting them," they not only instantly killed the reg. forum, but also started the slow death of the registry, imho, and for that matter started the slow disintegration of the CU message boards in general.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seen in all their honesty, the "good old days" of anything are often less than what we recall.
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    I concur

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a brief time when I looked forward more to coming here than even the coin forum.

There were as many as four or five great threads at a time and the tone was usually better.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new and fresh market is always more interesting that one that is getting on in years. PCGS and NGC have been dumping tons of product into the market since the late 1990's, pops have gone up noticeably in most 20th c. series. It's only naturual that as the supply has gone up, the demand for once was somewhat unobtainable has decreased. To get that feeling back we are now into presidential dollars and more new commems.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>There was a brief time when I looked forward more to coming here than even the coin forum.

There were as many as four or five great threads at a time and the tone was usually better. >>

Well..............I'd post more threads on "what high quality Jefferson nickels look like" but nobody wants to lay their cards out to let everyone know what's in their collection. We have too many folks with overgraded coins hiding behind what's on the label. We don't have any kind of pact among true collectors here who have a "coin hobby" desire to know who has the best coins. They take it for granted at the integrity of the hobby because they didn't spend their money wisely, they don't want to take a loss because they haven't learned the hard truth yet. Here, all we hear is, "I made a pop top! What you don't hear, is what a true collector will tell you, whether that coin is an awesome example of an EDS strike, markfree surfaces and eye appeal. Those are the seeds that drives/flies a collector across the country to see those great coins and meet that person..................., I'd like to go on and on about integrity in the hobby but there's really not many here who really care.

Leo

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Remember the good old days on the boards?

I guess I'm one of the 'old-timers' here.
    Every once in a while I review old PM & really miss some of the guys who really helped me out when I was first starting.

Some might still be around, just not as involved, or have gone to another sight.....bstat1020, Endocrinologist, ElectricEye; and especially, for me, K6AZ & PQpeace. image
    I'm sure there are others I missed, and some I've omitted because they're still active here.

It may just be me, but it seemed that this site was mostly collectors back 5 years or so, maybe a dealer or 2 (or so it seemed).
    Members were trading and selling here. Things were jumping. It seemed rare to have a thread TTT more than a few times.
    I can't remember different 'clique's', disagreement, yes. But never to the point where as soon as a member you had a disagreement with posted you jump on and badmouth him. Then again, I was rarely on the OF.

No offense to anyone here, but it seems everyone is selling on eBay.
    Of course there are coins being sold here, and maybe it's because I no longer need so many coins for my registry sets, or because my cash reserves have dwindled down, but my general feeling is that things have slowed down.......alot.

JMO
  • Options
    Augie,

Need to borrow my cane and glasses?

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Larry,

Got the glasses, got an extra cane? image
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "Ah yes, I do remember the good old days - good fights and slams."

• Options
    On that note RBinTex/Redcents, did you ever get on the right meds? You were really worrying me during your rapid decay of mental health a few years ago.image
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    date-n-shill
  • Options
    That's more like it! Just like the good old days!image
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>date-n-shill >>

imageimageimageimageimage

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    rayovacrayovac Posts: 192 ✭✭
    Leon,

I purchased one FS Jefferson nickel from the Baltimore auction. It was a PCGS MS67FS 1941P. It was not part of the Jefferson Gems set according to the auction listing. The coin has 6 full steps, a full strike, and booming luster. There are no ticks, nicks, bridges, or merges in the steps. This was a "lateral" upgrade for me as I already had a PCGS MS67FS 1941P.

Ray Overby
    CS 65-Present FS Jefferson nickel set at myurl
    RayOverby
  • Options
    Rayovac

This sounds way more like current events than the good old days?
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    "Ah yes, I do remember the good old days - good fights and slams."

Had to sound in........I haven't posted much in the last year. I have been lurking alittle but it just hasn't been like the good old days.

I will be talking to you son Mark........(Call me <<<< 805 878-7272) Walt
  • Options
    Sounds good Walt! I'm gonna come in real big!!!!
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch,

My wife had already told a similar brain teaser image You can do better that that, I know image
  • Options

<< <i>Leon,

I purchased one FS Jefferson nickel from the Baltimore auction. It was a PCGS MS67FS 1941P. It was not part of the Jefferson Gems set according to the auction listing. The coin has 6 full steps, a full strike, and booming luster. There are no ticks, nicks, bridges, or merges in the steps. This was a "lateral" upgrade for me as I already had a PCGS MS67FS 1941P.

Ray Overby >>

Hi Ray

I've notice a few others doing the same with lateral upgrades. They're getting wiser with what's in demand..........high quality examples! But we still have a few slab buyers around. Did you run into a little trouble in Baltimore with some guy from (I won't say) who bought into alot of the pop tops out of the Jefferson Gems collection. Oh well, he'll eventually learn if any of his stuff will actually hold the test of time. Also met AC and saw some of his collection. He also does lateral upgrades and has one of the best collections I've seen, right up there with yourself and Corso. But Corso has a little lateral upgrading to do. The CSNS show lacked quality stuff as well. Heard the 1947-S PCGS MS67FS was an excellent coin. Some dealer had several high graded MS66FS 1962's and two were added to a couple of registry sets. Said they all came from one roll. How often does that happen? Same thing has happened with the 1949-D/S.
    I was able to locate one coin in a 1955-D PCGS MS65 at the show. The slab appears to have been shuffled around quite a bit. Likely from slab collectors who passed it up because it didn't have the FS designation but I bought it.
    imageimage

Leo