Home Sports Talk
Options

Dallas Mavericks and the NBA playoffs...............

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
................ and a question for you all.

If Dallas ends up playing the Golden State Warriors in the first round of the playoffs, do you think the Mavs would be ripe for a first round exit?

Golden State has Don Nelson as coach. He used to coach the Mavs and knows the Mavs players, coach (Avery Johnson) and system inside and out. Nelson is a great coach and has the Warriors playing very well (they have won 16 out of the last 21 games [including the Mavs, Suns, Pistons, Rockets and Utah] and have defeated the Mavs 6 out of the last 7 times they have played). The two teams play a similar style (high octane offense) which would make for very entertaining games. The Warriors are also playing tough defense and getting lots of steals and fast break points.

I hope these two teams play in the first round since it would be a very entertaining series.

Comments

• Options
    I'd like to see the upset.
    But, I don't think it will happen.
    Golden State will give them all they could handle...
  • Options
    I think their biggest problem is that they haven't had a meaningful game in a while and might be cold.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd like to see the upset. >>

Me too.

I despise all teams from Dallas image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    If last night's game is any indication, Dallas (and other playoff teams) may be very unhappy at the fact that the Warriors made the playoffs this year.

Don Nelson has a knack for getting the best out of his players and getting his teams to play well against all types of opposing teams. With the Warriors getting healthy after being injured most of the regular season and with the mid season trade that brought in Jackson and Harrington, the team is on a roll, winning 17 of its last 22 games and 10 of its last 11 games.

I have a feeling that Dallas is in trouble.
  • Options
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I wonder if the Mavericks are quaking and shaking in their cowboy boots over having to play the Warriors in game two tomorrow night? Sunday's game one win by Golden State has to have the Mavericks organization, players and owner (Mr. Cuban) worried. A game two win by Golden State in Dallas will cause panick to set in.

I really enjoyed watching the TV camera cut repeatedly to Mr. Cuban during the final minutes of game one. His facial expression and body language said it all (anger, frustration and rage). It must gall him to have Don Nelson come into Dallas and win against his teamimage, particularly since a continuing disagreement between Nelson and Cuban over compensation to Nelson by the Mavericks simmers to this day.
  • Options
    I think Dallas needs to start at center 44 year old Kevin Willis. Series over!
    1981-82 Topps Basketball PSA 9 or 10
    1992-93 Topps Basketball PSA 9 or 10
    1976 Topps Baseball PSA 9 or 10
    1981 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1982 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1986 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1975 Topps Wacky Packages Series 15 PSA 9 or 10
  • Options
    Guess the Mavericks were not quaking in their cowboys boots for game two. Series tied 1-1 and heading out west to Oakland for games three and four.

History says that the #8 seeds rarely if ever beat the #1 seeds in the NBA playoffs. Had the Warriors won game two in Dallas, they might be in control of the series. The pressure is on them to win games three and four in Oakland. If they do not, chances are they will lose the series.
  • Options

<< <i>History says that the #8 seeds rarely if ever beat the #1 seeds in the NBA playoffs. Had the Warriors won game two in Dallas, they might be in control of the series. The pressure is on them to win games three and four in Oakland. If they do not, chances are they will lose the series. >>

The 8 seed has defeated the 1 twice in NBA playoff history if I'm not mistaken. The first time was either the 1994 or 1995 playoffs (I can't remember) when #8 Denver beat #1 Seattle. That was a real shocker. It happened again with the #8 Knicks vs. #1 Miami a few years later.

So having wrote that, I think this series has tremendous potential for a first-round upset, but somehow the Mavs will pull it off.
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I BELIEVE. GO WARRIORS!
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    Great game last night. Baron Davis is a stud.
  • Options

<< <i>GO WARRIORS! >>

It's only a matter of time before Cuban loses it image
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wow - I would love to see the Warriors pull this off. Cuban would indeed go absolutely nuts.
  • Options
    It would be very entertaining to see Mr. Cuban sitting in the stands in Dallas for Game 5 and have the Mavericks lose the game. His facial expression and body language would be quite telling.
  • Options

<< <i>It would be very entertaining to see Mr. Cuban sitting in the stands in Dallas for Game 5 and have the Mavericks lose the game. His facial expression and body language would be quite telling. >>

You're assuming he won't have a towel over his head, but I guess that would be just as entertaining. image
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    Game 5 tips off in about 3 hours.

Hold onto your Cowboy Boots Mavericks fans and hold onto your Merlot and Brie Warriors fans because "Dirk" and "Boom Dizzle" are about to Dazzle.

If a Game 6 in Oakland happens I still would like to see sitting courtside a "Jessica" triple play [Alba, Biel & Simpson] just so Oracle Arena can go a little bit "Hollywood Glam" instead of its usual 70's and 80's disco funk.
  • Options
    GO WARRIORS!

