Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

25th Anniversary China Panda sets.

Has anyone seen the gold and silver panda sets in the U.S. Does anybody think these are a good buy or are cool looking. Or do think these are a waste of money? Thanks, Jeremy

Comments

• Options
    i've seen a few on ebay, just curious about them. i'm unclear on what they consist of.
    is this 1 of each year of issue or are they all dated 2007?
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i've seen a few on ebay, just curious about them. i'm unclear on what they consist of.
    is this 1 of each year of issue or are they all dated 2007? >>

• Options

<< <i>Has anyone seen the gold and silver panda sets in the U.S. Does anybody think these are a good buy or are cool looking. Or do think these are a waste of money? Thanks, Jeremy >>

They are all dated 2007, but each have a different obverse according what it was in the last 25 years for the gold pandas. The same with the silver but they are silver of course. Low mintages for both sets, and the packaging is awesome. These sets were issued dirctly from the Chinese Mint.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    I saw one of the silver sets at the recent Long Beach, CA show. It didn't do much for me.

The coins are 1/4 ounce, so are much smaller than the originals. Buy them if you like them and can afford them. As for resale five or ten years out, that is anyone's guess. They are limiting production and they come in a nice case. One downside is that the melt value is really low considering how much the sets cost, 5 ounces of silver for $500.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    The silver are 1/3 ouncers and the gold are 1/25 ouncers.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These sound pretty cool.
    Links to any pics/prices?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    I just got my set today. All are 1/4 ounce of silver, dated 2007 on the reverse. I paid $399 for my set as I ordered it months ago from Panda America. It's very well done. The box has to be worth $75 alone!

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got my set today. All are 1/4 ounce of silver, dated 2007 on the reverse. I paid $399 for my set as I ordered it months ago from Panda America. It's very well done. The box has to be worth $75 alone!

Lou >>

Looks nice and looks like you got a good deal!
    The silver is selling there for $549 and the gold for $1599.

Wow!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>I just got my set today. All are 1/4 ounce of silver, dated 2007 on the reverse. I paid $399 for my set as I ordered it months ago from Panda America. It's very well done. The box has to be worth $75 alone!

Lou >>

I agree with you Lou. They are extremely well done. I paid $488 for the silver and 1400 for the gold. You did well.
    I noticed they are already more money on Panda America. $549 for silver and 1599 for gold.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, only 1999 on Coin Vault!!!Sorry, have to skip this one...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Very cool set, limited to 30,000 sets! LINKY

I am trying to get several sets from my panda distributor but they may already be sold out.

My eBay Auctions

Silver Eagle Coin Company Website
    Silver Chinese Pandas, Canadian Maple Leafs, Australian Kookaburras, Mexican Libertads, and Austrian Philharmonics NOW AVAILABLE at Excellent Prices!
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

I got my Silver set last Friday. The Presentation box is top notch.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭
    I used to get my silver Pandas at the Long Beach show, but I've been away from active collecting for about five years.

I went last weekend and ALMOST bought the 25th Anniversary set at PandaAmerica (I think it was $675), but didn't want to drop that kind of cash. The dealer in the booth immediately behind PA's booth sold me a set for $475. image

The presentation is awesome but that box is TOTAL overkill for the coins. You could fit, like, three times as many in that box!
    Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    The thing that I don't like with the set is that it will be out of date next year with the release of the 2008 design.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    I wussed out, I didn't buy one earlier in the year when I had the chance.image
  • Options

<< <i>I wussed out, I didn't buy one earlier in the year when I had the chance.image >>

This set is so nice, that the way I see it, you have two options: 1) suck it up and pay $700 from PandaAmerica or 2) kill yourself. Really, there's no other choice. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I wussed out, I didn't buy one earlier in the year when I had the chance.image >>

This set is so nice, that the way I see it, you have two options: 1) suck it up and pay $700 from PandaAmerica or 2) kill yourself. Really, there's no other choice. image >>

Why buy from Panda America for $699 when you can buy it from Apmex for $499.95? ==> clickable link
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This set is so nice, that the way I see it, you have two options: 1) suck it up and pay $700 from PandaAmerica or 2) kill yourself. Really, there's no other choice. image >>

Why buy from Panda America for $699 when you can buy it from Apmex for $499.95? ==> clickable link >>

Conspicuous consumption, my friend! image