Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Swiss shooter value???

I have a subscription to numismaster, 19th century stuff, but I can't find any info on this particular issue. There are a couple coins I have seen and have an interest in potentially buying, specifically an 1883. One is nice AU and the other is unc.

What should one expect to pay/value on either of these? What was the mintage?
MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give them the picture. You have to remember that the individual Swiss Cantons issued coinage in addition to the Confederation, though I cannot remember if they still did so that late in the game or not. You might not find it under Switzerland but rather under one of the Swiss Cantons, a separate section in Krause. Look on the coin for clues to the canton's name.

If this is the coin you PM'ed me a picture of, I will have a look. I was too busy to look it up when you sent it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the one!
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Krause, in their infinite stupidity, removed Swiss shooting thalers from the regular Krause catalogs. They've been relegated to the "Unusual World Coins" catalog, thus their data is not available online.
    If this was the coin, then my rapid assessment of it as a Swiss shooting thaler was perhaps off the mark. I saw it was for a shooting festival, and then I saw the "5fr" denomination, and automatically assumed Swiss. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I have had only one Swiss shooting festival piece, so I am not totally up to speed on them.

imageimage

However, I see it says LUGANO.

I am pretty sure that's in Italy.

Whoops, sorry 'bout that. image

I don't really know what it is, and I still don't have time to browse Krause or Numismaster, but it seems to be Italian. Whether a coin or a medallic issue, I am not certain. It looks like it has a denomination on it, but 5 francs seems strange for Italy. Hm.

It does look like a shooting thaler. And that chick on the front looks like she has a Swiss cross on her shield. Hm again.

No worries, somebody will nail it for you within a short time of seeing the pic.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    From NEN's website:

imageimage

Switzerland 1883 Lugano 5 Francs NGC MS65 Frosty and brilliant. $449
    I guess Lugano IS in Switzerland, then?

LordM needs a geography lesson. Just got one, it would appear. image

Must be near the Italian border? Where am I getting Italy from, anyway? I guess it just sounded Italian to me.

Feel free to ignore me anytime now, now that I've shown my complete ignorance. image

• WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    You can also check Heritage's Auction Archives under the coins listed for 1883 Switzerland. image
    You will find some relevant pricing across several grades.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess Lugano IS in Switzerland, then?

LordM needs a geography lesson. Just got one, it would appear. image

Must be near the Italian border? Where am I getting Italy from, anyway? I guess it just sounded Italian to me.

Feel free to ignore me anytime now, now that I've shown my complete ignorance. image >>

This might help with the geography of Lugano.. It's an Italian lake, and also a Swiss lake. As an aside, real estate values on the Italian side are about half compared to the Swiss side of the lake (picked that up from the Tribune travel section image ).

Also, those Shooter designs are little works of art, eh?
  • That must be the lake that is pictured on the coin then.

Yep, nice art work alright.
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh oh, it has started - I just bought an unc 1883 like the one pictured above. (not the one pictured above.)