Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Funny Math on Kennedy Halves

What happened to the Proof Kennedy Half "All Time" calculations? The math does not seem to make sense. There are collections with 80% of the coins not top pop ahead of a collections with 99% top pop. Does anybody know?

Comments

• Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    Guess - When PCGS changed the point system it only applied to the current list of collections not the all time finest.
  • Options
    Under the old system the collections were in a different order also. The number 2 set has 40 coins with lower grades and the lower ranked set is 100% complete with no coins ranked lower than any like coin in the #2 set. Impossible, I think.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    So is this happening with just the Kennedy's or are other sets being effectedimage
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    Parke - The sets in the "All Time Finest" that are ahead of you, I believe are 'retired' sets. When PCGS changed the point system a few weeks ago, they only applied the change to "Current Sets". Example: the silver proof coins use to have a 2 point value now they are just worth one point.

Your set is still number one. The "J.S. Hamilton Kennedy Collection" retired with a GPA of 71.80 and the "Current Finest Possible Set Rating: 70.33" should say it all.
  • Options
    I am just trying to understand the logic. The other sets are fine sets and I do not wish to diminish them in any way. The logic just escapes me on particularly the #2 and #3 sets. Here are the facts...

The #1 set is JS Hamilton, has 2 less coins and has 4 lower graded coins and none higher graded. The 4 lower graded coins are all weighted.
    The #2 set is CPIPACER, has 2 less coins and 53 lower graded coins and none higher. It is almost all PR69DCAM and mine is all PR70DCAM.
    The #3 set is JRB, has 2 less coins and 52 lower graded coins - almost all PR69DCAM vs my PR70DCAMs.

I just don't see how the math can work like that when the logic seems to suggest something different. It sounds like a "collector" could get the first year a coin is issued, reitre their set, and always have the #1 set even if the collection ends up having 40+ coins just because when they retired it, the collection was at 100% (1 of 1).

I really would appreciate a lesson in the math so I can understand the rating system better. I buy coins because I like the way they look and most are reasonable investments. I am also aware that people (including myself) use the registry as a way to measure and compare collections, values, etc.... so I really want to understand.

Thanking everyone in advance for helping a poor old guy muddle through this.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I brought this up nearly a year ago and BJ just brushed it off. It used to be that when an open set was retired they began to drop - as they should - when the new year started and additional coins were needed. For some reason that changed, and now incomplete sets stay at the top of the all time finest at the expense of active registry participants who keep their sets up to date.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    HMM...I just looked at the sets Parke is referring to, and it's even more screwed up. There is no formula that could possibly place those sets higher than his. Something is whacked in the database.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    Hi Everyone,

"I brought this up nearly a year ago and BJ just brushed it off."

On the contrary! I never brush anything off. As I explained in an email to Parke last week, we are aware of a problem in the calculations of the ATF sets. This was discovered when some of the modern proof set weighting was updated. The problem is with our helpdesk and should be resolved very soon. Just hang in there and thanks for your patience. All will be in order soon.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • Options
    I have to stand up for BJ here... she did send me an email last week after I mentioned the problem on the board and in an email to PCGS. She said their programmers were working on it. I still don't have a firm grasp on how the point system works (another website actually shows the points for each coin), but that is not the reason I collect anyway.... although it has added to the entertainment of watching different people upgrade and move around.

• Options
    BTW, just so you all understand, when a modern set is retired at 100% complete, it remains 100% complete. We do not penalize those who take the time to build a modern set, finish it through date and then retire it. That is what was happening a couple of years ago, i.e. a modern retired set would slowly sink in ratings. This was brought to my attention and rather than "brush it off," I discussed it with some of the experts at PCGS who all agreed that the retired sets should remain at 100% complete. This calculation was changed and remains that way in V2. The problem right now is the GPA calculations, which will be resolved soon.

Parke, you can view the calculations for each item in your sets in the "What if?" program. Your points are listed in the column on the far right called "Weighted Rating." Not only that, but you can see what points you will get if you add or update a coin. The "Rules" page gives you the calculation breakdown.

Thanks!
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
  • Options
    The "All TIme" registry for Kennedy halves is still having issues. Judging by the thread regarding some other denominations, this is not a unique event. I hope the programmers at PCGS fix it fairly soon.

Has anyone had any luck with the 2007 Proof Kennedy Halves?
  • Options
    Parke,

The problem, which is a complicated one, is being addressed. Rest assured it has not been forgotten. If you have any further questions, please email me directly.

Thanks.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com