Home Sports Talk
Options

Foot-in-Mouth Statements . . .

that came back to haunt the team. Besides Rollins this year, I remember Cone bragging against the Dodgers in '88 during the playoffs. It fired them up and the rest is history. What others were there?
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Namath's prediction in the Super Bowl.

Seriously - worst I've seen is Dr. J saying "mail in the results" or specifically I think he said "mail it in" when asked who was going to win the final playoff game and of course he boldly stated the Sixers would. And then the Sixers lost that last playoff game - I was at that game.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Charles Barkley said that, if Yao Ming scored 16 or more points in a game during his rookie year, he would kiss the ass of Kenny Smith. Sure enough, Yao scored the points, and Smith rented a donkey for the ceremonial ass-kissing!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Another Chuck moment.

Up 3-1 against the Rockets in the '94 playoffs.

"We're in the arse kicking business and business is dang good."

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought Plane tickets to the Superbowl Woo Hoo!!!

Any Houston Oiler fan 0n 1-23-93 who said this when their team was up 35-3 against the Bills in that playoff game!
  • Options
    Fuzzy Zoeller - "That little boy is driving well and he's putting well. He's doing everything it takes to win. So, you know what you guys do when he gets in here? You pat him on the back and say congratulations and enjoy it and tell him not to serve fried chicken next year. Got it?" "or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve."
    ---------------------------------------------

"The Villain"

Shiba Rescue Organization
    A Shiba Inu is a terrible thing to waste! image
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Didn't Kevin Garnett guarentee a playoff series win up 3-1 only to fold like tent?

I also remember a certain Cowboy QB's words after the first practice with TO...."This is going to be sick"

and it was!!

Kevin
  • Options
    My all time favorite is the one that Kevin "Joey Stalin" qouted a few years back early in the pre-season when my Patriots went on to beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl, he said his Yucs would make it further in the playoffs than my Patsies! image
  • Options
    A dynasty, interrupted: the 1983-84 Philadelphia 76ers had one title in hand and hoped for many more. Their Hall of Fame talent stretched only so far, and the championship run never happened
    Basketball Digest, Feb, 2003 by Steve Fall<< Page 1 Continued from page 2. Previous | Next

The Fast Fall of Philadelphia's Dynasty

THE 1983-84 PHILADELPHIA 76ERS FINISHED 22 games over .500 at 52-30, but dropped two regular-season games against the New Jersey Nets, who had to hit a hot streak just to make it into the playoffs Those two losses, in February and April, proved to be a bad omen for the 76ers, who were upset by New Jersey in their first round playoff series.

An otherwise successful, solid season became a failure after three first-round playoff losses at home vs. the Nets. Superstar Moses Malone averaged 22.7 ppg and a league-best 13.4 rpg during the regular season, but former Sixer Darryl Dawkins outplayed him in the playoffs. The Nets got a boost with the return of Micheal Ray Richardson from his drug suspension, while 76ers' leader Julius Erving had lost his legs and looked tired.

Still, after going down 2-0 and rallying to win two straight in New Jersey, sending the series back to Philadelphia tied 2-2, Dr. J confidently predicted a Sixers series win. "They are not going to win [the series] in Philadelphia," Erving said. "You can mail in the stats."

The USPS did not deliver, and Erving capped a disappointing series with 6-of-16 shooting, 18 points, and four turnovers in Game 5. Meanwhile, Richardson scored 24 points to give New Jersey its first NBA playoff series victory ever.

FIRST ROUND, 1984 PLAYOFFS
    New Jersey 3, Philadelphia 2
    April 18 New Jersey 116, Philadelphia 101
    April 20 New Jersey 116, Philadelphia 102
    April 22 Philadelphia 108, New Jersey 100
    April 24 Philadelphia 110, New Jersey 102
    April 26 New Jersey 101, Philadelphia 98

COPYRIGHT 2003 Century Publishing

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SteveK boldly proclaiming that the Sillies were back on track and that the Mets (or Pets as he referred to them) would lie down like dogs!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Patsies fan forgot about 2002....oh and that tuck-rule first ring doesn't count either!

JS
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>My all time favorite is the one that Kevin "Joey Stalin" qouted a few years back early in the pre-season when my Patriots went on to beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl, he said his Yucs would make it further in the playoffs than my Patsies! image >>

Everything Joey says is a "foot-in-mouth statement" as he had his foot surgically implanted in his mouth a long time ago image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Charles Barkley said that, if Yao Ming scored 16 or more points in a game during his rookie year, he would kiss the ass of Kenny Smith. Sure enough, Yao scored the points, and Smith rented a donkey for the ceremonial ass-kissing! >>

Well, that was a pretty clever way out of it. Also lends new meaning to the term "beaten like a rented mule."
  • Options

<< <i>SteveK boldly proclaiming that the Sillies were back on track and that the Mets (or Pets as he referred to them) would lie down like dogs! >>

Long season yet. It ain't over 'til it's over.
  • Options

<< <i>I just bought Plane tickets to the Superbowl Woo Hoo!!!

Any Houston Oiler fan 0n 1-23-93 who said this when their team was up 35-3 against the Bills in that playoff game! >>

Actually, I think it was either right before or after New Years because I was in ATL, talking trash to college buddies...

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Patsies fan forgot about 2002....oh and that tuck-rule first ring doesn't count either!

JS >>

image Kevin you need to let that go! Can I reccomend therapy?

Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just bought Plane tickets to the Superbowl Woo Hoo!!!

Any Houston Oiler fan 0n 1-23-93 who said this when their team was up 35-3 against the Bills in that playoff game! >>

Actually, I think it was either right before or after New Years because I was in ATL, talking trash to college buddies...

image >>

Stown that must have been a tough hit! Believe me my feelings are still upset about the Mets in '86, the Yanks in '03 and WELL YOU GET THE PICTURE!
  • Options

<< <i>Believe me my feelings are still upset about the Mets in '86 >>

Preaching to the choir, brother.

Who did they beat for the NL?

Yup.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Believe me my feelings are still upset about the Mets in '86 >>

Preaching to the choir, brother.

Who did they beat for the NL?

Yup.

image >>

image I forgot about that! My bad....image
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    The best foot in mouth statement should be softparade and brian telling us how bad A-rod sucks.