Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1976-77 Topps Basketball

I just finished a great couple of days selling a nice lot of PSA graded 1976-77 Topps Basketball cards. I was pleasantly surprised as to how many collectors of this issue are out there. I was also comforted in the fact that the #34 LUCIUS ALLEN “green beard” card that I have is NOT the only one in existence. Color bursts of these cards are not uncommon. They are also plagued with color streaks, OC backs, print dots, rough bottom edge, and those darn factory created roller marks across the card.

As the pioneer submitter of these awesome (when in mint condition) cards, I have been asked for my advice from other collectors. I am more then willing to share my experiences with any and everyone. However it may be easier to do it in this forum then responding to the same questions via email.

Finally, I hope the recent sale of these cards brings more people to the 1976-77 PSA set registry and ultimately to this message board.

Carlos

Comments

• Hello,
    I'm new to this board.I have been reading all your comments for a few weeks and i have learned alot about the set collecting "universe".I am working on a number of vintage football sets and some basketball sets.The 76-77 basketball set interests me.I bought a vending box a while ago planning on putting together a graded set.I couldn't believe how poor the production on these cards are.The 500 card vending box broke down as follows:All 500 had razor corners (as expected)..almost 100 had a "roller mark" or "printing snow" which eliminates them immediately...about 50 had a slight "paper wrinkle"....of the 350 left at least HALF were off-centered to a degree of a definate qualifier.So i was left with about 150-175 cards which to my eye are an 8 NQ.From experience I know that what i think is an 8 isn't always an 8, so i expect to get about 100-125 8NQ's out of the vending box.After this ramble here is my question...Do you feel that 20% of a vending box is a fair ratio or would you expect to get a higher percentage?This question is for vending boxes in general..any year, any sport...thanks for any help you may have...Fred
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    For 1970s Topps issues, I think 20% is the expected ratio. In trying to submit for very strong 8s or PSA 9s, my experience with late 1970s baseball is about 5%. I submitted most of the star cards, and received perhaps 30% of them in PSA 8 grade. But I think 20% is a fair expectation going into the game...

It makes vintage unopened a truly risky investment. You need to accurately weight the costs and expected return before going ahead and purchasing. The law of averages makes expectations more probable on a case of cards, but it is still a very expensive endeavour.

When I see 1978 Topps baseball wax boxes going for over $500, I honestly don't understand why. with 540 cards, you may submit 100 - 150, if you submit commons. Then that is $1,600 spent on 150 cards. If you get 8s on your commons, do you make any profit at $11- cost per card? No, you lose money. So, unless you get stars in 9 or 10 -- it is a tough move.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    majestic> Do you have 144 different cards (SET?). Start by grading a few of your best, and see how the grades turn out. It sounds like you narrowed the cards down to a good select few. Give it a try!!! These cards look great graded.

Carlos

PS I finished my set today...THANK GOD!!!

1976-77 Topps Basketball Carlos D. Aponte's Set - The Number One Finest Set of All Time

Now I have to upgradeimage