• Options
    That was some game last night - the Warriors should have won it, and I hope they can bounce back with that same type of effort again. Baron Davis is playing on another level, and for a team running with only 8 guys, you have to admire the Warriors trying to pull this one off.
  • Options
    Dallas should have won this in 5 game..they are the better team. That being said, Dirk has been nearly invisible for the series, disappeared for nearly the entire second half last night, and Golden State is simply playing like they want it more.

As far as Cuban goes, yes he's loud and abrasive, but is there any owner who has done more for basketball and his team than Cuban? Where were the Mavs before he got there? Perennial losers, the doormat of the league? Now they are always in the hunt for a championship. He's an owner who cares, who desperately wants his team to win. You can't say that about a majority of owners.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, Dallas pulled that win out of their ass. GS should finish them off at home, but maybe Dallas will finally get their act together and win the series.

I still think Phoenix is going to win it all anyway, despite the Mavs 67 wins.
  • Options
    <<s far as Cuban goes, yes he's loud and abrasive, but is there any owner who has done more for basketball and his team than Cuban? Where were the Mavs before he got there? Perennial losers, the doormat of the league? Now they are always in the hunt for a championship. He's an owner who cares, who desperately wants his team to win. You can't say that about a majority of owners.>>

Sounds like George Steinbrenner's evil son to me.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    Absolutely incredible what's going on - Warriors are up by 25 with 9 minutes to go! It will be great to see them pull off the biggest NBA upset in a long time, maybe ever - and watch Cuban lose it!
  • Options
    DaBeefDaBeef Posts: 2,478
    Jackson is on fire! This is awesome!

I cannot believe how bad Dirk is choking here.

Signed, A-rod.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Dallas should have won this in 5 game..they are the better team. That being said, Dirk has been nearly invisible for the series, disappeared for nearly the entire second half last night, and Golden State is simply playing like they want it more.

As far as Cuban goes, yes he's loud and abrasive, but is there any owner who has done more for basketball and his team than Cuban? Where were the Mavs before he got there? Perennial losers, the doormat of the league? Now they are always in the hunt for a championship. He's an owner who cares, who desperately wants his team to win. You can't say that about a majority of owners. >>

True, but it's still hilarious to watch them lose. What a gag job. I haven't seen a team choke on it this bad since---well, since my bowling team finished second to last in our league this year after winning it last year.

An 8 seed bouncing a 1 seed-- particularly in 6 games-- should almost NEVER happen. Dallas was -450 to -500 in their home games, and -120 or so on the road. To lose 4 out of six at those odds is difficult to do; particularly when you figure that the Warriors should have dispatched them in Dallas in game 5.

Also-- and I never thought I'd say this-- but the NBA needs to take a page from the NHL and reseed after every round. It's crazy that either Houston or Utah gets Golden State, while the Spurs and the Suns have to duke it out.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow -- Dirk sure picked the wrong time of the year to go into a slump.

Or, it may be just that GS ow3ns Dallas -- reg season and playoffs. Now watch them get swept by Utah or Houston.
  • Options

Not mine, but thought it was funny anyway.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    ^^^^^^^

That's awesome!!

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great call on the thread!!!

how does dirk only score 8 points????????
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    How good was Baron Davis? And, Richardson and Jackson seemed like they couldn't miss a shot. That was a fun series to watch, despite Sir Charles saying that nobody cares about the first round of the NBA playoffs...

I didn't realize the NHL reseeds their teams every round - that's a great idea, and especially in this case, it would be appropriate.
  • Options
    I watched the game on TV and a client of mine attended the game. He said the crowd at the game stood up out of their seats for the entire second half, screaming at the toip of their lungs the whole game.

A very entertaining series. The Warriors have played so well (since early March they have won 20 of their last 27 games) lately, beating some of the top teams in the league that they are on a roll. They are not your typical #8 seed waiting for an early exit. They were 26 and 35 when they caught fire. It took winning 16 of 21 games to get them into the playoffs on the last day of the season, as the last team to qualify. They have been playing for their lives just to get in the playoffs. It is as if their last 27 games have all been playoff games.

It would not suprise me to see them win the next series against the Utah/Houston winner and play either the Suns or the Spurs in the Western Conference Championship. Warriors v. Suns would be a run and gun high scoring shootout with two premier point guards (Nash and Davis) putting on a show. Warriors v. Spurs would probably result in a Warriors loss.

In any event, the Warriors v. Dallas series was a joy to watch. Lots and lots of drama and the upset of the #1 seed by the #8 seed. In the second half last night Dallas just looked shell shocked and simply could not do anything to mount a rally. Dirk had a bad game and did not have what it takes to lead his team to a game 6 win so that a game 7 in Dallas would be held.