26. Milwaukee Brewers $287,000,000
27. Kansas City Royals $282,000,000
28. Pittsburgh Pirates $274,000,000
29. Tampa Bay Devil Rays $267,000,000
30. Florida Marlins $244,000,000

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, the Yankees had the biggest operating LOSS while the Marlins had the larges operating INCOME. >>

Really? I am amazed at that info, I see on TV all the empty seats in Florida time and time again, and the Yankees...well they are the Yankees!
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>

<< <i>BTW, the Yankees had the biggest operating LOSS while the Marlins had the larges operating INCOME. >>

Really? I am amazed at that info, I see on TV all the empty seats in Florida time and time again, and the Yankees...well they are the Yankees! >>

Yankees big payroll, Marilins much less.
  • Options
    What did Steinbrenner pay for the Yankees back in 1973? I'm sure it was a tiny fraction of what it is worth now.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly Steinbrenner paid a mere $10 Million with some big tax breaks from NYC which made it much less than that. I will try to find a link. Some hefty ROI, heh?

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Really? I am amazed at that info, I see on TV all the empty seats in Florida time and time again, and the Yankees...well they are the Yankees! >>

Yankees big payroll, Marilins much less. >>

I understand that but you need butts in the seats to make $$ right? Not to mention the Yankee name is much more popular than the Marlins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yankees big payroll, Marilins much less. >>

I understand that but you need butts in the seats to make $$ right? Not to mention the Yankee name is much more popular than the Marlins. >>

I would say yes you need good attendence but TV contracts also play a factor. The Yankees have to have a much larger attendence than
    the Marlins and their local TV contract must be much more attractive as well. The exact financial conditions of the clubs are very complex
    and some dispute the Forbes article figures and conclusions.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>11. Houston Astros $442,000,000 >>

I believe Drayton purchased the team for +/- $60,000,000.

Sweet deal.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Posted on the otehr thread:

It will be interesting to see a related article that actually details what the teams would actually sell for. No way the Cubs are going for $592 million. The team is expected to fetch in excess of $700 million, maybe even $800 million.

We'll find out later this year.

Also, keep in mind all of the accounting games that teams play with their financials. Yankees lose money? Yeah, right. They would not be able to continue at their current pace if they did that for a long time.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    We have completed baseball rips, basketball rips, hockey rips, and basketball rips. Lets go big time and buy ourselves a major league baseball team. We would need 30,000 of us to come up with $10,00 each, we may have to sell some of our better cards, and we can get this done. There are several teams we could probably get for $300,000,000.

You can send your payment to my paypal accouint. Hurry, spots are filling up.

• Options

i believe that they paid the pirate owners 60 mill to take the franchise. just kidding but they stink and make money cause of revenue sharing. when they get a good player, kiss him goodbye. money in the bank. some racetrack owner (nutting) and this newspaper guy(mcclatchy). they haven't had a winning season since 1993.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    David Glass bought the Royals in 2000 for $96 million. I'd say he's making his money.
    Travis
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Capital gains is one thing....true free cash flow on a year-to-year basis is another.

BTW, the new Yankees stadium will basically allow the Yankees to contribute substantially less to revenue sharing because of some of the accounting/tax breaks that were conceded in the process of that arrangement.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Capital gains is one thing....true free cash flow on a year-to-year basis is another.

BTW, the new Yankees stadium will basically allow the Yankees to contribute substantially less to revenue sharing because of some of the accounting/tax breaks that were conceded in the process of that arrangement. >>

That's not cool. Just another example of greedy George trying to starve the little man by cutting into his paycheck. How is David Glass going to get by now? image
    Travis
  • Options
    If we combined our spare change and piggy banks im fairly certain we could buy the Tampa Bay DevilRays!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Fenway is EXTREMELY small, i think it is about half the size of yankee stadium
  • Options

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options

<< <i><< If I remember correctly Steinbrenner paid a mere $10 Million with some big tax breaks from NYC which made it much less than that. I will try to find a link. Some hefty ROI, heh?>>

A group of investors, led by Cleveland-based shipbuilder George Steinbrenner, purchased the club from CBS for $8.7 million on January 3, 1973. Mike Burke stayed on as president until April, when he quit. Within a year, Steinbrenner bought out most of his other partners and became the team's principal owner, although Burke continued to hold a minority share of the club into the 1980s.

Famous Boss George Quote:

"I won't be active in the day-to-day operations of the club at all," Steinbrenner said. "I can't spread myself so thin. I've got enough headaches with my shipping company."

Yeah, right. Old George has been strictly hands off. LOL >>

I guess he found the day to day operations of the Yankees more interesting to occupy his time than the shipping company.