Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Revised Guidance For First Day of Issue Presidential Dollars

2»

Comments

• Options

<< <i>ITEM 2 - THESE ARE NOT MINT SEALED BOXES!!!!!

PCGS is INCORRECT in thier guidance that these are MINT packaged - they are NOT.

The boxes with those labels are THIRD PARTY wrapped rolls and packaged in boxes. >>

• Options
    what say you, coinking??
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    Are these the only items sent out from the mint through restricted channels to contracted parties working under mint supervision? Does the mint bag ,box and cover all other mint issued items within its walls? Is the Fullfillment center in Memphis actually located within the walls of Denver,Philly,San Fran and West Point? Just curious--what say anyone who actually knows and can verify that all other products actually all get minted, packed and shipped from within any of those aforementioned mints?

As far as packaging is concerned--who thinks it would be easier to re-tape a 20th anniversary case to try to get a 20th anniversay label on their previously opened coin sets? How about any body trying to change the date on a case to get into First Day Issue labels? Either of those would be easier to do and far more profitable than to try to get into any of these bricks.

Exactly what are we discussing? On Feb 15th I was on my way to Long beach. I was looking for Washingtons so I could get some FDIs. It was incredibly difficult, and I completely missed the Long Beach Show. The thing is, I was in the Long Beach Show--running around, not looking for anything else but these coins so i could meet the deadline.

Now, maybe I can relax and enjoy the day, knowing that if i have to submit a case, I can trust that PCGS recognizes a case that was filled through a mint contracted site, sealed, stamped, inspected and dated under Federal Reserve supervision and guidelines. Is that any less or more restrictive than getting a postmark? You tell me.
  • Options
    A dollar is a dollar is a dollar is a dollar...

• Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would care what the slab says regarding a first day of issue on almost any coin, much less these.

It smacks to me of buying the slab (no offense intended to PCGS) rather than the coin.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    what....the coin is important?

no way, the slab is what matters.....

If you ever should doubt the second line in my post, just look for the price difference for First Strike coins vs Non First Strike.
  • Options
    Wow!! There sure is alot of questions over something that wasn't even packaged by the Mint. The real first Day of Issue dollar has been out for some time. And these B.S. covers are too costly to be certified. To me, its Two dollars in a nice envelope. A nice Mint issue product. Thats it!
    I'm not a vigilante, I'm an undocumented border patrol agent!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    To me, its Two dollars in a nice envelope. A nice Mint issue product. Thats it!

i agree with you!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    One can hardly wait to "miss out" on this overreach.

• Options

<< <i>To me, its Two dollars in a nice envelope. A nice Mint issue product. Thats it!

>>

Its much more than that! Its Two Dollars that were produced on the first day of minting, packaged by the US Mint and certified by the US Mint. Its close to a certified First Strike that you are gonna see. Since the Mint's packaging certifies this, I do not understand why anyone would want to compromise this to put it in a TPG slab for a for a label that doesn't verify anything about the actual day that the coin was struck. the PCGS label only verifies that a particular coin was released to the public on Feb 15th. Whoop de dooo!
    On the other hand if they encapsulated the entire envelope similar to the way they do currency, well then, you have something that is worth spending your grading dollars on, if for no other reason than for long term storage of the FDCC.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    Piggy,

I could not have said it better myself.

FDM Covers are as close to a real First Strike gets than anything else.

NOTHING else matters.

• Options

<< <i>Piggy,

I could not have said it better myself.

FDM Covers are as close to a real First Strike gets than anything else.

NOTHING else matters. >>

i second that... i never even noticed that the SHQ's are the same thing... with all the fuss and premium about the First Strikes... i gotta tell ya... i am confused! why are the TRUE frist strikes not getting any attention?????

/ed

• Options
    Coinking -

Need a reply to your Guidance on supposedly MINT SEALED BOXES when they are actually THIRD PARTY SEALED BOXES. Eligibility?
  • Options
    Why not PM him your comcerns? I pm'd him once and while he did not reply what i had asked was answered.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    No more submissions for FDI from me.

Rules shouldn't have changed. No one likes to throw money away.
  • Options
    I'm with you 7 over 8... My first day issue submissions are over! I guess there was soooo may tears from the folks that didn't get off their duffs and submit the real first day coins on Feb. 15th, this B.S. program was invented. Remember, it's first day of issue. Not first strike or first in envelope. Thats my too cents.
    I'm not a vigilante, I'm an undocumented border patrol agent!
  • Options
    I wonder if the revised guidance has anything to do with this?

No wonder my sales of P&D sets have all but dried up.

7.00 per coin? yeah, I guess if you don't mind losing money it's ok.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm with you 7 over 8... My first day issue submissions are over! I guess there was soooo may tears from the folks that didn't get off their duffs and submit the real first day coins on Feb. 15th, this B.S. program was invented. Remember, it's first day of issue. Not first strike or first in envelope. Thats my too cents. >>

image The FDI program and insert is total B.S. It means nothing in relation to the coin other than possibly that the coin is one of a hundred million that could have been struck any time in the preceeding three months but just happened to be released to the public on a specific day!!!
  • Options
    Hog -

Same as First Strike, etc. But as you well know, price compare Non FS coins against FS coins.........BIG difference.

If the FDOI designation rules and guidance was held at original Feb 12 statement, you would see a DEFINITE demand and price difference.

I know I dont have to explain this again, you guys are well aware of what is driving some of these markets.....not the coin.....the holder.
  • Options

<< <i>Hog -

Same as First Strike, etc. But as you well know, price compare Non FS coins against FS coins.........BIG difference.

If the FDOI designation rules and guidance was held at original Feb 12 statement, you would see a DEFINITE demand and price difference.

I know I dont have to explain this again, you guys are well aware of what is driving some of these markets.....not the coin.....the holder. >>

I agree, but its not so cut and dried. Just look at the FS 2006UNC gold Buffalo versus the Non FS 2006 Unc Buffalo. Virtually no price difference between the coins. Same with the 2006 UNC W plats. (may be more mintage driven in that case). But it all boils down to the Bidiots on the bay. And yes, we all seem very eager to exploit them, dont we.
  • Options
    Agreed, but for the 06W SAE, they did not do a FS on the unc except when in Anniv Sets.

So there is a very large diff in price on the 06W SAE in FS vs non FS, about 250-300 bucks.
  • Options
    oops, thought you said 06w SAE,

but I see you mentioned PLATS, you are right on PLATS, definitely mintage driven
  • Options
    ttt
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ttt >>

You realize this was already at the top, right?

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares, the coin is a disgrace.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file