Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Jackson Hole Collection (Jim Balliro) has been retired

Every collector that has a collection listed on one of the Morgan Dollar Registry Sets will have noted (with at least a pinch of curiosity) the Jackson Hole Collection that was high up among the first 2 or 3 sets (although not visible) during the past 2 or 3 years.
Jim Balliro once defined himself (in his only posting in the PCGS Forum) as "the owner/manager/curator" of his collection. He retired his set yesterday. His Morgan Dollars pedigreed by PCGS we sold at auction by Heritage last Tuesday. I am pretty sure that he made a nice profit on many of those coins judging by the auction results.
My collection has never been in the position of being able to compete with some of the loftier MS64 average sets and honestly I have never really contemplated competing because if I had to choose between spending 50K or 100K or 200K for a coin I'd probably also be looking at other ways to spend my money (there may still be some not heavily pedigreed but still genuine Toulouse Lautrec's or Monet's or other Impressionists or Macchiaioli around. You'd just need to cherrypick.even more than you would have to with coins.
After the retirement Jim's sets were "visible". Among the impressive coins I noticed an 1893-S in MS63, 1892-S in MS66 and an 1895-O in MS64. There were numerous others but those 3 stuck in my mind.
I saw my sets' positions on the listings go up because Jim's sets were retired. I sincerely hope he'll be back with an even nicer series of sets. As a collector I think that the dispersal of a collection is always sad.
cho10

Collecting since the 1980's
Morgan Dollars Circ. Strikes
- Basic Set - Varieties - Prooflike Basic Set - Date Set
- Carson City - Early S Mint Short Set - Mintmark Type Set
Morgan Dollars Proof
- Basic Set - Varieties
Peace Circ.