Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

MPL POP REPORT UPDATE-MATTE PROOF LINCOLNS

It was three years ago today that I posted a thread showing the populations of 1909 thru 1916 Lincoln cent Matte Proofs as reported by PCGS, NGC and ANACS. I thought it would be interesting to some of you Registry set holders who collect these coins to see the changes in the past three years. The attached file provides that information.

It is interesting to note that the rare 1909VDB Matte Proof cent population increased by ONLY 17 pieces at all three grading services during the past three years. The fact that only 605 total Matte proof cents were graded (or regraded) during the past three years is also interesting.

Those of us who own some or all of these very scarce coins in our set registries or raw can really appreciate what a special treasure they really are.

Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    I am not a collector of the matte proofs...but those are some very interesting figures. I find it especially interesting that 30% of the entire mintage of the series resides in slabs. Granted, some of these are crackouts, regrades, etc....but still. Pretty cool stuff.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that a significant fraction of the newly slabbed MPLs are actually coins that were previously slabbed and that have been resubmitted to the same, or a different, service.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect that a significant fraction of the newly slabbed MPLs are actually coins that were previously slabbed and that have been resubmitted to the same, or a different, service. >>

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Brian,

Do you have large pics of your icon coin? It's gorgeous!!!
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect that a significant fraction of the newly slabbed MPLs are actually coins that were previously slabbed and that have been resubmitted to the same, or a different, service. >>

I know for a fact the NGC pop is at least 30 too high.image I crack out any nice MPL from NGC holders and sent them to PCGS. I have taken 8 downgrades but the coins are still worth the same and now they are more accurately graded. I sound like a Kool Aid drinkerimage but I think the coins look nicer in the PCGS plastic.

The PCGS pop is also at least 20 too high.image

I also believe the commonly listed mintage of 1916 is about 400 too high. RWB has done research that shows the actual mintage to be 650. The pop reports also bear this out. The published mintage of the 1915 and 1916 is nearly the same but the pop reports do not bear this out. Keep in mind that there is a added financial incentive to upgrade the 1916 so I believe the pop reports for 1916 to be inflated more than any other date, save the VDB.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I know for a fact the NGC pop is at least 30 too high.image I crack out any nice MPL from NGC holders and sent them to PCGS. I have taken 8 downgrades but the coins are still worth the same and now they are more accurately graded. I sound like a Kool Aid drinkerimage but I think the coins look nicer in the PCGS plastic.

The PCGS pop is also at least 20 too high.image

I also believe the commonly listed mintage of 1916 is about 400 too high. RWB has done research that shows the actual mintage to be 650. The pop reports also bear this out. The published mintage of the 1915 and 1916 is nearly the same but the pop reports do not bear this out. Keep in mind that there is a added financial incentive to upgrade the 1916 so I believe the pop reports for 1916 to be inflated more than any other date, save the VDB. >>

Dave,
    Thanks for your input on crackouts, etc. As far as reported mintages of the MPL's are concerned, I have had continuing email conversations with RWB and the folks at Whitman about how they have played around with reported mintages over recent years. I have advocated for CONSISTENCY for reporting and that means treating these MPL's the same way they treat all other reported PROOF mintages which is based on quantities SOLD by the US Mint. The changes in reported mintages in the Red Book in recent years is because new documentation has been found showing quantities MANUFACTURED during the 1909 thru 1916 years. The historically reported mintages, which is what I show in the attachment, is the quantities SOLD as reported by the US Mint. In reality, no one knows for sure how many of these MPL's actually got into the hands of collectors, but the reasonable assumption should be the quantities SOLD to collectors. That is what is used for every proof coin and proof set reported since 1936 to date. Steveimage
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    A great analysis of MPL's, Steve. I'm currently working on a Registry Set of them. I'm #26 working my way up. What percentage of the coins is estimated survive? I know when these coins were released, they didn't go over well with collectors and it is speculated that some were simply spent. Any guesses?

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also believe the commonly listed mintage of 1916 is about 400 too high. RWB has done research that shows the actual mintage to be 650. The pop reports also bear this out. The published mintage of the 1915 and 1916 is nearly the same but the pop reports do not bear this out. Keep in mind that there is a added financial incentive to upgrade the 1916 so I believe the pop reports for 1916 to be inflated more than any other date, save the VDB.

What Brian and I have talked about before is that ...the BV guide is about $2000 off for the 1916. If you know of ANYONE selling a 1916 using this guide and the coin is Below $2000 you would be a fool not to buy it. And if you think you want to wait for a cheaper coin to come along...it might be awhile before you even see another 1916.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.